Footwear for the arthritis sufferer

succotash
succotash Member Posts: 83
edited 13. Jun 2012, 20:14 in Living with Arthritis archive
For years I have had stiff, sore toes so have not been able to wear the fashion shoes I would like to. I do like pretty shoes but can only really do flatties now my knees are affected by OA.

So I thought a discussion about /supportive/comfortable/pretty/fashionable shoes would help some of us out.

I like to wear 'unstructured' or 'air' by Clarks but not all of them are fashionable. They can be expensive but I always look in the sales or go to an outlet.
My dad loves them too, they are such a relief for his gout!
Any other ideas??
How come I'm over the hill and rapidly going down it, when I don't even recall reaching the summit?

Comments

• fowls48
    fowls48 Member Posts: 1,357
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    At the moment i am wearing fitflops they are expensive but comfortable .Unfortunately they make your feet stink and in very hot weather they squeak when walking lool.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello herestinker, this is a topic that crops up on a regular basis. I swear by my Crocs, they absorb a great deal of the impact of walking. I also like shoes that fasten somehow, slip-ons are no longer an option for long walks etc. Trainers are good as they offer proper support - many of us on here have flat feet and they help with that. I think it's very much a matter of personal preference, I have some Hotters but for some reason they don't feel as comfy as they used, so they stay in their box! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    If you put 'shoes' into the search engine there is quite a lot of stuff comes up.

Del, it's interesting that your podiatrist says 3 pairs of shoes should be used in sequence as, when you rely on surgical shoes, the podiatrists only ever give you two pairs at a time :roll: It's right that they should be alternated though as it's not good for either feet or shoes to be in the same ones all the time. I know because they take about 2-3 weeks to repair my surgical ones. I've been in the same pair all this hot weather and now have the extra knobbles and bumps and aches and pains to prove it.

I'm going to come over as a boring old woman now but, for heaven's sake, wear sensible, protective shoes everyone. If I hadn't done I wouldn't still be walking. It's not just your feet that suffer when they're not supported properly, it's all the joints above them. The knee/hip or back pain might all be a result of unsupporting shoes.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • succotash
    succotash Member Posts: 83
    I have some fitflops too. They are good for working leg muscles but yes they do make your feet sweat and boy do they smell!

I dont really do trainers. They dont go with any of my style of clothes but I do understand how they could be comfortable and supportive.

Never thought of the merrel shoes before but I can see how they would be good.
    How come I'm over the hill and rapidly going down it, when I don't even recall reaching the summit?
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    I am afraid I get my shoes from co*y f**t

They are not really what I would like to wear, but they are comfortable and wide, (and wide is what I need)

Julie PF x
  • fowls48
    fowls48 Member Posts: 1,357
    I have some fitflops too. They are good for working leg muscles but yes they do make your feet sweat and boy do they smell!

I dont really do trainers. They dont go with any of my style of clothes but I do understand how they could be comfortable and supportive.

Never thought of the merrel shoes before but I can see how they would be good.
    I do like trainers but when wearing a skirt or dress they do not look right :)
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    I rceived my first pair of h*tters last week and l ADORE them :D

They are PINK :D

If you have the energy you can search for old shoes threads on the site.

Love

Toni xxx
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    good shoes are a must and i do have a few pairs because what fits one day does not the next tut tut tut have to keep my feet cool or they swell awfull and hurt like full of stones val
    val
  • annalou
    annalou Member Posts: 38
    I'm loving my clarks unstructured and yes they are pricey but i got them off a well known auction site ;) much cheaper and brand new!! I've now got three pairs and what's more i can fit my insoles into them yey! I'd definately recommend :D
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    I love Rocket Dogs, they are so comfy like wearing slippers! And have different styles, some modern and some sort of traditional styles for everyone. They have there own email page. I hope that might of helped.
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    I spend most of my time in Sketchers Shape-Ups. They are very cushioned and comfortable. My rheumie always says he can't fault them as they give plenty of support. I also have a pair of foot gloves for when I wear a dress.
    Christine
  • buffycat
    buffycat Member Posts: 24
    I swear by my Birkenstocks for work and home. My friend has also suggested Fly....so I'll also have a look at them....

Good luck....
  • Annah
    Annah Member Posts: 92
    Because of my foot problems (severe hypermobility, damaged tendons, arthritis, osteoporosis etc) I have to wear very large orthotics, preferably with lace-up shoes.

To make matters worse, I'm also allergic to leather!

I love Asics running shoes - they're breathable, supportive and they are in a range of colours. I have a black pair which I can even sneak in under trousers on a night out. And if I take out the insoles, I can even fit my orthotics in them and only go up a size. My only problem is a deformed toe which wears a hole in the top of the shoe in short order.

I also love my Crocs boots for the winter - Crocs Nadias. They are generous fit and I can easily get my orthotics in them, although they are basically furry wellies, rather than lace-ups which my podiatrist would prefer.

I have adapted some Crocs Mammoths to wear as slippers and casual shoes, by sticking chiropody felt, cut into the shape of my orthotics, under the furry liners. But they're a bit hot in summer.

