Not sure what to do

Options
mummytofour
mummytofour Member Posts: 10
Hi all im knew to the forum and have been searching the net for advice (dont particularly like going to the doctors if I can help it but im wondering if maybe it is time to see someone)

Im 35 and mum to four, I started suffering with my hips as a teenagers, I did go back and forth to the docs at that point and after xrays nothing was found so i left it, it was mainly my right hip and it could get very painful.

After the birth of my twins when i was 19 I had an emergency c-section and a spinal block after their birth I suffered terribly with my back and by the time they were around two i would cry getting up in a morning with the pain and stiffness in my back, it would take me a good half hour or so to get going and moving properly. I visited the doctors who sent me for an xray which didnt show anything so again i just left it.

Over the years my back has never been right, on a couple of occassions ive been in so much pain ive been unable to straighten up or move, on those occassions i couldnt even get out of the house, but most of the time i am able to do normal every day things.

Over the last few months my back is ok through the day with the exception of the odd twinge or pain doing certain movements but its nighttime thats causing me the biggest problem and is now affecting my partner who is going to work tired because im disturbing him. If I lie downstairs on the settee though the pain is really bad in my hips as well so try to stay in bed. I get off to sleep ok but later in the night from about 2ish onwards i wake up in pain and try to swap on to my other side but i just dont get comfy and the pain keeps me awake, when i do dose off its usually disturbed not long after again because my back is hurting.

Just recently over the last few months ive also been suffering with pains in my chest bones, again this can be made worse when im in bed but also hurts to sneeze.

When I get up in the morning i find it takes me a while to get my back and neck in gear to move properly, they feel stiff and sore but as time were on i manage to move around fine with no pain.

I just dont know whether its worth seeing the doctor given how it was when i went at a younger age, i wonder if there would be anything they could do anyway. I tried taking ibruprofen and paracetomol before getting in bed a couple of nights ago but it still woke me up.

I just feel because im ok through the day most days that it may not be anything

Comments

• tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello and welcome to the forum.

I am a member of the forum, not a member of the helpline team but I saw your message and wanted to say how sorry I am that you are struggling. I know the helpline team will respond to your message here but also wanted to suggest that, if you also repost your message on the Living with Arthritis (LWA) forum you might get some helpful replies because, between us all, we have experience of all sorts of joint pain and someone may recognise what you are describing and be able to offer some suggestions. We are a friendly bunch and you will be made very welcome.

Tillyxxx
  • mummytofour
    mummytofour Member Posts: 10
    Options
    Thanks Tilly :D

I'll repost my message in the forum and see if anyone can recognise it, ive an idea of what it sounds like but not sure and didnt want to just assume x
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    welcome i to am a forum member i think you should go to doc and do not take no for an answer you should not be going through this much pain and need help good luck val
    val
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,490
    Options
    Hi mummytofour

Thanks for your posting and apologies for the delay in replying.

I’m sorry to hear about the pain you are currently experiencing.

It may be worth asking your doctor to get x-rays done on your back, neck, hips and chest to see what is going on in the joints, as well as getting blood tests done to see if there is any inflammation in your system. You could also ask for a referral to a physiotherapist for some treatment.

For information on back, neck and hip pain see http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/common-pain/back-pain.aspx, http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/common-pain/neck-pain.aspx and http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Listedbytype/Factsheets/main_content/OAhipfactsheetJune2011.pdf.

You are welcome to ring us on 0808 800 4050 if you would like to have a chat about your current situation.

Regards

Nick
    Helplines Team