playground games

katknapp
katknapp Member Posts: 709
edited 18. Apr 2012, 14:54 in Community Chit-chat archive
my daughter brought homework back from school today,we had to answer a questionaire about what we played as children at school during playtime......i was shocked at how little children actually play at playtime nowadays,we used to play british bulldog,kiss chase(although i never realised i had to run slowly) wallsey,two ball,skipping,he-ball,probably all a bit rough but it never harmed us, but everythings so pc and health and saftey that children nowadays have not heard of any of these games so sad! Any games ive missed out???

smiley-sport016.gif

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    'elastic' Katnapp???

I loved elastic :D

clapping games too

eeeeeh them were't days :wink:
  • katknapp
    oh yes elastic but that wouldnt be allowed now might pinch the darlings legs,clapping games, one of them we played was when susie was a baby?i think we were so busy then there wasnt that much bullying as there is now :roll:
  • resusjan
    resusjan Member Posts: 290
    Elastic - that was brilliant - loved it.

About 9 years ago (at the grand old age of 33) I attempted to teach elastics to some of my friends who had never heard of it - its surprisingly hard. Obviously, now, with the RA there is no chance I could do it again
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    What's the time Mr Wolf ? , Queenie queenie who's got the ball ? Hopscotch , I think I'm older than most of you so I sound even more old fashioned . Jillyb
  • Puschinka
    Puschinka Member Posts: 176
    Oh what happy days! I too loved elastic - I didn't grow up in this country but it seems these childhood playground games were a universal thing then and enjoyed by kids everywhere.
    I bet my grandaughter would love elastic. I must tell her about it and try and teach her it if I can.
    Isn't it wonderful how simple happy childhood memories like that can bring a smile to your face. :) ... in spite of everything.
    Thanks for posting this. First time I've smiled today I think.
    Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans.
  • katknapp
    What's the time Mr Wolf ? , Queenie queenie who's got the ball ? Hopscotch , I think I'm older than most of you so I sound even more old fashioned . Jillyb

I can remember whats the time mr wolf and hopscotch,can anyone remember wallsey? such a rough game the health and saftey gang would have a fit nowadays :)
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    cops and robbers,

farmers in his den,

Oranges and lemons,

in and out the dusty bluebells!

They play lots of games at my daughters school and have a playground assistant to specifically start them off.

E :D
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • katknapp
    cops and robbers,

farmers in his den,

Oranges and lemons,

in and out the dusty bluebells!

They play lots of games at my daughters school and have a playground assistant to specifically start them off.

What a good idea to actually have someone teach them these long forgotten games,children need to use their imagination i think everything is handed to them on a plate now, think when we were young making a tent out of an old sheet and a couple of chairs! wedding dresses out of your mums nets,you can just buy it all now,my daughters school had a fancy dress competition and not one costume was homemade,really sad,i got a load of beautiful sari materiel at a bootfair with the intention of making curtains and cushions,katie has nabbed them as dressing up,she parades around decked out like a indian princess(with red hair lol)
  • Puschinka
    Puschinka Member Posts: 176
    I remember putting a skirt on my head to pretend and make me feel like I had long hair s040.gif

I guess that was one of the early warning signs.... :o lol.
    However, my daughters did this too when they were little without any prompting from me. And my grandaughter has a very vivid imagination too and does lots of funny silly things, pretend games etc, that her friends don't.
    My daughter was telling her off the other day and tellling her to 'act her age' and to be a bit more 'mature and responsible' !!! :x ( She's 7 !!! )
    I don't ususally interfere but on that occasion, my daughter got a big lecture from me!
    Mature, responsible... at that age?! I think not!
    Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans.
  • katknapp
    I remember putting a skirt on my head to pretend and make me feel like I had long hair

I guess that was one of the early warning signs.... lol.
    However, my daughters did this too when they were little without any prompting from me. And my grandaughter has a very vivid imagination too and does lots of funny silly things, pretend games etc, that her friends don't.
    My daughter was telling her off the other day and tellling her to 'act her age' and to be a bit more 'mature and responsible' !!! ( She's 7 !!! )
    I don't ususally interfere but on that occasion, my daughter got a big lecture from me!
    Mature, responsible... at that age?! I think not!

Katies the same,i encourage her imagination,not that i have any choice really lol,she uses a towel for hair,kids grow up too fast,i want her to have as much fun as possible! she has a baby doll called janet and she goes everywhere with katie and does a lot of naughty things,my mother in law thinks its time janet retired to a shelf...katies only 5!
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Puschinka wrote:
    I remember putting a skirt on my head to pretend and make me feel like I had long hair s040.gif

Puschinka

my sis and l used to squash a cushion and put it one out heads and play 'Hollish Girls' (Dutch) :oops:

:lol::lol:

Love

Toni xx