Olives?

stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
edited 26. May 2012, 06:22 in Community Chit-chat archive
I love them, especially green ones. I’ve seen bushes advertised in gardening catalogues but I suspect I’d get approx one olive for every £1 spent. Also, I don’t know what you do with olives from a bush. I have a feeling there’s a lot of work to be done before you can actually eat them. Does anyone know?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi S W what does dear old Google say about it??.
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    oh sticky I cant help, I am having trouble growing herbs :oops:

love juliepf x
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    I love olives of all colours too ; would imagine we have the wrong climate for producing the fruit but worth a try ! Jillyb
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hmmmm. Olives. I reckon they'm best from a jar or in a tub from the deli - I love the garlic-stuffed ones, or those wrapped in anchovy (or mackerel) and stuck on a skewer. Yum-yum! But growing them? If you have a greenhouse then maybe . . . . . DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Sticky, we've just bought a small olive tree for the patio. It has lots of berries on and we're just going to keep watering and feeding it and see what happens. Nothing ventured .................etc.

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • fowls48
    fowls48 Member Posts: 1,357
    I keep trying them but sorry i do not like :cry:
  • stickywicket
    I did google it but there were all sorts of conflicting tales (A lesson in never googling illnesses and treatments :roll: ). You couldn't eat them. You could eat them but they weren't good. You could eat them and they were nice but bitter and a bit tough. You needed to soak them in salt water for 12-14 days. That's why I asked you good people.

Legs, I shall await updates with interest. DD, olives stuffed with garlic? Heaven.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Oh they are, Sticky, they are. DD
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Hi S W try a UK only search as a general web search will throw up loads of US sites and many of them are pants as they normally only want to sell you something, I've had a quick look for the UK and found these sites straight away.

http://www.bigplantnursery.co.uk/olivepreparation.html

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061014144144AAa0nRf
  • stickywicket
    Thanks for that, Mell. I hadn't found either site before. The 2nd one does give several different ways of tackling them.

I think I'm going to hang on and wait and see how Legs gets on with hers. If she ends up with a 'harvest' of 3-4 olives :roll: I'll probably continue to get mine from the deli. If it looks worth a go I might buy a plant.
    Steven Wright
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Try a vine then sticky :D the shape and colour are similar and they will grow here :lol:

I think.....I would buy one anyway and see what happens :D
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    In my better walking days went to the birmingham good food show with my daughter,at lunch time instead of being ripped off for food we brought a crusty loaf some pate and a huge tub of mixed olives and sat on the floor in a quite corner and scoffed the lot,absolute bliss.Mig
  • Misscreant
    Misscreant Member Posts: 32
    julie47 wrote:
    Try a vine then sticky :D the shape and colour are similar and they will grow here :lol:

I think.....I would buy one anyway and see what happens :D

:shock: Good grief grapes are just the uninteresting larval stage of wine. :wink:

Olives could probably be grown here in the South or in a poly tunnel they need to be kept dry.

If the climate change brigade are correct then we will all be able to grow them.

I love olives too and in today's financial market you can purchase the less expensive olives in brine, drain them and then drizzle with olive oil, yumster or drain them place in a jar with garlic and olive oil and wait for a week or so, double yumster but only if you like olives it has to be said. :)
    I am not a complete idiot, some parts of me are missing!
  • dreamdaisy
    What a phrase! ' . . .grapes are just the uninteresting larval stage of wine' I love it! DD
  • stickywicket
    Me too. It's been a good day on the forum for memorable quotes. Thanks, Misscreant.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    I was so impressed by that quote I told tillytop about it. Misscreant, I hope you post again soon. If you can write that, well, I wonder what else lurks in your repertoire? :wink: DD
  • Misscreant
    :) My pleasure Stickywicket. I am fairly new on here but have lurked a while, getting to know folk, virtual or otherwise, takes a while. As arthritis does not go away I guess there is no great rush but it is good to know that there are some like minded people out there who go through the same sort of thing as me, give or take, so thanks in turn for that comfort.

Dreamdaisy it seems you have prevented me from posting, thank you for the compliment please see above. ^^^^
  • stickywicket
    Misscreant wrote:
    arthritis does not go away

What :shock: ? Who told you that :shock:? I thought there was a 60 year limit. For years I've been planning my 75th birthday - the white water rafting, abseiling down the Empire State Building and opening the bowling for England.

Misscreant, I’m devastated :cry: . Are you sure? You mean to say I’m stuck with this cruddy body for life :o ? Oh how cruel! (Exits stage left in a strop and a wheelchair.)
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Olives :shock:

I don't like 'em much. I've tried really hard honestly :( , but they and me don't get on.

My youngest adores them and eats them happily from the jar. g025.gif

Maybe the idea on the olive trees is that the leaves are pretty??? :?

Love

Toni xxx
  • dreamdaisy
    I just had a minor panic - I was worried about my preventing you from posting then realised you (hopefully) meant that we clashed!

Frog, I think olives are in the Marmite class of foodstuffs - you either do or you don't. DD
  • Misscreant
    Misscreant wrote:
    arthritis does not go away

What :shock: ? Who told you that :shock:? I thought there was a 60 year limit. For years I've been planning my 75th birthday - the white water rafting, abseiling down the Empire State Building and opening the bowling for England.

Misscreant, I’m devastated :cry: . Are you sure? You mean to say I’m stuck with this cruddy body for life :o ? Oh how cruel! (Exits stage left in a strop and a wheelchair.)

Umm it's a bit of a bugger isn't it, having said that I did read an article yesterday about a wonder seaweed which may help with the pain of arthritis.

Dreamdaisy I did mean that we clashed. I am going to have to change my avatar as I keep thinking that I am someone else which is scary as it might mean that I have a split personality. :?
  • stickywicket
    Ah Misscreant, my days of wonder seaweeds, wonder diets, wonder potions and wonder-if-this'll-do-the-trick are behind me. These days I just swallow the meds, drown my sorrows and enjoy everything I can. It saves time.
    Steven Wright