Who will admit to going in Pound Shops

alanthemanc
alanthemanc Bots Posts: 512
edited 19. Jul 2012, 18:04 in Community Chit-chat archive
The Pound Shop in our town is the only one where it's busy, the others are doing nothing really. (Ghost Town )
But I've got to admit, I thought the shoppers would be Chav's looking to buy large bags of crisps etc, but looking at the people in there, they were sort of middle class looking, if you know what I mean.
Maybe the recession is so bad , everyone is going in Pound Shops, but sneak in there when their friends arn't about.
There must be a load of Pound Shoppers on here, sneaking in at 9.am, fingers crossed no friends will be about. Alanthemanc

Comments

• mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I go in .mig
  • daylily
    daylily Member Posts: 619
    Me too, they're great for cleaning stuff.
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    :lol: What is the matter with going into a £ shop? I think they are great and the staff most helpful and courteous. :D I am only sorry that there is not one in our town. I have to get the bus, to the nearest two, one a £ shop, the other a 99p shop. All types of people go into £/99p shops, same as all types go into charity shops now. I used to frequent the one charidee shop yonks ago in our town and my kiddies were so ashamed of me for doing so. :lol: I used to get such great bargains - now that they are so popular with everyone and so many of them, the prices have gone sky high to what they used to be, 25 or so years ago!

Why pay more if you can buy it for less, - £ shops rule!

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • alanthemanc
    Elna
    I was only kidding, I go in for Extra Strong Mints every Week, great value at 3 for £1. But I do know people that do have a quick look over the shoulder before they go in, in case the neighbours are lurking about.Alanthemanc :lol:
  • alanthemanc
    You'd never catch Hiacinth Bucket in a Pound Shop though would you :lol::lol::lol: Alanthemanc
  • elnafinn
    :lol: Alan, we get the Foxes Glacier Fruits in there - 2 pkts for £1. :D Hubby has recently retired so he can no longer call in there in his lunch hour now. We shall have to take the bus together to the £ shop. Free travel, with our bus passes. :lol We know how to live!
    Enjoy those mints! :D

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • alanthemanc
    I did get some great garden solar lights for £1 each from there, £ 2 in Wilkinsons, good God I'm sounding like a cheapskate, but everyone likes a bargain like you said. Keep well Elna, nice to hear from you once more. Alanthemanc
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    I go in mostly during the spring and summer for plants and garden stuff. They are always packed. I think everyone I know goes in to them.
    Christine
  • Avrielle
    Avrielle Member Posts: 182
    Wow! :shock:

You say it like its a bad thing!

Pound shops and discount shops are great. I mean, why buy something for £3 when you can get the exact same product for £1?

A lot of brands are rip offs too. Get the generic version of a product and a lot of the time it will be exactly the same as the expensive branded product. Not all the time and food is a big exception, but you soon learn what is good and what isn't.

Also, a lot of discount shops will have the branded products but at a much lower price than other shops. There is nothing wrong with these products. It is usually down to how much they buy in bulk from warehouses and gain discounts which are passed on to the customers and that really doesn't happen in the big name supermarkets and chain shops.

I swear by discount shops. Occassionally there is a odd con or illegally selling certain products. Its very rare, but I have seen it in a chain discount shop once or twice. But its pure common sense/your own personal judgement when shopping there.

Don't diss them. They are great! I don't have much income at all, and if it weren't for discount shops, I would be in a much, mucher tougher spot... It would likely be a case of not eating a few days a fortnight!

It's not just chavs. It's all sorts of people who shop in these places. Like I've already mentioned, would you rather pay £3 for something or £1?

One serious financial con that comes to mind are pregnancy tests. You can be looking at £15 for a single test! But in my local discount shop you can sometimes get the simple strips without the plastic, which is all you need, for 10 for £1!

