did you watch

Options
valval
valval Member Posts: 14,911
edited 29. May 2012, 13:42 in Community Chit-chat archive
hi did you see how to beat pain on bbc yesterday was very interesting most of it already knew but what i could not understand how that poor woman with the bad back had not had more help from her doc??? with physio she could have been so much better years ago instead of suffering so much i know her back will always have problems but the extra pain was awfull.
the oa bloke did look much better but how do we all get use of pool like that to exercise like he could would be great perhaps more should be available so we can use less pain meds got to be good in long run what do you think val
val

Comments

• traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I never saw it val, what was it called/ might be able to watch it on tv on demand..
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • valval
    Options
    it was called how to beat pain. was on bbc yorks monday 7.30 had dr jack kreindler and prof greg whyte in worth watching
    val
  • traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    Options
    valval wrote:
    it was called how to beat pain. was on bbc yorks monday 7.30 had dr jack kreindler and prof greg whyte in worth watching

Cheers val will have a look
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Options
    I did see it and was just about to start a new topic when I saw this one. The program showed two people with OA pain and the two dr's prescribed private treatment in a gym and concluded with the two patients agreeing wholeheartedly with their treatment. No longterm follow up or indeed reference to other treatments just the treatment prescribed by these two dr's for these two patients and no reference to other conditions that result from long term arther.

arther is so different for everyone that a number of treatments would be needed over the course of a lifetime and for most of us don't get any hands on treatment of any kind let alone painkilling that works.

It was a brief view of arther, that body suit is just like it is though, I remain unconvinced by the BBC's abbreviated effort, it has probably given the viewing population a very narrow view of OA.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    I did, val, and I found it interesting too. (Was it a one-off or part of a new series?) I've known for years to 'use it or lose it' but I was still surprised when I saw that lady's X-rays, where the muscles supposed to be supporting her problem discs had turned to fat because she wasn't using them owing to pain. I was very pleased her exercise regime helped so much and have been prompted to get my own weights out again this morning. I'd let them go a bit after the tendonitis.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • fowls48
    fowls48 Member Posts: 1,357
    Options
    Yes it was a good programme , That suit .Board panels should be made to wear it so when peops go in front of them to ask for their blue badges and DLA they will know what the pain is .I would love to be in charge of the remote . :lol:
    I do agree i cannot afford to go the the gym or swimming , But at St Helier hosp morden they do a 6 week coarse for people with back problems .I went a couple of years ago it was a very good course but it is Not suitable for everyone .Since i have lost weight my back has been better and pain free its just the other parts of my body :lol:

karen.
  • valval
    Options
    i did also feel more people who deal with us should have to try the suit it made me realize that when i get very bad it feels so bad lol that my whole body feels it is going to collapse but will try to make more effort to exercise i do when on holiday but when working keep energy for that will have to find some middle ground and do need to loose weight did wish they had covered auto as we have more problems with exercise and judging how far to push i often over do it as get no warning how far i can push only get pain when swelling starts and it far to late then
    val
  • stickywicket
    Options
    What various physios have always told me, val, is to take the joints through their full range of movement every day, even when flaring but to do it very gently and carefully when they're bad.
    Steven Wright
  • fowls48
    fowls48 Member Posts: 1,357
    Options
    I Agree i take everything at a slow pace i do not rush anymore as my knees start clicking and feet start aching .One step at a time for me .

karen .
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Well, it did motivate me and I did the weights properly again for almost the first time since my tendonitis back in January. I also dug out my hand weights - first time in about 5 years :oops: and could feel it gently stretching my left arm. (I'm right-handed so the left one gets overlooked at times.) Contrast with yesterday when I did my quads, without weights, sitting in the recliner while watching the cricket :roll:
    Steven Wright
  • emsjane
    emsjane Member Posts: 351
    Options
    I watched this programme just now on iplayer and was very interested to watch the effect the OA suit had on that doctor!!

I agree with what they are saying, that losing weight helps loads and gentle exercise helps to strengthen muscles and this takes the pressure off the joint having to work so hard..... but..... its all very well saying these things, but when you are in pain, all day, every day, it is hard to stay positive and to stay away from the biscuit tin and there is no doubt, even with gentle exercise, we are not moving around as much as we would be if we didn't have arthur and therefore, our weight goes up just because were not as mobile!!!!

I think most people know that losing weight helps reduce the pain of arthritis, but it is easier said than done!!!!!
    LOVE EMMA X
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    I didn't see it val but I have made a note and will watch it soon. Thank you for letting us know

Julie PF x
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Thanks Val I have just watched it on i player and found it interesting. :)

I hope they plastered his strongest arm, because i noticed it was his left one and my left side has always been the weaker side, even when I hadn't got this disease.

love Julie PF x