Hip Replacement when in your 50's

JasmineTheodora
JasmineTheodora Member Posts: 21
Is a person in their late 50's too young to consider a hip replacement? How long does a new joint last? Does it depend on how much exercise they do?

Comments

• tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello

I am a member of the forum, not a member of the helpline team but just wanted to say that if you repost your message on the Living with Arthritis (LWA) forum, I know you will get some replies because this subject comes up fairly often.

We are a friendly bunch here and you will be made very welcome.

Tillyxxx
  • daylily
    daylily Member Posts: 619
    Hi, I was 54 when I had my first hip replacement.
    I've got to say it's miles better than being unable to move properly and being in pain.

Recovery of about 6 weeks (lying on my back at night was the worst thing), exercises as given by the hospital, do not sit too long or stand too long. It's really a matter of common sense about how much to do.

You actually wake up pain free after the op, ok there is discomfort from the operation itself but the deep bone pain gone, it's amazing.

If you're offered a new hip go for it, it's a new lease of life.
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,462
    Hi Jasmine

Thanks for your posting.

There are no upper or lower age limits for hip replacement surgery. It depends how severly your hip is damaged and the pain,stiffness and disability that it has on your daily activities.

A new hip joint can last for up to 20 years.

On the whole exercise is very good for your joints, but it may be worth seeing a physiotherapist for specific exercises to do and things to avoid doing that may aggravate the joint. See our booklet on exercise and arthritis at http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Listedbytype/Booklets/main_content/Exercisebooklet2011.pdf.

For more information on osteoarthritis of the hip see http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Listedbytype/Factsheets/main_content/OAhipfactsheetJune2011.pdf and on hip replacement surgery at http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/surgery/hip-replacement-surgery.aspx.

You are welcome to ring us on 0808 800 4050 if you would like to have a chat about your current situation.

Regards

Nick
    Helplines Team
  • lazicat
    lazicat Member Posts: 177
    Im 49 & having THR in July. When I saw my surgeon/consultant he advised that it was the only option available to me to get quality of life back as I have so much disabilty & Im in so much pain.
    I think if you feel you can carry on longer then do , if your life is so restricted & you are living on medication then dont put it off.
    I decided that I need my mobility & life back now , how knows what I will need in later life , but procedures & technology are improving all the time , so what I may need in the its not something Im going to dwell on for now. I havent got a crystal ball who knows how long I will live anyway!
    For me the most important thing is to be able to enjoy my life now, which I cant at the moment.
    I hope that all makes sense, everyone is different & has different ways of doing things. So really just weigh everything up & then decide. Good Luck.
  • JasmineTheodora
    JasmineTheodora Member Posts: 21
    Thank you for your suggestions and helpful advice.

I agree with lazycat that making your own decision is the best way forward and to base it on your own level of pain and how well you can manage your day to day life .
    Many people have asked me why I am walking with a limp and when I say I have OA in my hip they more than often tell me about someone they know who has had a hip replacement and it has worked wonders. I'm sure this is true but my own personal feeling is that I can manage ok at present. Shame about the limp. I wish I didn't have it as it draws attention to my problem. I know people are being kind but I am quite a private person and I am not comfortable with people feeling a bit sorry for me.
  • fowls48
    fowls48 Member Posts: 1,357
    Hi Jasmine

Welcome to the forum .not sure about the age , but my friend regis is having partial hip replacement in 6 weeks time he is fifty .Sorry i am not much help but i wish you the very best in your decision .

karen xx