Book Club

bubbadog
bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
edited 14. Apr 2017, 04:24 in Community Chit-chat archive
After reading the thread about the Kindle and seeing how many people have Kindle's and read. And people like myself who prefer proper books I thought it would be fun if we had a book club, where people could review books they have read and give a rating on how good they are.
So I'll start it off!

Breaking dawn by Stephenie Meyer

After reading all the Twilight books and enjoying them more than the films I was ready to read the last book Breaking Dawn. I went into reading it thinking it couldn't beat all the other books because it was the last book. How wrong I was it captivated me from the first page and is a real page turner. I would even go as far as saying it's the best book in the saga. The fact it's a two part book got me excited before I even started reading it. Make sure when you come to read it you have a good block of time free because you woun't beable to put it down! If your a Twilight fan you will enjoy it and if your not a fan your'll still enjoy it!

Rating:- *****

Comments

• Turbogran
    Turbogran Member Posts: 2,023
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Bubba
    I have read all twilight books in the saga and enjoyed them all

my rating:- also *****
    Stay positive always👍xx
  • Turbogran
    I have recently read the Tales of a midwife series by Jennifer Worth
    3 books Call the midwife (recently shown on tv ),
    Shadows of the workhouse
    Farewell to the East end
    all very enlightening could not put them down

Rating :-*****
    Stay positive always👍xx
  • marrianne
    marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
    Hi Bubiba Thats a splendid idea,Been at the hospital in between bloods hydro etc I have been readingConfessions of a bad girl.its about Clare King who played Kim Tate in Emmerdale also she had a part as a prison govenor in bad Girls .......the reason I am reading this is mainly because she has R/Arthritis yet was on strictly dancing with Brendan Cole also the riding and owning race horses I havent read the Twilight books but they sound very good Turbogran I very much enjoyed the television program Tales of a Midwife I didnt know there was a book out excellent cannot rate my book yet as I have only read a couple of chapters Happy Reading everyone Marrianne :)
  • Turbogran
    Hi Marrianne
    There are 3 single books as i put in my last post or all three in one book.
    Stay positive always👍xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Great thread :D

I have just finished reading 'room' by Emma Donaghue.

This was a fabulous read and very very hard to put down to return tothe real world I would give it a 5* and folks it will 'stay with you'

I have three teenage girls so have not escaped teh wtighlight saga and of course it was brilliant.

Love

Toni xxx
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Amanda,

Good idea flower..... I have trouble reading cus of the blur in my eyes.... I do love books and so far have got the ones I love the most on the kindle... can we still join with those instead of the book? If I could read better I would go for a book each time but the kindle has really given me back the ability to read again and I have got the books I love the most...

including Winnie the Pooh of course :roll:

No we are 6 and also when we are young... I love the poems, say them often to the employers as well as a it of black eyed peas when they are being most demanding :lol: but they are now on the kindle cus the books..... I can still read Pooh actually :wink:

Good thread but I can;t do books so well now a days but can I still say about the books?

Oh Twilight saga's are brilliant and I so agree with you they got better each book.... Not sure about the films though.. again the eyes can;t cope with the big screen and I keep forgetting to get the dvd's :roll:

Leaving you a cuppa and Bubba a sachet of food. Cris x
  • bubbadog
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Amanda,

Good idea flower..... I have trouble reading cus of the blur in my eyes.... I do love books and so far have got the ones I love the most on the kindle... can we still join with those instead of the book? If I could read better I would go for a book each time but the kindle has really given me back the ability to read again and I have got the books I love the most...

including Winnie the Pooh of course :roll:

No we are 6 and also when we are young... I love the poems, say them often to the employers as well as a it of black eyed peas when they are being most demanding :lol: but they are now on the kindle cus the books..... I can still read Pooh actually :wink:

Good thread but I can;t do books so well now a days but can I still say about the books?

Oh Twilight saga's are brilliant and I so agree with you they got better each book.... Not sure about the films though.. again the eyes can;t cope with the big screen and I keep forgetting to get the dvd's :roll:

Leaving you a cuppa and Bubba a sachet of food. Cris x

You can still leave reviews from using Kindles or any E-book as they are still books in a way. Pleased the thread has taken off! Happy reading everyone!!!
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen I rate as ***** and remains my favourite book - the film is not as good as the book as is usually the case.

Just read The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton I rate as ***** as it's an excellent read.

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold is another *****

Amazon gives a synopsis of all these books if you're interested in having a look to see if they're your type of book.

