Don't know whether to laugh, cry or scream.

applerose
applerose Member Posts: 3,621
edited 29. May 2012, 08:31 in Community Chit-chat archive
I had to have the first 2 weeks of April off work as I had a chest infection. As my boss doesn't pay me for being sick, I asked the benefits office if I was entitled to any financial help from them. Yes, no problem. Just fill in this form. They paid me for the 2 weeks minus the first 3 days (even they couldn't tell me why I couldn't be paid for the first 3 days) and then I went back to work. I told them in 2 places on the form that I would be back at work by the 3rd week in April.

A couple of weeks after being back at work, I received another form asking me if I could dress myself and prepare my own meals etc. No covering letter to say what it was for. I thought it couldn't be because I'd had those 2 weeks off surely. I did have 2 weeks off last year because of the RA so I thought it could be a request for an update. So I just filled in everything to do with my chest infection and my RA.

A few days ago, I got a letter saying I have to go for a medical examination now to determine if I was actually ill back in April. They already have 2 medical certificates (one a self-certificate and 1 from my GP). Do they not believe my GP? How do I now prove that I had a chest infection back at the beginning of April?

I deliberately didn't ask for full housing benefit (I do get a little help already) because I know how difficult it is filling in the forms. The benefits office must have told them without my knowledge because I got a letter from them saying I was now on permanent full housing benefit. As it only came a few days ago, it means they have overpaid for 2 months (they pay it straight to the housing association) so now they have to recover that money and I have to fill in the form all over again and send in my wageslips again.

Do they do this to deter people from asking for help?

To top it all, my boss, who gives me a handful of wage slips every couple of months, deducted 2 days holiday (Good Friday and Easter Monday) while I was off sick. He's away just now so I've asked his wife to tell him he can't do that. I mean, he only used to run a business with over 100 employees producing payroll software and now has a new business with maybe a dozen employees. How is he supposed to know the rules and regulations about pay and holidays?

Sorry for writing a book on the subject.
Christine

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Oh dear, I have no idea what to say. Once beaurocracy becomes involved it seems that reason and sense fly out of the window. You say that your boss does not pay when you are sick, so as your illness fell over that holiday break I guess that is why he didn't. I cannot help or advise but I hope that things do get sorted out and soon. Take care. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Laugh,cry and then have a bloody long loud scream,let us know when and we will all join in with you.(((()))) Mig
  • freesia
    freesia Member Posts: 409
    Scream it helps....!!

Believe me I have done that several times lately...

What does your employment contract say about bank holidays...??
    Mine is weird, we get hours for bank holidays credited to our annual entitlement for holiday (pro-rata) and then every bank holiday deducted.. when you think about it - it is correct, but just weird.. It actually benefits someone who works less or no hours on a Monday as you can have your hours another time.... (hope that makes sense...lol)

Also some employers don't pay sick pay - just SSP.... worth checking...

Take care....
    hugs freesia xxx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    It certainly sounds like a total mux ip, applerose, and, as I've been out of the employment scene for years, I'm afraid I can't help other than to suggest you talk to a real person. It sounds to me as if they've confused your chest infection with the previous time off for R.A. I can only wish you luck.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • applerose
    Thanks for all of your replies.

DD, I wasn't expecting to get paid by my boss but didn't expect him to deduct holidays without pay. I'll see him on Monday to say what he has to say about it.

Freesia, I get the minimum number of days holiday and have to use those for bank holidays so, when most people get an extra day for the Jubilee, I don't.

I'm thinking that someone has typed in to the computer that I was off sick but didn't bother to add when I went back to work.

Mig, felt a bit better today with the weather being so good. Might put off the screaming till later in case they can't sort it out. I'll let you all know when to join in. :lol:
    Christine
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    oh dear Applerose things do seem a little mixed up don't they :( I am with mig and they have a jolly good scream.

I hope everything gets sorted out soon :)

love Juliepf x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Oh Gosh Applerose :?

What a nightmare. I would cry :(

I do know about the 'three days waiting' though, standard practise sadly.

BUT the rest of it?! A total farce l should think.

Have you thought about speaking to ACAS re this just incase

Love

Toni xxx
  • applerose
    ACAS don't deal with benefits. I phoned them a while back about something and they told me to contact the benefits office. I did phone them about my boss deducting the holidays. They said what he had done was illegal so he's giving me back the 2 days.

Yesterday, I got another form from the housing benefits department to fill out to reapply starting from when I went back to work. My hands are killing me filling in all these forms. Maybe another scream is in order.
    Christine
  • roses1
    roses1 Member Posts: 1,850
    Awww scream! A nightmare isn't it sorry no advice really like Toni says it is a farce.

Best of luck with it all and you come back and scream, i did have a scream room thread a while back , just the place to let off steam!

Rose x
  • liesa
    liesa Member Posts: 821
    all three... hope u get it sorted soon xxx
    love and hugs
    8997C823B17A6252CBCA252F4BF2932D.png