Lipoma!

emsjane
emsjane Member Posts: 351
edited 28. Jun 2012, 16:24 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi,

This is nothing to do with Arthritis, so thats why im putting it in Chit chat.

I went for an ultrasound scan yesterday for a lump on the inside of my thigh and doc said it is a fatty lump called a lipoma.

Apparently, it is quite large and removing it would mean a large ish scar and would be a difficult recovery cos of where it is. He said it isn't affecting the muscle and it doesnt really bother me unless it gets squashed or i poke and prod it. So he said it was probably best to leave it and not remove it.

But at the end of the conversation he said it does continue to grow, all be it, slowly!!! So im now thinking, should i push to have it removed or not!!

Has anyone else had one of these, apparently they are quite common!!
LOVE EMMA X

Comments

• elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Emsjane

Tricky isnt it cos he was said it will scar and becuase of where it is (is that cos of blood vessels etc?)...I think if that would have been me the bit worrying me wouldve been that it will keep growing even if it is slowly...I mean its your body and if its causing you distress etc id ask again about removing it....
    I had a thing in my mouth, not the same, a blocked saliva duct that never healed and I kept chewing it....It caused pain and it caught on most things i was eating so went to see about it at the maxilliofacial clinic...It was about the size of a 2p coin and the man there laughed and said it was tiny but also asked me would I like it removed...I said yes please and he did so, put in a few stitches and it never grew back...I was glad got it taken out....As i said not quite the same I know but hope you come to a clear conclusion..

Elainex
    emsjane wrote:
    Hi,

This is nothing to do with Arthritis, so thats why im putting it in Chit chat.

I went for an ultrasound scan yesterday for a lump on the inside of my thigh and doc said it is a fatty lump called a lipoma.

Apparently, it is quite large and removing it would mean a large ish scar and would be a difficult recovery cos of where it is. He said it isn't affecting the muscle and it doesnt really bother me unless it gets squashed or i poke and prod it. So he said it was probably best to leave it and not remove it.

But at the end of the conversation he said it does continue to grow, all be it, slowly!!! So im now thinking, should i push to have it removed or not!!

Has anyone else had one of these, apparently they are quite common!!
  • Melrymax
    Melrymax Member Posts: 226
    My husband had one on his neck and has healed fine, yes there is scar but it is a tidy one..... But your not going to be flashing the inside of your thigh to everyone are you? So I wouldn't worry Bout the scar, and as it is going to get bigger, wouldn't it be better to get it removed now as surely the bigger the lump the harder it will be to heal and a bigger scar?
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,402
    Hi Emma

Poor you :shock:

Not sure what I woudl do, but have to agree with Merylmax....not many folks will see your inner thigh :?

They are prepared to do it at no cost to you??

Got to be worth thinking about.

Love

Toni xxx
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    think I would go ahead and have it taken out now. Might as well. I reckon you'll end up having it removed at some point anyway :D
    Best of luck whatever you decide :wink:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi Emsjane

If it was me I would have it removed. Now it is not affecting the muscle but if it does get much larger then presumably that is a possibility. I understand that you can have steroid treatment causing it to shrink or liposuction to remove the fatty tissue. If too big, for either of these procedures, as appears to be in your case, an op to remove it. Presumably there are risks as with any op but surely the smaller the lipoma when removed, the better.

I am not sure if what I had removed was the same as yours, as it was done years ago. It started off the size of a pea and grew quite large and used to aggravate when wearing trousers or a skirt because of where it was. I had a local anaesthetic when it was removed and no problems. The scar is about 2.5 inches long.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Hi Emsjane,

I had a lump in my groin a couple of years ago and the consultant said there was a slight risk of it being lymphoma. :shock: He said I could have it removed or leave it and he would keep an eye on it as it might just disappear.

I decided to have it removed and it was done under local anaesthetic. It was sent to histology and found to be an enlarged harmless lymph node. I decided to have it taken out because it worried me and every time I felt it I was convinced it was getting bigger so I did it for peace of mind. I do have a scar but its hardly noticeable.

Anything else you need to know, please ask.

Hope this helps.

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • elnafinn
    Hi Linda

I may be totally wrong but I think a lymphoma is not the same as a lipoma.

Hope you are keeping ok. Today is too hot for me - it is making me feel really lethargic.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    elnafinn wrote:
    Hi Linda

I may be totally wrong but I think a lymphoma is not the same as a lipoma.

Hope you are keeping ok. Today is too hot for me - it is making me feel really lethargic.

Elna x

Hi Elna,

I did realise it was different and was just relating my experience and hadn't confused the two :D Thanks for saying something though, my post is obviously worded as though I think they're the same thing :roll: :lol::lol:

I'm fine and love this hot weather even if it's humid, it's the only time of year I'm warm :D

I'm due to be NannaLegs in 8 days time :o ................you never know we might be getting a little Lola .....................watch this space :wink:

Lots of love,
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • elnafinn
    :lol: I remember well that you are going to be a Nannalegs but could not remember exactly when. I was sure that I had not missed this piece of grand news. 8 days time. Bet those days cannot pass quickly enough! Let's hope this baby pops out on time, for everyone's sake! Exciting times ahead for you my lovely! I shall be looking out for news from you. :D:D

Love
    Elna x