Hi new to the forum

youlemming
youlemming Member Posts: 28
edited 29. May 2012, 03:57 in Say Hello Archive
Hello, I have posted already on one of the other boards but thought I would say hi offically with a bit of back ground.

I was diagnosied with juvenile arthritis when I was around 10 (now 30) and sepnt time in hospital in traction a few times when my hips and knees where at their worst.
Since then I have had pain on and off (but no offical care) and in more than just my hips and knees.

While pregnant with my 2 yr old I suffered with my hips a lot and was told I had SPD I am now wondering if it was the arthritis as it's not been the same since.
Started seeing a chiropractor about a yr ago and have been on and off since then with pain in lower back/pelvic area, around my shoulder blades and neck.
I alway thought a lot of my pain would be put done to my weight as I'm 5ft9 and was 17st, I have now lost 1 1/2 st and haven't seen any improvement.
At the moment my back is quite settled and my main pain is from my left wrist which tends to flare up every few months but this time it's been nearly 2 wks where I can't turn my hand palm up without a lot of pain.

Last wk I booked an app with my GP to get something done about it or at least investigated and couldn't get in till the 31st May. Then on Thursday my knee swelled and calf went very hard and saw doc as emergency app at the end of the day and she suspects a ruptured bakers cyst which I didn't know I had.
But as it was late in the day and she did fit me in at the end I didn't want to go through the general pain issues so planning on going back either at the end of the month or when ever my ultrasound app comes through for my knee (I have to go back 1 wk after for the results).

I also need to speak to the doc about a referal back to cardiology as there is confirmed Marfanes with 2 of my siblings, we were seen during childhood but when I moved away for uni it wasn't transfered correctly and being away in a new environment I didn't follow it up.
Marfanes can also affect the joints and other things and as my siblings have recently been taken back into the care of the cardiologist it's time I followed it back up.

Thanks for reading my long intro!

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hey youlemming

I think l've already met you on another board but just wanted to say hello officially because l haven't been on this board for a while :)

I have met a chap with marfans. he did have joint issues and was very tall.

Anyway lovely to meet you

Love

Toni xxx
  • youlemming
    youlemming Member Posts: 28
    Hi Toni,

Thank you for your welcome message.

Due to another unrelated medical issue I think some of the outwardly physical parts of marfanes are not so obvious, I'm the only one in my family under 6 foot and I'm not quite the slim build that usually goes hand in hand.
    Will see what the doctor says on Thursday.

On the other front I have my scan app for my knee of Saturday, but due to the long week end then a mixtur of the doctor and myself being on holiday I won;t get the results till the first wk in July!
    Think my knee is now complaining as it's swollen up again and is very uncomfortable today.

All the best to you, Emma.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, it's nice to meet you and I am glad you have found us. I am an 'expert' on fat knees thanks to my auto-immune arthritis, and I found the only way to help them was to sit with my legs up, a pillow under the knees, and just rest. I also found that resting with a bag of peas draped over the inflated joint helped - until I stood up to go and put the peas back in the freezer! I also lost a lot of weight at one point, about three stone, and that made no difference to the pain whatsoever but by then I was nine years in and I think the joint damage was already done.

Right, it's time for another cuppa and some meds, I hope you are as well as you can be and please let us know what the scan result is once you get it! Take care. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben