ANXIOUS JUST DIAGNOSED

joolswood
joolswood Member Posts: 11
I feel like I am having a nervous breakdown. MRI scan showed arthritis in right knee which was injured 20 years ago. I suffer with nerves and fear of illness and Im scared to even walk anywhere. Horror stories of what i read when looking up on internet, bone on bone etc. wish I hadnt looked it up now. only pain when i walk but pain is horrble and i don't want this, I can't cope!!!! please help me somebody.

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    hi i am a member of forum but just want to say i know it is scary and you will go through a range of feelings but try not to worry it is not as bad as you are worrying there is lots can be done to help go talk it over with your gp to put your mind at rest or phone help lines here they are very good stay strong we will help you through val
    val
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Ho Joolswood

I am a member of the forum and am sorry that you are having problems with your knee. Perhaps the internet was not the best way for you to glean information.This forum would have been a better place perhaps. :) I have had both knees replaced and never regretted it for an instant and am still here to tell the tale. :lol: Have you been to see your gp and if you have been diagnosed with osteo arthritis (OA) then you should be prescribed anti inflammatories and painkillers. Physio can be beneficial too. You can be referred for that. It is best to keep the knee moving as well as resting it.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    Hi Joolswood,

Welcome to the forum, we're glad you've found us.
    As well as echoing Elna's consistently impeccable suggestions, I wonder if you might consider giving us a call on the above number as I would very much hope that we'd be able to allay your fears a little.
    As you already live with anxiety, a new diagnosis is a very scary thing to come to terms with. We're here to listen and may be able to suggest ways for you to manage your pain. In the meantime you might be better off giving the internet horror stories a wide berth.

Best wishes
    Paul
  • freesia
    freesia Member Posts: 409
    Hi joolswood

I too have recently been diagnosed.... It is scary.... but,

I have recently joined this wonderful forum, it is a wealth of support & help in times of need.....

Obviously I cannot give medical advice - you must see your GP for that, they should be able to advise you on pain relief and treatment ect... But I too suffer severe anxiety and am on medication...

One thing I have learnt, is that whilst the internet is a good source of information.... Sometimes too much information can send your head spinning even more... Speaking with those that are in the same situation I find helps more...

Good Luck & see you around the forum - you are NOT alone.... freesia
    hugs freesia xxx
  • joolswood
    freesia wrote:
    Hi joolswood

I have recently joined this wonderful forum, it is a wealth of support & help in times of need.....

Obviously I cannot give medical advice - you must see your GP for that, they should be able to advise you on pain relief and treatment ect... But I too suffer severe anxiety and am on medication...

One thing I have learnt, is that whilst the internet is a good source of information.... Sometimes too much information can send your head spinning even more... Speaking with those that are in the same situation I find helps more...

Hi thankyou for taking the trouble to reply to me, what is scary is not knowing what to expect and how bad it is, I only want it to be mild and not get any worse. I wish I could meet people who have the same thing..my mind is on it 24/7 my mind is making it worse.....
  • joolswood
    freesia wrote:
    Hi joolswood

Hi thanks for your reply, sorry to hear yu suffer from anxiety too. The doc has upped my anti depressants, I worry about getting all kinds of illnessess, I want to be able to look back on this oneday, I have never been ill before and always thought arthritis was a minor thing...i dread walking. Im even too scared to ring the helpline incase I hear something I don't want to hear.
  • joolswood
    valval wrote:
    hi i am a member of forum but just want to say i know it is scary and you will go through a range of feelings but try not to worry it is not as bad as you are worrying there is lots can be done to help go talk it over with your gp to put your mind at rest or phone help lines here they are very good stay strong we will help you through val

thankyou for taking the trouble to reply to me, I have been to my GP today and she has given me ibruprofen and upped my anti depressants.
    They gave me the news as if it was nothing and gave me no information. my mind is my enemy and it keeps jumping to worst case senarios.
  • joolswood
    valval wrote:

thankyou for your kind reply, I phoned a local group but they have not got back to me. I am scared to ring the helpline incase I hear something I don't want to hear. I just want something I can cope with and not feel overwhelmed
  • joolswood
    Hi Joolswood,

Welcome to the forum, we're glad you've found us.
    As well as echoing Elna's consistently impeccable suggestions, I wonder if you might consider giving us a call on the above number as I would very much hope that we'd be able to allay your fears a little.
    As you already live with anxiety, a new diagnosis is a very scary thing to come to terms with. We're here to listen and may be able to suggest ways for you to manage your pain. In the meantime you might be better off giving the internet horror stories a wide berth.

Best wishes
    Paul
    thankyou for your reply, I am still trying to pluck up courage to ring the helpline, I don't want to hear anything to make me worse....I have ibruprofen and my anti depressants have been upped. Its not knowing how bad and how much it might get worse etc. plus I am such a nervous person.
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi Jools

I understand you may have reservations in calling the helplines, which is only natural but from what I have heard from others who have done just that, it has been one of the best things they have done at the time. The helplines team are extremely dedicated and patient and talk to so many different types of people every day they are very used to callers being nervous, upset, bursting into tears and you will very soon be put at ease. It is good to talk and I am pretty sure that by the time you put the phone down, you will feel relieved and proud of yourself that you had the courage to call. :)

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • easethepain
    easethepain Member Posts: 4
    Hi jools...like you i have just been diagnosed with Artritis in my spine and hip...i have had multible back surgerys for disc problems so no suprise i have arthritis...IM new on hear and i havent spoken to the help line yet either.
    When i saw the doctor WHO said about the onset of Arthritis he didnt really say much...it was a case of "ok get on with" only really excercise as i have been a long term sufferer if back problems i do handle it quite well i take regular pain meds. After my second spine surgery i did have a conditon called foot drop and was tempory paralysed which had effected me dearly. IM up and walking now but let with a limp and have to wear a leg brace.I am trying to look for a PHYSIO or someone who can relieve some of the pain,maybe a bit of message. I will have to go private as i dont really want to go back to my doctor as i feel that i will be a pain.I would like to go swimming but the normal swimming pool is far to cold for me,i Am more comfortable in a hydrotherapy pool,but dont know how to go about finding one of them.
    Stay strong and i hope i get some answers on here. :D
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    Hi jools...like you i have just been diagnosed with Artritis in my spine and hip...i have had multible back surgerys for disc problems so no suprise i have arthritis...IM new on hear and i havent spoken to the help line yet either.
    When i saw the doctor WHO said about the onset of Arthritis he didnt really say much...it was a case of "ok get on with" only really excercise as i have been a long term sufferer if back problems i do handle it quite well i take regular pain meds. After my second spine surgery i did have a conditon called foot drop and was tempory paralysed which had effected me dearly. IM up and walking now but let with a limp and have to wear a leg brace.I am trying to look for a PHYSIO or someone who can relieve some of the pain,maybe a bit of message. I will have to go private as i dont really want to go back to my doctor as i feel that i will be a pain.I would like to go swimming but the normal swimming pool is far to cold for me,i Am more comfortable in a hydrotherapy pool,but dont know how to go about finding one of them.
    Stay strong and i hope i get some answers on here. :D

Hello from the helpline team and a warm welcome to the forum. You can find physiotherapists in your area if you contact the Chartered Society of Physiotherapists. You can access their website on the link http://www.csp.org.uk/ and contact your local hospitals to see if there are any hydrotherapy pools near you. Our helpline number is 0808 800 4050 (10am – 4pm, Monday to Fridays) and you are welcome to call us if you would like to talk things through with our helpline team.

Best Wishes
    Dawn