Pregnancy and osteoarthritis of hips.

Melrymax
Melrymax Member Posts: 226
edited 20. Jun 2012, 16:38 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi. I am finally being able to manage my pain fairly well and just discovered that I am pregnant. Anyone got any tips to help me along? I now have to stop my amitryptaline and naproxen and take minimal tramadol ESP near the end as I don't want baby to withdraw. Thank you

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi
    And congratulations...wish I could help but its a long time since I had my sons..and I didnt have Arthur then.
    But I really do wish you well with everything, it been a long time since we had a forum baby..
    You take care of yourself xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Congratulations! What lovely news.
    I had R.A when pregnant with my daughter.All I can say is I took sulfasalazine throughout,the pain wasn't too bad and stayed stable throughout, my bladder went crazy and I had no sympathy and no targeted help from medical staff or family so felt in the dark. I had a good birth despite. I would say that your hip pain will be the biggest bugbear as you increase weight so monitor that.
    Try to rest as much as possible and be prepared for afterwards by getting an appointment(around 1-2 months) soon after the birth incase you flare.
    I tried out lots of prams and pushchairs in the shop and found a lovely light weight one and knew straight away it was the one for me.Get a changing mat which is waist height on a table top if possible so you don't need to bend to change.

All the best
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Congratulations Merylmax :D

fabulous news.

I was wondering really whether you could have a steroid jab into your hips at all?? is it worth asking?

Love

Toni xxx
  • sailrib
    sailrib Member Posts: 327
    Congratulations, I can not offer you advice as never been pregnant but I wish you well and I hope it goes smoothly. x
  • Melrymax
    Well this is f***ing agony!!!!! Going to ring midwife for a physio referral!
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Sorry mel. Back in the Dark Ages I did my second pregnancy on soluble aspirin and it was a ****. I do sympathise.

I hope the physio will help. Maybe some different meds to tide you over? I know stlucis has a blog 'operationuptheduff' and the operation was successful so you might be able to exchange tips and commiserate.

My belated congrats, by the way. I must have missed your good news earlier.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Melrymax
    Thanks sticky. The original post I had an early mis with but now 8 weeks. I think I need an MOT lol. Will look at that blog too thanks x
  • stickywicket
    I don’t know about an MOT. Mr SW has said for years that I need a complete remould. :lol: By the way, my typo – it’s stlucia not stlucis.
    Steven Wright
  • Melrymax
    Any one able to shed some light? I am taking co codamol and tramadol regularly now and struggling to walk even after the drugs!!! Although chatting to the consultant he says they can cause abnormalities/ defects with the baby and all I can find online is conflicting. I don't know what else to do.. Going to the doctors will prob be a waste of time as they don't tend to do anything for pregnancy. I am waiting for a support belt of the physio for my bump. And am getting a bit twitched about how much medication I am taking.
  • stickywicket
    I'm just bumping this up, mel. My last pregnancy was nearly 40 years ago, all I was allowed to take was soluble aspirin and I don't even want to think about it. It was a ****! I vaguely seem to remember some on here have taken steroids during pregnancy but please don't take my word for it. Would it be worth a call to the rheumatology helpline? They might give you some - or a steroid jab.
    Steven Wright
  • CraftyDeb
    CraftyDeb Member Posts: 7
    Congratualtions. Sorry I can't offer you any advice on having OA whilst pregnant as mine came after but has your physio thought of referring you for water mobility/hydrotherapy, I find this can help relieve the pain for a few days with do meds.

Hope this is of some help x
  • Melrymax
    Thanks guys. I have midwife on Thursday so am going to speak to her about some yoga/ aqua natal an whatever else she an recommend. Im thinking of calling the out of hours docs tomorrow and see if they can offer anything. I have read up that I can have steroid injections so am going to query them and am nipping into the physio on wed to pick up my bump belt so will talk to her too! Why is there never a quick fix and why isn't it as simple as a head ache or tooth ache or something?!?!?
  • Melrymax
    Well been to the docs and she said to stop the tramadol and has given me dihydracodeine. Fingers crossed it will work but am a bit unsure about taking it while I am alone with a 3&5 year old? Wait till the husband gets home I think. Anyone found this to be effective?
  • stickywicket
    I took it while my kids were young. I found it good for pain relief but it did space me out a bit. I also found that the more I took, the more I needed to take to get the same relief so I carefully rationed myself.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    Hi merlymax

There are a few on here on it who swear by it. I agree though I would wait till bedtime for kids for safety reasons!

Will bump up a couple of threads if I can i do know this has beeen discussed before

Love

Toni xxx
  • Melrymax
    Thanks guys. I have been taking it 4 hourly now since wed evening and can honestly say I may as well just take a paracetamol!!! I am using my sticks alot now if I go out, less so in the house as there is plenty I can grab hold of to support me. Would now be a good time to attempt re applying for a blue badge?
    Oh my monkey of a 3 year old keeps running off with at least one of my "stomping sticks" as he likes to call them! My 5 year old has been lovely and attempts to help me out of the chair/bed etc
  • stickywicket
    That's tough, mel. Is it worth going back to the GP?

I can't help with the BB as mine's automatic. If you start a separate thread others who are more clued up will probably chip in.
    Steven Wright
  • Melrymax
    Thanks sticky. I hope I can see my normal gp and not the locum from last week and will ask him if he will support it if I do. I got refused last year because a gp said my problem was short term and intermittent which I am sure my usual can agree that it is neither lol especially now! Also need another prescription of tramadol. One of my senior midwives doesn't understand why I was taken off the tramadol in the first place :? Oh well am gona try for an appt tomorrow :)
  • frogmorton
    I think Now woudl be a good time Merylmax for definite. Of course they can still say it's temporary (Of course pregnancy is, but not the hips), but let's hope not :)

Having to use the sticks is relevant.

LOve

Toni xxx
  • Melrymax
    Thanks Toni. I am gona print out the forms and take them along to docs with me so I know exactly what to put as it gives a few options but I am inbetween them lol. Nothing simple eh? Lol
  • Harlansmummy
    Harlansmummy Member Posts: 89
    Hi Meryl :)

I developed arthritis after having my son, and we are currently ttc our second child. I will be watching your journey with interest because I am slightly nervous of how my mobility will be affected. I am hoping that I will know the warning signs this time, whereas last time I tried to push through the pain :roll:

Good luck with it all :D
    Twenty-something mother, home educating my wonderful son and currently TTC.

My particular flavour of arthritis is yet to be confirmed
  • Melrymax
    I have had a few good days, got down to 1crutch over the weekend and ditched the other this morning, done a few tiny jobs around the house and made a roast dinner and dessert and now can't walk sit or lyedown! Oh well likely no work on fri now. :( was hoping I could get back to normal.