Fears and Phobias

lindalegs
lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
edited 8. May 2012, 15:39 in Community Chit-chat archive
tin-can.jpg
I was washing out a tin can the other day and realised that I am really afraid of the sharp lids that come off an opened can. I have handled them very gingerly for years, always afraid of cutting myself …….and sometimes succeeding :roll: but I’m getting so that I avert my gaze from them as I can’t bear the sight almost. :| I reckon I’m getting worse so I do make myself handle them but even typing this now, the thought is making me clench my stomach in. I think my fear could become a phobia if I didn’t touch them at all so I have to control it before it gets out of hand.

I’m fine with knives because they have a handle on.

What is your fear because everyone is afraid of something?

Luv,
Love, Legs x
'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'

Comments

• RosieGlow
    RosieGlow Member Posts: 175
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I`ve always disliked lifts, so just avoided them, and didn`t think too much about it. Now, however, there are times when I have to use them, and it is becoming a big problem. I have realised that it isn`t claustrophobia, but actually a fear of the lift breaking down, and being stuck in it. I know that I would go into complete meltdown in that situation. I have to deal with this, as it rather spoiled a beautiful hotel room with a glorious seaview, on holiday in Spain last year, and I`m determined it won`t happen this year.

Have you thought of getting the One Touch can opener Lindalegs? So easy to use, and they leave a smooth edge on the lid, so no chance of cutting yourself.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Wow Legs

Now that is an unusual one for sure, but based on sense really....after all you can cut yourself on cans :?

Like you my fears have grown with age. I think you are wise to try to tackle yours as well.

I was only fearful of spiders in my youth, but can now add :- heights, enclosed spaces, escalators (esp DOWN ones :shock: ), and needles (the latter make my teeth chatter and legs shake :oops:

The other thing l can avoid :lol:

Love

Toni xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Fear: spiders. Phobia: drowning. Nightmare: pub running out of beer. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    I am always frightened of lorries coming into our lane and not seeing us :?
    This happened to my brother the other week as a lorry clipped his cars backend and spun him round and pushed him sideways up the motorway slip road. My brother was ok thank goodness, very shaken and jolted about but nothing too serious. His car however is a right off.

I also hate putting stuff in the oven. Mine is a combi oven/microwave so its much easier than the big oven as it is on the work top and the right height. (never use the microwave function) I am always bothered about burning myself on the wrists as I put stuff in.
    I do try oven gloves but I can not manage properly with them. :roll:

Like you legs, I also hate tin cans for fear of cutting myself.

juliepf x
  • lindalegs
    RosieGlow wrote:

Have you thought of getting the One Touch can opener Lindalegs? So easy to use, and they leave a smooth edge on the lid, so no chance of cutting yourself.

I have a Kenwood electric can opener but thanks for the suggestion Rosie. I would think even with the One Touch smooth edge, the thin metal could still cut you .....................just gritting my teeth at the thought there :shock:

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
  • lindalegs
    I couldn't shop without lifts and loads of people are afraid of spiders which I don't mind at all but I'm not fond of worms.

That was a horrible experience for your brother Julie, I'm glad he's okay. Burning ourselves on the oven or iron is an occupational hazard for us all especially if our reach is impaired.

Can't and won't even consider escalators :shock:

I have more fears than I realised :roll:

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
  • RosieGlow
    RosieGlow Member Posts: 175
    lindalegs wrote:
    RosieGlow wrote:

I have a Kenwood electric can opener but thanks for the suggestion Rosie. I would think even with the One Touch smooth edge, the thin metal could still cut you .....................just gritting my teeth at the thought there :shock:

Luv,

I have the Culinare, and it sort of rolls the rough edge of the lid over as it whizzes round, so there really is nothing to cut you Legs.......Honest.... I`ve just opened a tin of soup!!.....Rosie...x.
  • lindalegs
    RosieGlow wrote:

I have the Culinare, and it sort of rolls the rough edge of the lid over as it whizzes round, so there really is nothing to cut you Legs.......Honest.... I`ve just opened a tin of soup!!.....Rosie...x.

Thanks Rosie ........and I do believe you :lol::lol: It's justifying a Onetouch when the Kenwood works perfectly okay and would be redundant as Kenwood's are built to last ...............and last ...............and last! :roll: I'll bear it in mind if I outlive it :lol:

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Legs

l am glad to hear l'm not the only scared person :oops:

escalators are SCARY!!!

Love

Toni xx
  • lindalegs
    rehab44 wrote:
    SCUTTLES!!!!!!!!!!! I hate them.

I thought a scuttle was a large metal trowel, is there another meaning or are you work shy Len? :wink::lol:

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
  • lindalegs
    rehab44 wrote:

From the rehab44 dictionary: Big hairy multi-legged creatures that Scuttle across your carpet :D

Coo, must invest in a copy of that dictionary, I'm sure it'll give words a whole new meaning :shock: :lol:

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Legs you know mine....

RATS and I go into the all out panic attack... can't breath the lot....

Trouble is I get them here and when I first came here they coming out the walls all over the barn.... Completely freaked me as they really were everywhere....

I get the tin can one though and also knives in the washing up bowl.... I have got that one wrong so often now they have to be handles sticking up or I wont use that water and stand them up before washing them....

Odd what we get scared of isn't it?

I answered this just now but must have got side tracked and not hit the submit button.

Leaving you tea, a warm sunny day draft and a sleep well potion. Love Cris who is def a bit hight xx
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    yep, even us hard Northern Yorkshire Blokes have a phobia..
    Cris knows mine well..
    Horses.. I cringe and shake at the very sight of them. I actually look away if I have to drive near one... If at all possible I pull up somewhere till the beast has gone..
    Yuck... Not a fan. :oops:

I love spiders.. Janet is petrified though. I won't kill em so I catch n release lol
    Oh, and for some reason in the past few yrs I suddenly became very averse to heights.. Was never bothered before.. I guess I too am getting old :roll: Lol

Think that's it..
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    skezier wrote:
    Legs you know mine....

RATS and I go into the all out panic attack... can't breath the lot....

Trouble is I get them here and when I first came here they coming out the walls all over the barn.... Completely freaked me as they really were everywher

Saw a fox in the garden eating a rat! I wouldn't encourage you to get one though Cris.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • marrianne
    marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
    GERMS :oops: :oops: :oops: you should see my hands.Marrianne
  • lindalegs
    I knew yours was rats Cris. My friend's husband had to kill one the other day because it was living in their loft, trouble was they caught it in a trap first and I won't go into detail but she said it didn't want to die and fought all the way ...............as you'd expect. :( Sending you some blinkers so you don't see them and a cuppa too.

Tony yours is an unusual one and I can only assume you had a bad experience with one/some :?

Del be scared be very scared :shock:

Have you got a fear Elizabeth? I assume it's not foxes. :D

Oooooooh Marrianne you must be constantly worried, I'm sending you some hand cream to soothe your pinkies.

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    I dint think it's unusual Legs.. They're horrible beasts lol.
    When our Daughter Toni was little I had to make her mum take her on the donkeys, they're just mega-concentrated horses :o:lol:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • lindalegs
    There are a lot of Tonies in your house Tony! :wink:

I think they're beautiful creatures .......donkeys their not-so-good-looking cousin :lol:

No one can explain why we have such aversions to certain things.

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Have you got a fear Elizabeth? I assume it's not foxes. :D

I am a bit scared of foxes and won't leave the back door open during the hot weather (not that we have had any for ages).

I'm afraid its that old chestnut SPIDERS.
    I did once stroke and hold a tarantula but they are much more fluffy than your average house spider.

I also have a phobia of cybermen!!!!
    E x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • lindalegs
    Mr Legs loves maps and insists on showing me where we're going ........I would prefer to look at pictures rather than squiggly lines, what am I supposed to admire about them????

'E' I have a friend who can't even look at daleks! :shock: so you're not on your own.

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
  • PollySid
    PollySid Member Posts: 343
    Bats, if there is one on the tv I have to shut my eyes and trust Alan to tell me when it's gone. They have such evil looking little faces :(

Anything dead, I hold my breath if I walk past a dead bird.
    We had a cat that used to bring us dead things to the doorstep. I can remember putting my rubber gloves on, getting the long handled spade, carrying the dead bird/mammal at arms length and throwing it over the hedge into the field, all the time holding my breath. Then I threw the gloves away and washed my hands more than once (even though I hadn't touched it).
    My other trick was to cover the dead thing with a large plant pot and leave a note for Alan to dispose of it.
  • lindalegs
    Do you think 'dead' is catching Polly? :shock:

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    This is going to sound daft but I can’t stand the sound of apples being pealed or eaten I have to get away from the sound, I know people don’t like nails on a black board but that doesn’t worry me one bit but apples no way, I can’t eat them for the same reason although I can eat them cooked. And pealing spuds or cutting celery up sounds similar but doesn’t bother me, how strange am I?
  • PollySid
    PollySid Member Posts: 343
    lindalegs wrote:
    Do you think 'dead' is catching Polly? :shock:

Luv,
    I don't know what the reason is Linda, I have been like this for as long as I can remember. I am not a vegetarian and can handle raw meat, as long as it is just that - a piece of meat. Turkeys with heads and feet on or whole carcasses would be a no-no.
  • gilly1957
    gilly1957 Member Posts: 212
    Hmmmm, i have a couple of phobias

number one is spiders....i have to suck them up with the hoover,sorry :)

moths in the flat will send me into the screaming hab dabs lol

AND..........this is an odd one, taking the neck out of a dead lol...turkey...i just cant do it...

:)