Beware the dragon

stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
edited 1. Jun 2012, 07:06 in Living with Arthritis archive
OK, better not read this until/unless you are kitted out in full asbestos suit. It’s not often I let rip on here. Normally, when breathing fire, I exercise furiously or attack the worktops, the floors or the washbasin. You can tell the state of my mind by the state of my house. Usually my house resembles the local recycling depot but is less clean and organised and not as pretty. If my house is scrubbed into submission – be very, very afraid. It could be you next.

At lunchtime I picked up my repaired surgical shoes, tossed them on the bed and got a sandwich. Afterwards, I went in to put them on. And that’s when my blue touch paper caught fire.

You are allowed two pairs. Both of mine had needed repairing. This was silly of me but precedent after precedent showed conclusively that it would have been folly indeed to hand a pair over until I was fully recovered from the tendonitis. So, at the beginning of March I booked to see the podiatrist. It wasn’t just soles and heels – one pair were saggy and baggy because the insole had padded down so far and also it now had a tear in the ‘dug out’, cushioned bit where a big, bone that protrudes under my foot sits. They couldn’t fit me in for 6 weeks. Finally, a month ago, I saw him. He took the other pair first and wrote out full instructions of what had to be done to both.

Two weeks ago I went to the hospital, picked the first pair up from reception, changed shoes on the spot and handed my others over as arranged. In all the recent heat it has been a long two weeks in just one pair. Wearing one pair constantly results in them catching their favourite soft spots incessantly (as opposed to alternating – different shoes: different soft spots) and I now have another big (luckily soft tissue only) bump cosying up to the big bone.

Today I got the letter saying they were ready to be collected. Relief at last! I picked them up, had lunch, went to put them on. Then I realised - same old torn insoles.

I knew the podiatrist would still be at the hospital (we’ve had a few run-ins) so I phoned. He said insoles take longer. I said longer than what? He said longer than……er…..how long had it been since I ordered them? A month. Ah. Was I sure? Yes. It was, wasn’t it? He’d check it out tomorrow when he got back to base then ring me.

I think he probably will but even if they’re ready, it’ll mean a trip across the city to pick them up from his base at a time when my driver was planning on being on the golf course. If they haven’t even been made, it’ll now be another week at the very least. And this foot is ****ing sore. And I’m very cross. And Mr SW is cautiously keeping his distance, a tactic born of 44 years marital experience. And I’m now going to attack my exercise horse. At least I don’t need to have my foot on the ground for that.
:mrgreen:
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Oh Sticky - no wonder you are cross! But I have to say that you made me laugh, even in the midst of your outrage!

Really hope the podiatrist's "check" tomorrow reveals that they have been made, and are ready for collection and that it was "just" an administrative oversight. Maybe if Mr SW has to miss his game of golf, he could take his clubs with him to the hospital and "exercise" them there! :shock:

Hope your poor exercise horse survives its encounter :lol:

Tillyxxx
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    oh dear sticky, no wonder you are so cross. It is not only the disappointment of picking up a pair of shoes of which only half the job has been done, but the waste of your time and energy.

I hope they are ready for tomorrow, but at a convenient time so that may be Mr SW could still have that game.

take care
    love Julie PF ((()))

PS at first I thought you bought the software too :lol:
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Hi Sticky, How bl***y annoying,i have every sympathy my feet are playing up at the moment,big toe joint on one foot is swollen and imflammed i cant bear my orthotic shoes on,i have fleshy lumps too.Till they get my liver count sorted i have been told to basicly grin and bear it .Now i just off to swear in private,i will say a few for you.(((()))) Mig
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    oh Sticky I'm sorry that they've p1$$ed you around like that. Surely they know how important these shoes are for you... :roll:
    I will go bop him on the noggin for you hun...
    If you're still mad later my floors need sweeping :shock:
    :wink:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • dippydoodah
    dippydoodah Member Posts: 350
    oh how fustrating when you're waiting for something, especially something as important as your shoes...

you did make me giggle a little with your post though!
    hope you're not waiting too much longer x
  • stickywicket
    Tillytop - I like your solution. I might try the odd putting shot myself. The horse was good. My beloved (bless him) sat while I had a gallop. I can't do a gallop alone as, at that speed, I can't hit the 'Off' button. :lol:

Julie - there's only one dragon in this household :oops:

Mig - I'll teach you my swear words if you'll teach me yours :wink:

Tony - That last sentence kind of ruined the lovely, sympathetic post :o You behave yourself or else I'll be round there with my brush but it won't be the floors I'll be laying in to :lol:

dippy - thank you. I hope so too.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Poor poor you Sticky

I too would be breathing fire in your dare l say it...'shoes' :shock:

h21014.gif

Mr SW is a wise man indeed...

Can I offer to help?

n035.gif ( it's not rude is it? It's meant to be a firefighter :?

Toni xx
  • tjt6768
    oh Sticky, lol.. Stop it our you'll have Rehab getting all excited.
    :wink:
    You know for sure the while post was made with senserity :D
    Xx Yorkshire Blokey hugs coming at ya too xx
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Ye gods. Words don't fail me but I know better than to post them. Hells-phacking-bells I am so, so sorry. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    Toni - you dare say it - but only because it's you. :lol:

Tony - I knew all along but I'll still accept the blokey hugs :wink:

DD - I think you did just post them :lol:
    Steven Wright
  • tjt6768
    if some Yorkshire Blokey hugs will help then it's a given mi dear :D

Now, could you please bring your fire-breathing skills round here and set fire to the numpties at the back who've decided thursday night is a great night to sit outside drinking.
    I shall have words if they disturb my Janet :x
    :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • stickywicket
    Don't know about fire. Do you have a power hose? That should sort them out.
    Steven Wright
  • tjt6768
    edited 31. May 2012, 17:50
    NO.. it's just the way I'm laid :shock: :shock:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • tjt6768
    right.. I'm off to sleep before I get told off for being a naughty imp :D
    G' night folks
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Hi Sticky,One of my sisters favourites is "fork and knives".Mig
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Morning sticky :)

Thinking of you

Hope you get the insoles today

Love Juliepf x
  • stickywicket
    I think he'd have rung by now if they actually had them ready to be picked up so I'm going to send my beloved off to the golf course soon. No point in two of us feeling brassed off.

I didn't mention that, yesterday, as I couldn't face another day with the pair that had brought up the soft tissue lump, I wore an old, 'condemned' pair which are comfy precisely because they're so saggy they're like slippers. Today, I have some - presumably muscular - heel problem as a result and can only drag that leg. Unfortunately, it's the opposite foot to the one with the lump underneath. ****'s law :roll:

I think I shall put in a request for DD's 'carnal' tunnel syndrome as my next problem. It sounds a lot more fun.
    Steven Wright