Ideas please?

Melrymax
Melrymax Member Posts: 226
edited 29. Jun 2012, 16:06 in Community Chit-chat archive
It is my dads 50th birthday this October, and I have no idea what to get the man that has everything or can buy himself anything he wants?

Comments

• mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    How about a track day driving some kind of sports car?. A flight in a Dacota?. they do trips from Oxford airport and it's all done in 1940's style so you need to dress up but you get a sight seeing flight and a meal, I've always wated to do it.
    Or how about a flight to see the Northern lights, costs around £200, the flights are always around september onwards and the solar maximum is coming up so you'd need to book up now, I know a chap who went this winter and he saw them.
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    I'm with Mell on the track day, my daughter bought one for my husband. He said it's the best thing he's ever done!
    Numpty
  • Melrymax
    I had thought about the track days but when he had a contract with shell/Ferrari he spen alot of time in the pits for Ferrari at grand prix's over the years then his works organised a team to compete in the mini challenge and he done a few tracks with ollie Mortimer so it wouldn't be one of those once only events. I tried to look into weather I could get him on a day with the red arrows but can't see too much on it. I did think of hiring a porche for a week for him but he wouldn't get the time to appreciate it as he'd like to.
    Thought about a canvas of th grand kids but there will be another one to add to it a month later. So that will e his Xmas present instead.
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    I don't know how much you want to spend or where you live but my friend drove a tank on her birthday :shock: As part of the package she went tank paint balling too. It was her 60th and she said it was one of the best days of her life.

If you Google Armourgeddon that's the site based in the Midlands but there could be a similar one near to where your dad lives if you're interested.

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    it so hard as we know nothing about him or what he likes ,a small gift could be a rose bush to remind him all all the grand children when he looks at it. or just spending the day together some times it being with those we love that counts more than what they spend take photos and put in album val
    val
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Meryl

Does you dad read at all..Just thought a Kindle may be an idea, my mum got one and she loves it....
    Can I rule out one idea? a balloon ride, my brother got one for his 50th, he is now 54 and still hasnt had it as every time he goes to the location they get a phone call saying "the balloon ride has been cancelled due to the unstable weather conditions" and this is on days when its blue sky's streaming through with not a breath of wind...We joke it'll be left to someone in his will!

Elainex
    Melrymax wrote:
    It is my dads 50th birthday this October, and I have no idea what to get the man that has everything or can buy himself anything he wants?
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Oh Elaine, my daughter bought a balloon ride for her partner a year ago, they too have found it's been cancelled due to weather conditions when the weather has been fine! I wonder if it's the same company.
    Numpty
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Meryl..............."the balloon ride has been cancelled due to the unstable weather conditions" and this is on days when its blue sky's streaming through with not a breath of wind...We joke it'll be left to someone in his will!

Elainex

The trouble with balloon rides they need some wind to propel the balloon and it can also be too hot because the balloon might catch fire if it overheats :shock: So the weather might seem good to us but they're not the right conditions for a balloon ride. :D

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Hi Numpty...

Im betting it is and as Madonna says "Like a ******"?....Its laughable as to me its now gotten to be an excuse for him and his gf who bought it to have a weekend away with the full knowledge that this damn thing will be cancelled every time without fail! I know we dont see all the weather conditions everywhere but if these things are so sensitive should they be on sites for such purpose?

Elainex
    Oh Elaine, my daughter bought a balloon ride for her partner a year ago, they too have found it's been cancelled due to weather conditions when the weather has been fine! I wonder if it's the same company.
    Numpty
  • Melrymax
    Ok my dad...... He dotes on the kids, collects camper van things like mini figures and ornaments etc, he is a transport manager so driving things will be a been there done that kind of thing. He is very family orientated. I am making him a camper van birthday cake as we are all going out for dinner. He doesn't read. He is into cycling ATM but he has just gone out and bought himself an all singing all dancing bike. I got him a load of bike accesories at Xmas. He is a bugger to buy for lol
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    it all depends on the depth of your pocket
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • Melrymax
    I don't mind if it is something worth while, up to £200? Or £300 if my brother wants to chip in!