Some drivers eh?

tjt6768
tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
edited 26. Jun 2012, 04:34 in Community Chit-chat archive
Just parked in my usual spot, you know the one DD, outside moggisons in the disabled bays..
An old fella and his missus come driving up to the side of me, and CRACK, straight into the huge steel lamppost..... It's not like you couldn't see the thing... It's forty foot tall and about twelve inch circumference :shock: (behave DD) LOL

They didn't even notice :shock: Just got out and walked away... Now me, being a nosey bugger had to look.
Sure enough,a nice big crack in his bumper :roll:
I also noticed quite a few others, probably done in a similar way. Lol
Maybe that's his breaking system? Haha

I did tell him, his wife just rolled her eyes as if to say "again"
He had a look, and said, "oooh, that one wasn't there before"

Some folks should not be on the road....
e050.gifMe-Tony
n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
k040.gif
Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Maybe he thinks that's why it's called a bumper.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Maybe they where listening to Grace Jones! ' pull up to the bumper!' :lol:
    But you are right my OH comes home most days sething that an old dear had cut in front of him just missing his car, not looking in their mirrors or signaling to soon or to late! I agree with my OH when you hit 60yrs old you should have to retake your driving test and if you fail you should have your license taken off you.
  • tjt6768
    lol
    I know that at a certain age you DO have to retake your test, but I can't remember what the age is. And I'm not sure if you have to literally pass the test as todays standard?
    This is the kind of stuff our Del would know... :roll:
    Oooh, reading back, that seems like I'm calling him an old codger :o that's not how I meant it at all haha
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    My father in law is 85, he has never taken a test, he got his license during the war. He did have to renew his license, and have a medical, a few years ago, but as far as I remember no test! He's still driving, I won't get in a car with him driving, it's so bad!
    Numpty
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    no test that i know of but fill in form to say they safe to drive but who is to say they are??? val
    val
  • resusjan
    resusjan Member Posts: 290
    My step father is 77 and still drives .............HE SHOULDN'T.

He had to renew his licence but it was just form filling. He is absolutely awful on the road. My daughter and I went in the car with him at christmas and I was so scared I was almost in tears. On the way home, I decided it was safer for me to drive back even though his car wasn't insured for me to drive (I would have been covered on my own insurance). He gets the car to 50mph and thats where it stays till he reaches his destination. That includes going round sharp bends, down narrow lanes and across junctions!
  • tjt6768
    out is such an awful thing as I know it's their independence and lots of us can relate to that BUT..... There should, without a doubt be a proper driving test..
    The standard of some of the older drivers (yeah, younger ones too but that's stupidity mainly and showing off) is dreadful....
    I cringe sometimes when I hear them revving the bahoogies off the car engine reversing etc, whilst barely lifting the clutch and going nowhere... That's a classic warning sign if you ask me.. Basic clutch control is essential...
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    I was only asking the Mrs the other day what those posts where for
    never realised they where for stopping the car. My wife always uses the Kerb, Gates, privets, or the back of my new Merc
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • tjt6768
    Now, wimmin drivers... That's a whole different POST on it's own, forgive the pun. Lol
    Right, I know I'm gonna be in bother with the wimmin folks again :roll: :lol:
    Colin1 wrote:
    I was only asking the Mrs the other day what those posts where for
    never realised they where for stopping the car. My wife always uses the Kerb, Gates, privets, or the back of my new Merc
    Colin
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • earthspirit
    earthspirit Bots Posts: 278
    ive regularly been driving up and down the country for years - 600 miles at a time. some people actually dont seem to understand how to use mirrors. there are old people overtake you in the middle lane doing only 50 and its like ffs get out of my space you old bat (i shall be one of those some day)

then there are the country roads where old men with straw in their caps do a steady 30 and you cant overtake them cos the road is too winding. im convinced that half of these are either tight when it comes to paying for petrol OR they had a little tipple or two and dont want to tempt fate.

i really love the really old people who give me horrendous looks as i park in disabled bays and then realise that i am actually moving more stiffly and slowly than they are......then i look at them in a funny way as they walk away with a spring in their step from the disabled bay :roll: :roll:
  • stickywicket
    tjt6768 wrote:
    Now, wimmin drivers... That's a whole different POST on it's own, forgive the pun. Lol

Got it in one, Tony. Now, where's me rolling pin? :lol:
    Steven Wright
  • tjt6768
    oh eck.. I'm for it now :o:lol:

