Major Flare Up Really fed up

caroldeeg
caroldeeg Member Posts: 51
edited 1. Jun 2012, 05:16 in Living with Arthritis archive
I was feeling brave last Friday so I drove to London to see my daugher, I came back Saturday Morning and arrived home around 12.00 Yes it was very hot but I have air conditioning so was comfortable,Half an hour after I got home I couldnt stand at all as I couldnt put any weight on my right knee,I have a knee replacement already but its the left one and the right knee has never given me any trouble.
I went to see my doctor to be told its a major flare up. now I need x rays and rheumy visit and quite possibly another TKR.
YUCK
Sorry but I'm feeling very down at the moment, and the heat does not help

Comments

• liesa
    liesa Member Posts: 821
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi
    Im sorry your feeling so rough, hope it passes soon, hate it when we get flares they sometimes come from out the blue and cripple us, i do know where your coming from, when my daughter was my carer )dla stopped some) i d drive over nowadays to pick her up and by the time i got home i was in agony, i could barely stand up, now i hate driving cos when i dont have a flare it hurts my hip big time,

sending you gentle hugs xx (((())))
    love and hugs
    8997C823B17A6252CBCA252F4BF2932D.png
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Hi.
    I'm really sorry that you are having such a bad time. Knees are terrible joints when troublesome... I hope it's just a case of you overdoing it and it eases very soon..
    Keep us up to date

Best wishes mi dear :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    as some one sat here with pain in knee i know so much where you are coming from hope it settles soon be kind to your self val
    val
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Hi,Hope you feel better soon and get an early appointment.Mig
  • fowls48
    fowls48 Member Posts: 1,357
    Hi Hope you feel better soon xx
  • succotash
    succotash Member Posts: 83
    Hi Carol,

The RICE method helped me to feel a bit better after a recent flare up

Rest
    Ice
    Compression
    Elevate

Hope it subsides for you soon
    How come I'm over the hill and rapidly going down it, when I don't even recall reaching the summit?
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Ah, payback, our special reward for having a bit of fun. What counts is that you had a lovely time, that you managed to do what you wanted and you know this flare will pass as all things do. Sometimes we are surprised when the payback doesn't occur but the only thing to do when it does is to go with the flow. Rest as much as you can, avoid stressing the joint/s any more than is necessary and I hope you feel better soon. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,708
    How are you today, caroldeeg? ie how is the knee and how are you feeling about it? The prospect of another prospective TKR coming out of the blue must have been a bit of a shock and shocks don't help pain. However, until you see the rheumatologist and get the X-rays, you don't really know. It could just be that the long car journey has seen it in an awkward position for too long and it will slowly improve. Rest it, elevate it, do very gentle exercises and as little else as possible. And keep talking to us as we do understand. (())
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    I'm so sorry Carol your suffering a flare up, they are so nasty and because they sneak up on you by giving clues which you can associate to other things. Without warning your in heaps of pain and joints are swollen!! It's horrible and you have no idea how long it will last. You have no reason to be sorry, you have everyright to feel down hun! I hope it passes soon.

Hope the appointments come quickly so you can find out if there going to do the TKR.
  • caroldeeg
    Hi folks
    My knee is not really any better. I'm resting as much as possible but as
    you all know sitting around doing nothing is not at all easy.
    I like to be busy & I'm finding it difficult.
    I feel a bit less stressed by the whole thing I suppose. I'm sort of used to joint replacements as I have had a knee & shoulder done already at the ripe old age of 61.
    Thanks for all your advice and good wishes . It really helps that someone else knows what you are going through.
    I will let you know how it goes
    Carol
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    hi Carol

sorry you had to suffer for being so brave driving to London (driving in London is very brave :wink: ) I hope today you are feeling much better and your knee has settled down.

Love Julie PF x
  • dippydoodah
    dippydoodah Member Posts: 350
    its hard when you feel ok and just want to do something yet the body doesnt allow it or makes you pay for it afterwards. im sorry you're still suffering. im unable to drive anymore due to my knees too, as well as hands and feet.

gentle hugs xx
  • snowis75
    snowis75 Member Posts: 5
    Hi Carol,

I have just joined and just read your message. I hope the flair up is gradually getting better. I know how they fell I get 1 every 6 weeks or so. Like you its normally after I feel ok and do something extra.

Its hard to stay positive no matter how much support you have. All I can say is simply keep your head up and keep pushing on. I always push the boundaries when I have a flair up and although the pain cripples me, after I have walked to the shop (20 meters down the road), or tried to walk up stairs. That feeling of pain release when you finally rest feels so good. I know this is not good sound advice, but its all I have to offer as I, like you really struggle to keep positive. My family especially my wife is always very helpful. Too helpful and as much as I appreciate the help, its hard to take.
    I hope talking to people on this site gives you a little comfort.

Keep going it will be over soon…

Cheers Nige
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,708
    Oooh Nige, I'm a boundary-pusher myself but surely not during a flare :shock: That's when damage is done. I was always told to rest a flare and just take all my joints very, very slowly and carefully, through their full range of movement every day. Of course, real life tends to intervene with all that but I still think it's good advice. The fun bit of pushing the boundaries comes later :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Heather65
    Heather65 Member Posts: 262
    Hi carol, hope you will start to feel better soon i have a bad neck but at the mo still managing to work but there are days when i just want to do nothing :(
    Its hard to think that this is as good as it gets ,but you just have to take the good days and the bad and hope there arnt too many bad ones :)
  • caroldeeg
    I am starting to feel a bit more human. On the orders of my other half I spent the whole day yesterday in bed and the rest appears to have helped.
    Hopefully I will improve now.
    Thanks for all your help. It really did me good to realise I'm not on my own, That is one of the bad things about having arthritis. You can feel very isolated and insulated from the world and you can forget that there are other people as bad if not worse than you.
    If I can help anyone else just holler and I'm there in spirit.

Carol :P
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    hi Carol
    I am glad the day in bed yesterday has helped and that today you are feeling much better :D

hope you have a good weekend

Love Julie PF x