Re;The Jubilee and the 21st century.

mellman01
mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
edited 6. Jun 2012, 11:36 in Community Chit-chat archive
Well this might upset a few of you but say it I will, I can’t wait until the jubilee celebrations are well and truly over, the present ruling monarch are just too old and out seriously dated now, they’re as worn out and uninspiring as our dreadful national anthem, whenever I hear it’s slow drone building up I actually cringe inside, why not use Jerusalem or something like that with energy and drive for Gods sake!?. all the lyrics are simply a brown nose to the royals as it is and don’t mention the rest of us at all not very democratic is it?!.
The bottom line is the/they need us more than we them and were the ones who pay for their gold plated lifestyle, why do we have to pay deference to these people like we do these days anyway?, the anthem should be about the country as a whole, if I ever went to war it wouldn’t be for them it would be done for my family and you guys my countrymen, the last thought would be of the royals as if we were ever invaded you and I would be left here to fight and die while they were flown out ASAP, I can’t see them getting anywhere near the danger zone, well apart from Harry as he’s a decent guy who likes to get stuck in but they won’t even let him do that these days.
But that said I’d still rather have the royals in some form than some turnip like Blair as a president at least the queen has some sense of morality and duty to the population she rules over, but they desperately need to change and become more modern I feel, if they don’t they will end up looking more and more like something invented by the Disney corporation. Grasp the nettle Liz take a back seat, put Charles and his wasp chewing wife Camilla out to grass and let William and Kate take over, you’ve had a really good run for your money and you have kept things going through hard times but now it’s time to retire with dignity and let the young guns take over.

Comments

• fowls48
    fowls48 Member Posts: 1,357
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Mellman

Each to there own , i like wills , kate, and harry they are fun .I will not be joining in any celebrations myself i would rather watch a movie instead and enjoy the holiday as this week is becoming stressful .The monarchy is very old fashioned as you say but so are the church .
    Could i tempt you in special edition of the bible diamond celebration edition. :lol: Sorry for pulling your leg.

karen xx
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    will, kate and harry should have the job( sort of job share) like the rest of us these days they are lovely much more normal and make me laugh val
    val
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    yeah, I heard similar about my Grandad during the war
    Sunning himself in Italy at one point :?

Joking apart, he was a proper hero to me.. :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Sorry , don't mean to upset everyone and get a ticking off ; but I'd be happier if ALL the " royals " , old ,young and in betweens retired or abdicated as necessary . Enough is enough ! Jillyb
  • tjt6768
    you should never expect a ticking off for having an opinion my dear, no matter how wrong you are :wink: Lol
    :lol:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • tjt6768
    :o
    They do bring in millions through tourism etc.
    I wouldn't want to change em, apart from big lugs and his trogladite.. They can go swivel. I'll never accept him as my King..
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • jillyb1
    Sorry again , Tony , but how can people who live in such a priviledged , cocoon of excess have any idea what real , normal , down to earth life is like ? Total waste of space and money . Jillyb
  • tjt6768
    :cry: leave poor lizzy alone lol..
    I think they are a great thing for the country..
    And if we dint have em we wouldn't have the palaces that people flock to see. This weekend is gonna make the country a shed load of money.. I'd hate a presidential type system. We need to be less like the yanks not more..
    There aren't too many politicians that know how us normal folk live either Jilly mi dear.

:D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • mellman01
    same her Del, thing is i can't stand all this fawning, if somone were to look up Charles's rear end you'd see Alan Titchmarsh Fiona Bruce looking back at you, it's so OTT these days it makes me feel ill, the crazy thing is Madge is a German and Philip is a Greek, how's that work then??. I guess their like many people here now immigrants living off the state respendent with disfunctional families in tow ie Prince Andrew and his dappy half a brain brother Teddy, what do they do all day apart from go on jollies payed for by us.

Sorry my spleen seems to have burst again!?.
  • emsjane
    emsjane Member Posts: 351
    Hear, hear, Mellman!!!!!

I agree totally!!

And imagine how much this boat parade is costing us all!!!!

Weve all gotta see here watching that extravagance, when most of us are struggling to pay our mortgages nowadays!! It just doesn't sit right with me im afraid!!

Get rid of the monarchy!!!
    LOVE EMMA X
  • emsjane
    emsjane Member Posts: 351
    We could turn buck palace into a luxury hotel :) and tourists would still come to visit London and see all its history etc without the royal family!!
    LOVE EMMA X
  • tjt6768
    surely all the froggy palaces were also built by Royalty? Before they lobbed off their bonces, lol..
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • jillyb1
    Maybe just open up all of our palaces ( we own and pay for them ) and with the revenue from renting out rooms purchase a cosy prefab for Liz and Phil the greek to live in . Jillyb
  • mellman01
    True Len, they picked the name Windsor to sound more British. Tell you what London's boat flotilla is going to be a tad sporty after all this rain the Thames is going to be running a tad fast I'd imagine, and down there its tidal and barges don't do tidal to well so maybe it will be more action packed than they all expect?, and what's the betting Alan flippin Titchmarsh will be as far up a royal bum as he can crawl.
    Still even after all his fawning he still hasn't got a gong, boy I bet that smarts!.
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    well i watched it and enjoyed seeing the young royals enjoy it all bless them and to see the thames as it should be with boats on they have shut the barrier to help the small boats .
    i am glad it was on loved it but feel queen might be frozen she looked it
    val
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Hear hear Val.Mig
  • RosieGlow
    RosieGlow Member Posts: 175
    Whatever you think of the Monarchy in general, the Queen has never put a foot wrong since she came to the throne. It was what she was born to, and I believe she has put duty - rightly or wrongly - before everything, and probably been distressed that her family appear not to have done the same.

I agree with you Val, she looked perished, and it must have been difficult standing all that time. She IS 86 years old. Determined b*gger though isn`t she, she wasn`t gonna sit down!!......Rosie.
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    My queen My Country
    What a Fantastic pageant and all the Queens Horses what a fantastic show of strength and loyalty from the commonwealth and others to our Queen. We are so lucky to have her representing our Country.
    Leave the country in times of trouble or conflict I don’t think so the King and Queen stated in London And the then Princess Elizabeth Joined the WRACKS
    What has she done for the country I suppose she has given her all and the same with Philip He already had it all so did she as a princess instead they dedicated their lives to each other and the country. As for taking have any of you any idea of the millions she pays in taxes that she doesent have to but chose herself to do so, and how many millions to charity’s. She has given more to this country than she has taken she has given a lifetime. Anyway I just wanted to say I think they are great, we all have our share of family problems she just had a bad run with the kids it happens or did you all think she was supper human no guys she’s a just a woman who happened to find herself quite by accident our Queen. Did you know she works for a living and at the age of 86 she is still working 7 days a week.
    God bless her and keep her safe.
    Colin
    PS did you see rover on the telly thats my boy rover
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • tjt6768
    I've got some bunting out on the balcony at the hotel :D
    Not seen too much of it here. Do have a bbc news channel but I've been in the jacuzzi instead lol..
    Colin, well said rkid.. :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • mig
    How condesending were the bbc today :!: Mig
  • creakyowl
    creakyowl Member Posts: 63
    Thank goodness there are still some fellow republicans left!

I am proud to say I have not seen a single minute of it all on TV and I'm :D the better for it. My spleen may not have lasted too long otherwise.

I reluctantly sat in the street in the freezing cold and rain on Sunday with the neighbours just because I have to live with them everyday and like them, but even that was torture and the joints confirm they would rather have stayed indoors too!

There is a garden party tomorrow at Sandringham, (just up the road) and if I had been invited I might have been a bit of a convert but sadly I guess my invite was lost in the post!!

I therefore have to conclude, viva la republic!! :lol:
  • mellman01
    Hi creakyowle poor old you mind you you did paint a good picure of it all, as for me I’ve been force to relinquish the flippin TV controller for far to long and have now got it back as I was about to throw a major hissy fit as I’d had a bloody gut full of it all, I came in and that Welsh pixy on the one show was on going on about how great the royals were etc etc cough choke barf!. That was it for me.
    What gets me though is if the Queen is “ordained by God” as they tell us all then why did he supply such bloody awful weather then?, surly the sun should have shone all day and the air should have been heavily scented with the smell of honey suckle and roses but all Queenie got was trench foot and mildew mixed with the strong whiff of damp peasants.
  • mig
    Will some-one please tell me why the bbc had ronnie corbet and terry wogan in their press box.TELL ME WHY. Mig
  • Heather65
    Heather65 Member Posts: 262
    Because the rest of the seven dwalfs were on holiday lol
  • tjt6768
    statistics show that six out of seven dwarves aren't HAPPY :D
    Thank you Nina for the use of that joke :wink::lol:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif