What are the best supplements to take for RA?

Options
Cellbar
Cellbar Member Posts: 9
Hi - I am a 46 year old female and suffer badly with OA and have done for many years along with other things like FM and migraine, TN, TMJ, IBS and GORD and am very limited on what meds I can take.

I have just had to come off HRT becasue it was making me so ill and I wanted to know what supplements I can take to help me with my OA and help me avoid OP in the future. I have just been referred to ortho's at the hospital because of the problems with my feet/walking due to the arthritis in my feet and toe joints and the pain is through the roof :-(

I have read that I should be taking calcium, Vit D and K, Zinc and magnesium, but can I also take fish oils at the same time, or what about glucosamine..? Its mind boggling!! Please help.

I should say that I am taking co-codamol 50/500/mebeverine and topamax (50mg).

Thanks in advance.
We are the only who make life difficult......

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Cellbar, I am only a forum member and not from the Helpline team. I think one is able to take fish oils with any of the other supplements you mention: I have OA in my knees and ankles and take calcium with added vit D (when I remember!) but I don't take zinc as that boosts the immune system and my other arthritis is an auto-immune type and the meds I have for that suppress it. These things won't necessarily do you any harm but, in view of your other health troubles, I think it best to check with your GP that you are able to try them. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,493
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Cellbar wrote:
    Hi - I am a 46 year old female and suffer badly with OA and have done for many years along with other things like FM and migraine, TN, TMJ, IBS and GORD and am very limited on what meds I can take.

I have just had to come off HRT becasue it was making me so ill and I wanted to know what supplements I can take to help me with my OA and help me avoid OP in the future. I have just been referred to ortho's at the hospital because of the problems with my feet/walking due to the arthritis in my feet and toe joints and the pain is through the roof :-(

I have read that I should be taking calcium, Vit D and K, Zinc and magnesium, but can I also take fish oils at the same time, or what about glucosamine..? Its mind boggling!! Please help.

I should say that I am taking co-codamol 50/500/mebeverine and topamax (50mg).

Thanks in advance.

Dear Cellbar

Thank you for your posting. As Dreamdaisy has suggested you should always check out any supplements you want to try with your GP before you take them.

If you look at the booklet on Complementary and alternative medicine for arthritis by Arthritis Research on the link http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/~/media/Files/Arthritis-information/Therapies/2007-Complementary-and-alternative-medicine.ashx this will give you information about the different supplements that may be beneficial for those with arthritis. They also have a special report on supplements that look at the safety and effectiveness of these. You can access this on http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/complementary-therapies/~/media/Files/Arthritis-information/Additional-items/CAM Report.ashx
    I hope this information helps and you are very welcome to contact us on the helpline on 0808 800 4500 (weekdays, 10am – 4pm).
    Best Wishes
    Dawn