What's this icey-cold and wet feeling on my OA knee?

Puschinka
Puschinka Member Posts: 176
edited 27. Jan 2020, 05:20 in Living with Arthritis archive
For the last couple of weeks I have been getting a new, very strange sensation in my worst knee. This is apart from the OA pain and I don't know what to make of it. At times, the area to the left of my right kneecap, where it's always a bit swollen and spongy anyway, suddenly feels icey-cold and sort of wet. Like someone has placed a freezing cold wet cloth on there. A few times I've actually had to check to make sure my leg isn't actually leaking in that area, which of course, it isn't.
It's a really weird sensation and keeps happening, day and night.
Has anyone ever experienced this before?
My right knee is getting more painful anyway, so I'm wondering is this cold/wet sensation associated with the OA, or something to do with nerves in that area? Could it stem from the Arthroscopy I had in February?
Should I mention it to my GP?
Does anyone have any ideas what this is about?
:?
Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I have no idea what this is, Puschinka, so yes, mention it to your GP the next time you see him/her. It could be nerve-related so it's best that they are told. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi Puschinka
    Have you had the knee checked for a bakers cyst..must say it doesn't sound like one, but I remember my hubby saying his knee was always feeling cold, just before he found the cyst, they usually form at the back of the knee.
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Sorry, can’t help, Puschinka, but I’d certainly mention it to the doc when next you see him – or earlier if you don’t. :)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • PollySid
    PollySid Member Posts: 343
    I get that in my feet. It feels as if there is cold water in my shoes.
    Not very often now, but I have always put it down to nerve damage from my back problems.
  • freesia
    freesia Member Posts: 409
    I too experienced weird 'cold' feelings after my arthroscopies...

It was put down to nerve damage.... BUT....please speak to your GP and get it checked out....

Good luck & hope your symptoms ease...

:)
    hugs freesia xxx
  • Folara
    Folara Member Posts: 568
    It sounds like nerve sensation. I get similar on my right foot, it's very disconcerting. Get a docs appointment and get it checked out, if only for your peace of mind.

Fols x
  • purplesparkle
    purplesparkle Member Posts: 38
    I feel something like this but it's like someone has just poured warm water down my leg-it's been so real that I have even thought I had wet myself :lol:
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Puschinka,

Deficiently run that one past the gp and let us know how it goes please?

Really hope its easier today and leaving a knee draft and a hope/ Cris x
  • Puschinka
    Puschinka Member Posts: 176
    Thank you all very much for your replies and advice! :)
    I have googled this and it does indeed look as though it's due to nerve damage and I can only put this down to the arthroscopy, as I never ever experienced it before that. It's becoming more and more frequent and during my many wakeful periods at night :? the icey feeling there is so bad, it actually makes me shiver and feel cold all over.And I can't help checking my knee for leaks, as the wet sensation is so real! Very weird.
    There's a kind of dull ache in that area as well, but that's no doubt the Arthur making itself well and truly at home in my knee joint :( it's a different pain from the one I get when walking.
    Good grief, I never knew there were so many different levels and varying degrees of pain/discomfort/ache the body can experience as I'm learning since all this began :roll:
    Have made an appoinment to see my GP, but he's on his hols, so won't be for neearly a fortnight, but I'll let you know the outcome.
    Maybe he'll just say "I think it's time we got you in that tight fitting wrap around jacket"... , lol.
    Only joking. My GP is great.
    Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans.
  • SnazzySazzy
    SnazzySazzy Member Posts: 3
    I've been having this happen very recently. I don't know why. No pain at all. It comes and goes. But I too keep checking my right knee for leaks lol. It's like something nice and warm was taken off your knee, and you're left with that cold sensation. Or, sometimes like a wet cloth was placed on your knee. So weird.