Ankle joint fusion?

PACannon
PACannon Member Posts: 6
This is my first visit to the Forum and I wondered if anyone has had an ankle joint fusion and what they think of the results? I have just been offered this surgery, first they want to fuse my left ankle and following recovery my right! This would have me out of work for a year which I can't afford to do. What would be the implications of not having the surgery done, apart from the obvious of continued pain.
I am 50 years old and have had osteoarthritis for about 15 years, and I am told I am too young for an ankle replacement.
I would welcome hearing of others experiences. x :?

Comments

• tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello and welcome to the forum.

I am a forum member, not a member of the helpline team but just wanted to say that, if you repost your message on the Living With Arthritis (LWA) I think you will get some helpful replies. We are a friendly, knowledgeable bunch and you will be made very welcome.

Look forward to seeing you posting.

Tillyxxx
  • PACannon
    PACannon Member Posts: 6
    Thank you Tilly, will do! x
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,482
    PACannon wrote:
    This is my first visit to the Forum and I wondered if anyone has had an ankle joint fusion and what they think of the results? I have just been offered this surgery, first they want to fuse my left ankle and following recovery my right! This would have me out of work for a year which I can't afford to do. What would be the implications of not having the surgery done, apart from the obvious of continued pain.
    I am 50 years old and have had osteoarthritis for about 15 years, and I am told I am too young for an ankle replacement.
    I would welcome hearing of others experiences. x :?

Dear PA Cannon

Thank you for your posting and the helpline team would very much like to welcome you to the forum. Ankle fusion is usually seen as an option if your ankle is very severely affected and will usually eliminate the pain you are in while having less mobility. It may be helpful to bear in mind that as we are all individuals so everyone’s experience of having a fusion will vary and speaking to your surgeon about your concerns should help answer some of your questions. If you look on the following link http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/~/media/Files/Arthritis-information/Surgery/2046-Foot-and-ankle-surgery.ashx this will lead you to the booklet on foot and ankle surgery by Arthritis Research while our factsheet Osteoarthritis of the ankle is on the link http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Listedbytype/Factsheets/main_content/OAanklefactsheet2012.pdf will give you further information about ankle fusion.
    I hope this information has been helpful. If you would like to talk this through further you can always ring us here on the helpline on 0808 800 4050 (weekdays 10am – 4pm).

Best Wishes
    Dawn