I've joined the 'spinal club'!

GraceB
GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
edited 25. Jun 2012, 04:48 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi,

I had an appt with my ortho cons on Monday this week about my hip which has been giving me gyp since last October.

I've had x-rays and MRI scans done both of which confirmed OA left hip but said right hip was clear and they said it was bursitis. Then I was moved onto physio. After numerous sessions I discharged myself from physio as it wasn't helping and they agreed that progress wasn't being made. I now know why ....

My ortho cons on Monday asked questions, did the usual manipulations and then sent me off for spinal x-rays. Now - we all know where this is going don't we?

Yep - there is it in my spine. L5/S1 sacrol joint is showing on x-rays as really fluffy around the edges and is giving me referred pain into my hip. I'm now the fourth of four siblings to have spinal OA confirmed and my Dad is riddled with it, with his back especially bad. If this was bingo we'd have won the major prize!

Next step is a steroid injection into the spine hoping that (his words) 'this will switch the nerve off which is generating the pain'. If that doesn't work when I return to him in 6 months time he'll inject the hip with steroids to 'switch things off from that end'.

Now if any of you have had spinal steroid injections I'd appreciate the truth. Do they hurt (will I have to 'bite down on a knife whilst they're doing this, for example)? Will I be able to drive afterwards? Do I have to lay flat after for so long or is it business as usual?

Any info would be very greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

GraceB
Turn a negative into a positive!

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi GraceB

I had back surgery 9 years ago....was virtually ignored for the pervious 20 years so never got any injections sadly :(

Have had them in bursitis though and ex MIL has had back ones many times.

Ideally you do need a lift home so you can rest for as long as poss 48 hours if you can so the steroid remains in the joint as long as possible.

Sorry you have joined the club, but if it's any consolation - only beutiful people are in it :lol:

Love

Toni xxx
  • PollySid
    PollySid Member Posts: 343
    frogmorton wrote:
    Sorry you have joined the club, but if it's any consolation - only beutiful people are in it :lol:

Love

Toni xxx

Thanks for that Toni, :D don't get many compliments these days. :(
    (I'm in the spinal club too)
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I can't help at all but I do wish you the very best for it.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • GraceB
    thanks everyone - I appreciate you taking the time to post your thoughts for me.

Toni - especially like your comments about only beautiful people being in the 'back club' - you've made my day saying that!

Hope everyone has a good bank holiday weekend.

Take care of those joints!

GraceB
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    I had injections via xray direction very near my spine for sciatica in December 2009 and so far so good. I love the Dr. who gave me the jabs. :D I was sedated so did not feel a thing. No rest up on my back or anything, post injections, for me, just told to carry on with life gently for a day or so and then back to normal.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    and Elna is beautiful too :wink:

see? Proves my point :lol:

Love

Toni xxx
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    :lol::lol: I wish! :wink:
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • christinac47
    christinac47 Member Posts: 102
    has anyone had numness in their buttocks i have a slip disc and are worried it is getting worse
  • Greenlily
    Greenlily Member Posts: 18
    Yep I thought my hip was the problem for years until the Rhuem consultant actually looked at the xrays the GP had called for and showed me a slipped vertebra.... I have had steroid jabs but they are so far apart that they only have limited use. I'm now biting the bullet and asking about spinal surgery but I know it has risks but what else can you do? I have now been referred to Leeds which is a long way from here but the have a large spinal dept. so I hope they know what they're doing..Has anyone here had spinal fusion as well as having RA? Thanks
  • Greenlily
    Greenlily Member Posts: 18
    has anyone had numness in their buttocks i have a slip disc and are worried it is getting worse
    Christinac- if the numbness starts to go under your bottom ie 'saddle area' time to ask for advice as it can affect your bowel and bladder which is an emergency. If its just numb like a small area then its a nerve that not getting thru. I get numbness in my rt. foot from my back. But the numbness under your bum is the big one and needs checking asap. Regards
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Hi.. I've had the injections in the spine a couple of times, they're not so bad. I had eight in one go along with both knees done at the same time. In Leeds by the way..
    Sadly they dint last that long for me but I did get some relief and some is always welcome lol
    I'm off back (Jimmy's) on the 29th this month for some radio lesion therapy in the spine (OA in lower spine and both knees) and a similar thing on the knees at the same time.
    I've not had this before and like a silly boy I'm pinning my hopes on them working. I'm at the end of my tether with it now... Been WAY too many years now with no real relief. This treatment is meant to kill off the nerves..

Oooooh, do I get to be beautiful lol :lol:
    When are you going? Wish you the very best, I think I had to have someone at home and someone to collect me etc..
    And I rested the joints for a couple of days. At least 24hrs is needed if you ask me, gives the injections time to do their thing..
    :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • christinac47
    christinac47 Member Posts: 102
    Greenlily wrote:
    Christinac- if the numbness starts to go under your bottom ie 'saddle area' time to ask for advice as it can affect your bowel and bladder which is an emergency. If its just numb like a small area then its a nerve that not getting thru. I get numbness in my rt. foot from my back. But the numbness under your bum is the big one and needs checking asap. Regards
    hi greenlily
    after i have stopped work is when its start as i come home and relax by sitting in my chair then it starts i had to lay down to kind of get a bit of relife form it i am worried that if i go to my work that i have pead myself or down a poo if i dont say anything to the docter about it
  • GraceB
    Thanks everyone - appreciate your thoughts.

Now got x-ray guided (in theatre) steroid jabs coming up for my left ankle! There's just no end to this is there!

G.
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    good luck with those mi dear :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP