KINDLE ???

Lupin25
Lupin25 Member Posts: 35
edited 29. Apr 2012, 14:45 in Community Chit-chat archive
Am seriously thinking about getting a kindle, and am wondering if anyone has one and can give me some feedback. I don't know anyone who has got one & am a complete technophobe so am wondering how easy they are to work!

Comments

• elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hiya

I havent got one but my mum got given one at christmas and she loves it..She is 80 and is able to work it perfectly even when the WiFi had a hissy fit she figured out how to rectify it....The books are dirt cheap too, she pays 99p most times...Only fault id say is hers dont have a light feature so cant read it when its darker eg in car...

Elainex
    Lupin25 wrote:
    Am seriously thinking about getting a kindle, and am wondering if anyone has one and can give me some feedback. I don't know anyone who has got one & am a complete technophobe so am wondering how easy they are to work!
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    hi i got one for christmas from the boys it great was not sure would like it but i can make writting larger when having eye probs does not hurt hands same way books did go for it easy to use can even buy books at 2 in morning when unable to sleep val
    val
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    edited 22. Apr 2012, 13:50
    I am a recent Kindle convert and I love mine! I bought it because I was having trouble reading normal size text and, like Val says, you can increase the text size. Be aware though that I have found the text sizing options are very variable depending on the books so sometimes you seem to have only a choice of slightly larger than normal text or HUGE text (just a few words per line). You can also download sample pages of most books so you can have a look before you buy to see if you think you will enjoy it. There is also a good selection of free or low price books to choose from. I have found that most recent books are available on Kindle but some of my old favourites are sadly not available because they were published too long ago.

On a practical level, I do find it hard on my hands in terms of holding it and turning the pages, specially if I have the text size high so am turning the pages more often. But a friend and fellow forum member recommended buying a Kindle cover and folding it backwards which gives something "thicker" to hold on to and makes it much easier. Branded Kindle accessories can be expensive but my cover was a real cheapie and has made all the difference. Like Elaine says, there is no inbuilt light so you will need to buy one if you want to read in poor light or at night without disturbing anyone. But you don't have to buy a "proper" Kindle one - mine was a cheap and cheerful clip on book light. It doesn't come with a mains charger as standard, although you can charge it via the computer. But a mains charger does mean you can charge much more quickly (although I don't find mine needs charging too often).

For me, the very best thing about it is, as Val says, being able to download books instantly day or night, which is great if you can't get out to a bookshop. You will need to set up an Amazon account to download books but I found that easy, even though I hadn't done it before. Just be aware though that once you are set up, it is very easy to buy a book by accident, which I have done several times, but you can "undo" any purchasing errors easily thank goodness.

Good luck if you do decide to go ahead with it.

Tillyxxx
  • thewifie
    thewifie Member Posts: 79
    I got one from my kids for my 60th birthday and love it ! With the cover it is easy to use and got a clip light but often just switch on lamp which is enough.

You can download Kindle for PC which means you can have the books on your pc to read as well. You could look at them then decide if you want to buy a Kindle to go with them ! Make sure you check which Kindle you are buying, some are for wifi and some are 3G I think so if you don't have these you are snookered ! Mine was wifi and I had to get a wifi router to use it properly as some of the functions only work with wifi.

The only downside I would say is that the keyboard on the wifi one is digital and not very easy to use quickly but otherwise no complaints.
    You only get one life, love it, live it, grow old disgracefully !!
  • rondetto
    rondetto Member Posts: 2,526
    They are very popular now.

[Text deleted as it was direct advertising which isn't allowed on the forum House Rule 2. The forum is not a shop so please don’t advertise or promote products and services on the forum in any way]

YEH
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    I have downloaded the kindle to my laptop, its free and could give you an idea if you would get on with it...the big issue really is you have to hold it..so if your hand are painful it may be hard
    And I have read Rons book...one word... brilliant I am waiting for the next one :D
    Love
    Barbara
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    I've had a Sony eReader for two years now - it's virtually the same as a Kindle.

I have difficulty holding a 'real' book open and even have to balance paperweights on top so I can read in comfort which is fine till I turn a page!! :roll:

My eReader is light and easy to fit in a bag with a huge selection of books on it. It needs charging about every three weeks and is invaluable. My cover converts to a stand so I sit comfortably at a table and read ...........no hands!!!

Trouble is kind friends keep loaning me paperbacks to read and I can't get round to my eReader :lol::lol: The one downside is that you can't swap books with friends.

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • liesa
    liesa Member Posts: 821
    i have one and love it!

hubby bought it as a gift last august, its so easy for my hands to hold in comparison against a paperback book, i go to the supermarket and look at the books i know i will like i take a pic of them as memory is bad and then go online and buy them when home, also if u go on facebook and join kindle there it sends u messages with freebies so a certain amount of books u can get for nothing
    love and hugs
    8997C823B17A6252CBCA252F4BF2932D.png
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Best thing i have had for ages,i always get the free ones,all the classics are there i have read my favs from childhood like children of the new forest and a tale of two cities.Mig
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    I ADORE my kindle too :D

My youngest linked her mobile to mine and she can read my books too.

I too have my cover folded backwards like Tilly and bought a cheap clip on light. Very useful for reading in the car while waiting to pick up one of my kids from somewhere or other :wink:

Love

Toni xx

I am reading 'Room' at the mo...anyone read it?

Love

Toni xx
  • barking1
    barking1 Member Posts: 185
    After reading all the posts i am going to buy a kindle :lol: the pain in my hand made me think about it a while ago but couldnt decide well now i am deffinatly going to get one so thanks all for the info xx jane
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    frogmorton wrote:

I am reading 'Room' at the mo...anyone read it?

Love

Toni xx

I've not read it Toni and have a voucher to spend, is it any good and who's it by?

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    I love mine, I find it so much easier to hold than a book. My KIndle and my PS vita, are essentials for sleepless nights!
    Toni, I have read Room. I really enjoyed it.
    Numpty
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Legs

Room is by Emma Donoghue.

It is really good :D

Not my usual scary-type at all :wink:

Numpty will back me up l think.

Love

Toni xxx
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Love my kindle too :D

juliepf x
  • desjumeaux
    desjumeaux Member Posts: 52
    Hi all

I got a kindle for Christmas and I love it, now hubby has one, my sister and her hubby have them.

My hubby and me share books from Amazon, and I have had quite a few free books which have been good. You dont need the expensive kindle the £89 one is good.

You can put your books back onto the Amazon account and get them back again later so you dont need to store the books on your kindle.

Its great for reading in bed and very light, also you can get a leather cover from as little as £5.00 on ebay you dont need to buy the kindle one.
  • coco67
    coco67 Member Posts: 2,374
    i love my kindle, its given me back the joy i had from reading, i have a cover for it which i got off ama**n and a little clip on light which is awsome. fully recomend them to anyone concidering one.