help needed please

girlarms
girlarms Member Posts: 6
Hi all, 2 weeks ago I went to bed feeling 'normal', when I woke i couldn't get out of bed my ankles were so swollen and painfull. Since then my wrists ache and 2 of my fingers on my left hand get like cramping pains in them. I have been on anti-inflammatories for 4 days and taking pain relief. I had some bloods taken on Wednesday and I got the results today and was told I needed to see the doctor due to a problem with my rsa levels, but no doctor is available till Wednesday. Last night I laid in bed in so much pain my feet are twice there normal size with red ankles and hot to touch, and the pain in my wrist (my wrist also feels very weak) ment I couldn't pick my baby up when he was crying, which upset me. I feel like Wednesday is ages away to find out what's going on. Does this sound like it could be RA. Many thanks xx

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello girlarms and welcome to the forum though I'm sorry you had to find us. I'm just an ordinary forum member, See note below
    This has come on so quickly, you must be in a state of shock. The good news is that your GP seems on the ball though Wednesday is a long time to wait for an appointment. I think (but I'm not sure) that, by law, all surgeries must provide some appointments that can be made on the day so maybe you could ring in early on Monday morning and try for one.

We're not doctors and can't diagnose but your symptoms certainly could indicate RA. If he thinks so, your GP will refer you to a rheumatologist. You may find the anti-inflammatories work better after a few days. If not, your GP can prescribe others. Take them with food though as they can upset your stomach if you don't.

As for your little one, I used to pick mine up by sort of folding(!) them over my forearm and then getting my other hand under their bottoms.

Try not to worry (A tall order I know) and, if you've any questions fire away, especially on Living With Arthritis where more people visit. Take care.

Amended because the helplines team do look after their forum Chat to Helplines every weekend, and all the Bank Holidays.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • lululu
    lululu Member Posts: 486
    Hi girlarms I also am just a forum member, but just wanted to offer some moral support, it does seem a long time for you to have to wait to see your GP. I hope you have someone to help you with your baby, I really feel for you there. I think it would be a good idea for you to phone the AC helpline on Monday they will be able to post some good info.
  • girlarms
    Thank you both for your replies, my husband is helping and also my 3 other children are being very good. I'll ring my doctors on Monday they might have a cancellation appointment. It's all just happend so quickly, that's the scary part xx
  • pinkbritishstars
    pinkbritishstars Member Posts: 731
    Hi Girlsarms,

Just a thought but have you contacted your out of hours Dr?

TakeCare

Pink xxx
  • girlarms
    Hi pink, I did contact the out if hours gp but they said apart from giving me stronger pain relief there's not much they can do until I see my own gp.
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    Hi girlarms

I'm sorry to hear about the pain and swelling you are currently experiencing.

I hope you manage to get an earlier appointment with your doctor.

For information on Testing for arthritis see http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/conditions/arthritis/diagnosis.aspx and http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/inflammatory-arthritis-pathway.aspx.

You are welcome to ring our helplines on 0808 800 4050 if you would like to have a chat about your current situation.

Regards

Nick
    Helplines Team
  • stickywicket
    Hello again, girlarms. I’m glad to hear you have a good husband and supportive family. I hope you managed to get an appointment but, in any case, I hope things might be a little easier for you by now. If not, or if you just feel in need of a bit of tlc do post on Living With Arthritis. There are some great people on there who do understand the difficulties of life with arthritis.
    Steven Wright
  • girlarms
    Thank-you for the replies. The doctor is going to phone tomorrow morning to discuss my results. Things haven't changed, pain and swelling still very bad. My feet are so fat I can't even put my shoes on!!
  • stickywicket
    Tell him this when he rings, girlarm. He might not be able to help much but a change of anti-inflammatories might just help. I’ve done the ‘not being able to get shoes on’ thing and it’s no fun and not a lot of good for your feet. You may have to buy some larger/wider shoes to tide you over until some proper medication can be sorted out. I know several people on LWA use Crocs and other kinds and I'm sure they'd advise if you asked. (I can't as I've been in surgical shoes for years.) Please let us know how you get on tomorrow.
    Steven Wright
  • girlarms
    Sorry I've not updated sooner, but things have not changed. I saw the doctor who said my blood results showed signs of inflammation and to carry on with the diclofenic and trammadol and wait a week and see what happens. Had further blood tests on Friday as now both my hands are numb but painful at the same time, my fingers feel so weak and yesterday I dropped a cup as I couldn't feel/grip it. I know this has only been going on for 5 weeks but all this not knowing is driving me mad. I feel like I'm just moaning and the doctor thinks I'm making it up, he has been signing me of work as I stand in my job for 8 hours at a time and he's said until the swelling goes down I can't return and my employer is not happy with me, so that's extra stress, sorry this has turned more into a rant than an update.
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    hi i know where you are coming from but if not better soon ask for refural to rhummy (sorry if this been covered did not read all the posts) i had inflimation showing and as things were getting worse (more joints affected) mine sent me to rhummy and life is much more under control good luck val
    val
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    Hi girlarms

I’m sorry to hear that you are still in pain and have not yet been referred to a rheumatologist.

As other forum members have mentioned getting to see a rheumatologist is crucial, so you can get an accurate diagnosis of what is going on and the appropriate treatment.

If you experience difficulties getting a referral you can always contact your local Patient Advice Liaison Service for help and advice (http://www.pals.nhs.uk/officemapsearch.aspx).

You are welcome to ring us on 0808 800 4050 if you would like to have a chat about your current situation.

Regards

Nick
    Helplines Team