Earth... You're spot on with the middle lane hoggers.. Drive me insane... That lane is an over taking lane... If you're not overtaking owt, pull in. I shouldn't have to go into the fast lane at sixty cos you're say in the middle one doing fifty :x
    If I see someone flying down all the way in the middle lane, as they go past me (if there is nothing else to overtake) I flash them as if to say "pull in now ya plonker" works about seventy percent of the time.. Makes em think anyway..
    Must admit the majority of middle lane dawdlers are wimmin and old farts lol.
    Ooops, I've done it again..
    Sticky.. Get thi rollin pin out lass, I've a feeling you're gonna need it more than once :lol:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    tjt6768 wrote:

Got it in one, Tony. Now, where's me rolling pin? :lol:

Here it is Sticky u075.gif

Havne't they done research about which gender is safest? :wink:

Love

toni xx
  • fowls48
    fowls48 Member Posts: 1,357
    Ooh you cheeky Buggar.Some wimmin are better drivers than men!
    I think you have to retake your test at 75 years old .
    Off ti watch the grand prix now . :lol:
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Everyone should stop driving at 75, you know its coming up and should make arrangements, quit whilst you're ahead!

No mistakes as you grow worst, no time to drive badly, no sudden cessation of driving, no argument, no question about when, no exorbitant costs trying to run a car on a pension, less numbers on the road. Safer roads, stop at 75 its fair to all.

My father carried on till he was 85 and I couldn't stop him, (87 now and registered blind), I contacted his doctor, DVLA etc etc and still he drove with macular disease, he'd get to a T junction, mum would lean forward, look left and right and say, "clear now" and he would pull out at a high rate of knots. He always preferred driving in France, not so much traffic, they'd drive from one end to other on the back roads. I know many more that are in the same position.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Umm..... Tony ... I am a class one advanced driver and a woman and beat a tion of men on the 4x4 challenge I did :D:D:D

They hated it and it was in an old beat up series 2 landrover and their nice ponced up cars were no match... and nor was the driving... that's all I am saying....

Oh and to rub salt in their wounds even further I was still young as well :lol:

So less of the woman drivers... good and bad of both sexes..... :lol::lol::lol:

Velcro said to tell Ra she is very good driver and hopes he is safe as well? Cris xx
  • tjt6768
    lol
    Thanks everyone :lol:
    Toni, that research was done by a wummun heehee :wink:

There are some exceptions I will concede (good of me really eh? Lol)
    I think on the whole though, men ARE better drivers technically, it's just there are more ar$eh0le men drivers than ar$eh0le wimmin drivers, hence the bunkum research :D
    Cris... Well done hun.
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • stickywicket
    tjt6768 wrote:
    I think on the whole though, men ARE better drivers technically,

Hm. Care to elaborate on that, Tony? Especially on what 'technically' means in this context. (That is code for 'typical bl88dy bloke' :lol:)

Seriously, I do think age is a factor but there are other things too. My Dad kept up his licence for years after he got rid of his car (After I was born. Couldn't afford to keep both baby & car. Got rid of the wrong one. That 's the story I inherited :lol: ) He even helped teach others to drive, never having driven himself for years. My sister kept driving (whenever given the opportunity, which was rarely), after retirement and so losing access to the work's car. She terrified me. If she needed a right lane for a roundabout she'd get into line about 1/2 mile in advance in case it was crowded later. Buses used to 'undertake' her. And, yes Tony. She's a woman :oops:
    Steven Wright
  • tjt6768
    lol
    I actually figured that bit out about your sister bring a wummun :lol:

By technical I mean, such things as reversing... You gotta about, on the while blokes are better at things like reverse parking etc..
    Three point turns etc..

I know I'm not offending you ladies :wink:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • frogmorton
    Tony

I am BERILLIANT at reverse parking

like all us women

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16802272

just more considerate and conscientious!!!

Love ya Tone :D

Toni xxx
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    My dad is 76. He didn't need to take another test, only to renew his license when he was 70, I think. He gets terrible road rage when there is someone coming round the roundabout and they don't stop to let him out. Or he'll quickly jump in to a parking space when someone was already waiting for it. He recently put his foot on the accelerator instead of the break and crashed in to a wall, writing off the car. We have all tried to convince him of the advantages of using his free bus pass but he's having none of it and is off to look for another car tomorrow.

Don't women get cheaper insurance because they are better, safer drivers?
    Christine
  • tjt6768
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_rHY1qKLLws

Really love the car park bit... Lol

Hey, Toni... That study was only a month long... Heehee
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • frogmorton
    :wink:

b080.gif

Toni xxx
  • 7worlds
    7worlds Member Posts: 302
    Hey Tony. You were lucky, he could have been straight into the back of you! He would probably have blamed you as well! lol

7worlds
  • tjt6768
    oy spamster...
    Do one before I get the ANTI SPAMSTER HAMSTER out of his cage.. He feeds on spamster testicles so disappear quick :x
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP