how to talk to gp

amet1
amet1 Member Posts: 45
hi new to this, i have been told i have wear and tear arthritis this affects my hands right knee,left ankle and top and bottom of my spine, i am on naproxyn, and depending on the pain tramadol, cocodemol or paracetemol (although i tend to try and limit these as i dont like being dependant on painkillers) i take amyltrypyline for the nerve pain and propanalol and citalopram due to depression caused by being in so much pain. my problem is that only my family are aware of how incapacitated i am now, as i have severe difficulties with stairs and have moved down stairs and i have severe pain and get stuck sitting down, the pain is intractable at this time and reduces me to tears. i cant get through the night as i have to change position when the pain gets unbearable. i am waiting for an mri to rule out anything serious with my spine. when i go out i dont look ill i try not to drag my leg and i try not to show that every step hurts like hell. i walk fast to get there and back quickly but tend to trip and fall.i dont know how much of this i actully convey to my gp as now my right leg has started jerking badly in certain positions and wont stop. idont want to be this bad as i am feel like i am fighting a battle with my body to maintain my independance and mobility, i need advice as i know that i have problems and dont know what to do next thanx

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Amet1,

Welcome to the forum, glad you've found us and I'm sure you'll encounter many wonderful supportive people that post regularly on these boards.
    But to come back to your original question - please let your doctor know absolutely EVERYTHING that is going on for you. I'd particularly want to know his/her opinion on your jerking leg movements that won't stop. In fact, you've got so much happening at the moment that I'd be inclined to try and book a double appointment just so that you've got the opportunity to talk about everything in detail. If you're worried about asking the right questions, write them down before you go. Keeping a diary record of your pain levels (when/where etc) may help and if you're really anxious, see if there's anyone you can take with you.
    What is most important is that you get some significant pain relief and you'll be giving yourself the best chance of achieving this by being as open and upfront as possible.
    Best wishes
    Paul
  • amet1
    just seen him he seems a bit concerned and has booked me in for an urgent mri he says my knee seems stable and reflexes ok but a bit worried about the jerking leg and pins and needles in pubic bone area think my spine causing more problems than i thought, took hubby with me and didnt cry for once lol
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi Amet1

I am a member of the forum and on reading about the jerking movements that you are experiencing, I wondered if you may perhaps be suffering from Restless Legs Syndrome. This can affect the arms and other parts of the body as well as the legs and can be most distressing. Certain drugs can aggravate RLS and quite a few people find that amitriptyline is one of them and in some cases, some medications prescribed for depression.

It is good that your GP has taken you under his wing and ordered an emergency MRI scan for you.

Why not join us on the Living with Arthritis forum. You will receive great support and help on there.

I had a spinal op some months ago (neck) and had similar symptoms to you, ie wobbly walking, pins and needles, numbness, stumbling etc. I do suffer from RLS periodically and after the op had jerking of the legs/foot in the day when at rest and in bed, but this has improved with time.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • amet1
    hi thanx the amyltryp is for the shooting pains and like a creeping cold that goes down my arm and leg at night really worried about the mri, as i chickened out on carpel tunnel surgery to both my hands 2 years ago and lost weight to relieve the pressure and have are they bouchard nodes on my fingers? or the other type, surgery worries me greatly but very wobbly on my feet, dont feel particulaly safe at the moment.
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    Hi amet1

You are welcome to ring us on 0808 800 4050 if you would like to have a chat about your current concerns and worries.

Regards

Nick
    Helplines Team
  • amet1
    thanx willdo when i know more about what they are intending to do, injections i can cope with but the rest :?:
  • longbinxie48
    longbinxie48 Member Posts: 3
    In fact, you've got so much happening at the moment that I'd be inclined to try and book a double appointment just so that you've got the opportunity to talk about everything in detail. If you're worried about asking the right questions, write them down before you go.g.gif