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • marrianne
    And we must not be scared if our book is Enid Blyton ...Mills and Boon what ever ...........please post :) Marrianne
  • coco67
    coco67 Member Posts: 2,374
    ive read all of karen rose, and am now reading the sugar girls stories,

on my kindle, find it easier than a book im affraid.
  • ruby2
    ruby2 Member Posts: 423
    Cant hold my phone for long ...how do you get on holding the Kindles ..I am really missing my books.
    Ruby
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Ruby2, my kindle is in a cover which I can fold back and clip: that gives a handy 'hinge' in which I can stick a thumb. (It also came with a free light for night-time reading). I rest it on a pillow on the poorer days.

I'm currently working my way through Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons, an old favourite which is worthy of ten stars butb happily earns five. A surprisingly good read was Drowning Rose by Marika Cobbold - I would also give that *****. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • ruby2
    ruby2 Member Posts: 423
    Thanks DD must be time to invest I think missing the books alot x
    Good idea real the pillow I can so see how that would work.
    :)
    Ruby
  • waddle
    waddle Member Posts: 116
    Ruby i would be lost without mine now, i too have a case, i got it for fiver off ama*** its just as good as the kindle ones and makes it even easier to use, i also prop mine up on a pillow and just use one finger to tap the button on the side to turn the page, real easy and comfortable, well worth getting.
    Waddle :)
  • marrianne
    Have yet to try a kindle.What happens if it falls in the bath ? This has happend at least three times a book is easy to dry out or cheap to replace .Just finnished Horse Play ,its light hearted easy ....summer reading .....I know what summer ?...Its written by Jo Carnegie and for lovers of horses and aga sagas its as good as her previous .Marrianne :)
  • bubbadog
    Belle De Jour - The further Adventures of a London Call Girl

Ladies, Ladies, Ladies!! If you want a book that will make you giggle, blush and leave your jaw on the floor you must read these books! The ITV series was a little rude but the books take it to another level. After reading the 1st book Belle De Jour, The Secret Diary Of A Call Girl in a weekend I started reading this book to see if it was as naughty, and I wasn't disappointed! All weekend when my OH was watching the football he had to put up with me saying 'honey,honey you have to listen to this bit....' And at some parts he was raising his eye brows!
    If you want a fun book that's an easy read and will give you some idea's in the bedroom department! The Belle De Jour books are for you! Enjoyable books that keep you gripped to the last page!

Rating:-*****
  • marrianne
    Oh go on then :lol: ...........Loved the television prog Marrianne :)
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Marriane

my kindle has a waterproof cover for baths and holidays (where swimming pools might be :D )

Also it has text to talk so you could just 'play' the book as you soak.....

and Bubbadog :shock: l am shocked rudey books eh? :wink:

Might have to think about that one :lol:

Love

Toni xx
  • bubbadog
    Back to reading 'Breaking Dawn' again so I woun't re -review it!! Has anyone else finished a book recently? Remember please review after reading!!
  • lindalegs
    I've just finished Me Before You by JoJo Moyles

This is a wonderful read. It is a love story and whatever you think the outcome will be I can guarantee you will cry at the end.

Someone loaned it to me but I shall buy it too for my bookshelf because I know I'll read it again.

5 *****

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
  • bubbadog
    Thank you Linda, for someone to buy a book after borrowing it, it must be a good read, will find it and put it on my wish list on Amazon to buy it next time I want to get a book.
  • lindalegs
    bubbadog wrote:
    Thank you Linda, for someone to buy a book after borrowing it, it must be a good read, will find it and put it on my wish list on Amazon to buy it next time I want to get a book.

You won't regret it Bubba :D

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    I've just finished reading the best modern novel I have
    read in years. It is " My dear I wanted to tell you" by
    Louisa Young.
    An absolute cracking read. It was on BBC Book at
    Bedtime a few weeks ago and you can download it onto
    your kindle for a couple of quid or so.
  • bubbadog
    Sounds great, another great book to add to the book club, a review on the book would be helpful if you can. 2 great sounding books add. Happy Reading guys & dolls! :D
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    Time scene: before, during and just after 1914-18 war; young couple
    on the brink of falling in love and he volunteers to join the army; graphic, but well written war scenes; she becomes a volunteer nurse;
    in last stages of war he is wounded and facially disfigured and tries to
    end the relationship but all is well in the end. Another couple are involved
    but in different but conjoined circumstances.
    The author's descriptive passages are authoritative, particularly those
    dealing with the battle scenes and the early days of plastic surgery.
    I think I'll read it again.