And I wear a pair of Crocs sandles sometimes, although my tendons tend to ache if its too long.

All of these unstable, FitFlop type shoes are a nightmare for me, due to my very unstable feet. I am unstable enough without adding to it! I'd love to wear sexy heals or something a bit more trendy sometimes, but personally, I'd rather be comfortable and able to move.
  • clanckyclara
    clanckyclara Member Posts: 32
    I find the skateboarder trainer shoes incredibly comfortable and you can then feel 'down with the dudes' or 'hip with the beat'.
    They are designed to absorb impact and support the ankle. Some can be a bit high under the ankle bone but they are a lot more padded than ordinary trainers. - Quite funky designs also but don't wear with dresses unless you are under 25!
  • Sarniajac
    Sarniajac Member Posts: 1
    Have just bought Rieker antistress. Available on internet although bought mine at Barratts. Slip ons good although their sandals are too narrow for my wide feet.
  • earthspirit
    earthspirit Bots Posts: 278
    shoes haha
    im a lifelong stiletto kid and am now reduced to ballerina pumps which i find very comfortable. i use sholl supports inside them for the arch and they are like second skin.

everybody tells me to wear crocs or hotter but they spoil my image lol
    (i am bent kneed and can barely walk so not sure what fictionary image i am spoiling)

the very best place for brand new support shoes like clarks etc is on ebay. i know many sellers buy all the stock as they live nearbye and then sell it on ebay for very reasonable prices

HOWEVER....i also wear standard high UGG boots which have a strong supportive sole and the compression of the sheelpskin round my ankles has been a real godsend. i wear them in summer too. i dont give a toss what anybody thinks (and i talk about image?? :lol: )
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I wear surgical shoes (available free of charge from your local orthotic department) and I don't give a toss what anyone thinks either as I've never had an image to spoil.
    :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Ah Sticky, I'm with you on that one! I deflect attention from my feet by flashing a couple of other, non-arthritis-affected, bits. :wink: It has to be a matter of comfort, I no longer give a damn about how I may appear to others - getting older has its benefits. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Greenlily
    Greenlily Member Posts: 18
    I have some hand made leather lace-ups [and lace boots] made for me by 'Green Shoes' in Totnes as well as some 'sling back' flat sandals. They were expensive but I've worn the black shoes constantly for nearly 20 years [been resoled once!]. in summer I wear wide trainers usually from Lands End which are light mesh and not too hot. They have some scary colours which I avoid but others might like..... :roll: I even wore the trainers to my mothers funeral coz we walked behind the coffin and even then I only just kept up. Nobody noticed or cared. My feet are very wide but only mildly deformed with RA in my right foot but my spine is knackered [so the registrar said] so I don't walk well at all. Hope this is a bit helpful. :)
  • christinac47
    christinac47 Member Posts: 102
    For years I have had stiff, sore toes so have not been able to wear the fashion shoes I would like to. I do like pretty shoes but can only really do flatties now my knees are affected by OA.

So I thought a discussion about /supportive/comfortable/pretty/fashionable shoes would help some of us out.

I like to wear 'unstructured' or 'air' by Clarks but not all of them are fashionable. They can be expensive but I always look in the sales or go to an outlet.
    My dad loves them too, they are such a relief for his gout!
    Any other ideas??
    :!: hi there you can get help from the docter as i got an appiontment with an podiatrist and i have atharitis in two of my big toes they said i have also flat feet and need special insole made for me,the shoe you need to wear would be like a trainer i buy wavers from clarks shoes whitch are great try them out
  • christinac47
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Ah Sticky, I'm with you on that one! I deflect attention from my feet by flashing a couple of other, non-arthritis-affected, bits. :wink: It has to be a matter of comfort, I no longer give a damn about how I may appear to others - getting older has its benefits. DD
    :) hi there i am just new at this and was wanting to know how bad can you get it on your feet as i have been told i have athritis on both big toes and have flat feet.
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Hi Christinac. I have RA. It affects all of my foot. The soles are a little painful whenever I walk but I get sharp pains in my big toes after a while and shooting pains occasionally if I walk any distance. I think everyone is different as some people here seem much worse than me.

I've just checked Clarks website but can't see any wavers. Just made me realise, I haven't checked their shoes out yet so must do that next time I'm in town.
    Christine
  • emsjane
    emsjane Member Posts: 351
    Over this last year or so, my feet have become very painful!

I have had various problems and during this i have sworn by my Crocs rx relief's and my HOTTER shoes! They have made all the difference :)
    LOVE EMMA X
  • christinac47
    hi applerose
    how are you ,go into the shop here is some information on them i hope this helps,xcellent Clark's Wave shoes
    http://assets.clarksmcr.com/products/2/0/3/20341346_A_p.jpgWave Echo Bar
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Hi earthspirit, have you tried Rocket Dog shoes? they are so comfy and they do heels or wedges as well as flat and boots. They are amazingly comfy like wearing slippers. I love them and have several pairs now though I can only wear ballerina style shoes these days I do own 2 pairs of wedges by rocket dog that I wear on my hols even though I'm using my chair I still love to wear the wedges!