So there. :-)
    Life is just a ride. Up and down, round and around, thrills and chills, very brightly coloured and very loud. But don't ever be afraid, because it is just a ride.
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    You can pick up some great stuff Cheap for arthritis suffersers I got a long shoe horn £1
    KFS with fat handles £1
    6 Scewers with wooden handles £1 you can shape them and use them for many things
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    I go in, I don't care who sees me! I even go in A**i, which I discovered recently. The prodcuts are in fact the same as the other supermarket brands for a lot less money. I even got a voucher for £5 off so I am hopefully going there on Monday with hubby in my wheelchair. :D

I save pounds by shopping this way and why not? Means I can spend the saved cash on my Emma Br****wat** stuff which I am obsessed with according to hubby! Whatever does he mean? :o

Janie
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    They are fantastic for all sorts of things on the domestic front, that's why I go there (or QD). How's the toothbrush going Alan? Are you used to it yet? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • georgie66
    georgie66 Member Posts: 403
    yes i go in the pound shop..it is situated right by our bus stop. so we wander in while waiting for the bus..picked up a few bargains in the past..
    georgie
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    I go in ...why not..I get all sorts of things...and my hubby gets diy stuff...I save a fortune on certain things...and I love to look for the one off ...the things they get in and when they are gone that is it.
    The last thing I bought was yellow fin tuna...I love it...saves around £6 on 3 tins ...oh I could go on...and no I dont have shares ..only wish I did :lol:
    Love
    Barbara
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    we have 2 in town and i go in when ever i have time and do not look over my shoulder if others want to pay more for the same thing then that there problem if i save money where i can i get more treats being on short time at work you have to look after the pennys.
    yes do al*i it closest supermarket to me and such good value. used my vouchers so great value this week and new treats to try val
    val
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    I try to avoid pound land, its not really a place i would like to be seen in people might think i was poor, next youll be asking do we go to boot sales and charity shops ye gods is nothing sacred.
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • elnafinn
    :lol: I love Wetherspoon pubs too. Great value :lol: Lunch for two was £6.49 and it was well presented, served politely and no wait. Value for money with the drinks too. :D

Elna x

• Avrielle
    Avrielle Member Posts: 182
    The town here used to have a fantastic high street. But then some shops went in to administration (main one being Woolworths) and the council suddenly stopped caring about whotook over the shops on the highstreet just as long as they were making money.

We have a poundstretcher, Home Bargains, plus a local discount shop. A farmfoods, Aldis, and Tesco moved in not long ago which has messed up the town completely. Because of Tesco, the bus service is utterly horrid and it is near impossible to get a bus to any of Tescos competing supermarkets! Also, they have unleashed their own repeat prescription service and managed to block Boots from doing thier repeat prescription service for my doctors!

Anyway, there is also a weatherspoons here, it is always the same crowd in there though. And since I had a major argument with one of the guys in there (they sit and drink all day everyday) I refuse to go in there when he is around to avoid conversation. But since I barely drink anyway, it isn't a problem.

We have a market on twice a week. Most of it is clothes fallen of the back of a wagon, but it is great for buying veg and fruit from one of the stalls. Back when I used to work, I would give the guy who own the stall discounts on flapjacks he bought from me and in return he would give me big bags full of all sorts for a couple of quid! Bonus! He still gives me the odd discount here and there if I buy a large amount from him. "How much is that?" "How much you got?" we have a miniture haggle and would normally settle for a random low figure. £5 of stuff that would be around £15 in a shop.

The stall that sells smoking stuff, like lighters, tobacco tins, cannabis utensils and the like is also good for bargains. But he is hardly ever around since the police busted him for selling canabis on the stall. Lol!

It's very handy to know where all the cheap things are in town. However, my fortnightly shop normally consists of me going to about 5 different shops!

There is also a long line of charity shops dotted around town. I can't lie, all these discount shops do make the town look rather dead-end. A real shame considering what it used to be like when it was full to bursting with shoppers and decent shops.

However, on the other end of the scale there are these high-class shops that pop up from time to time in town. Fancy clothes shops with price tags that are higher than my annual income - or worse, the ones WITHOUT price tags. If there is no price tag on it, it means I certainly can't afford it! lol! Same with the fancy jewellry shops too.

The most mysterious Top-End shop that has now dissapeared (most probably because everyone else thought it just as mysterious as I did) was one called Lemon and Lime. I have never heard of it before, and I don't know if it is a chain or not. But they took a large shop space over and filled it with... Nothing! Just a big floor space and a desk at the far end with a rather pretty looking woman filing her nails sitting there. There were a couple of hand bags on a wall, which may or may not have been for sale, but apart from that there was nothing! Very mysterious. No idea what their market was - if they had one at all! Lol!

But there really is nothing in-between! Its all either super expensive and high-end, or very low-brow discount shops. Only exceptions being Boots, the Supermarkets, and a couple of high-street clothes shops.

Gee. I must be bored writing all this. :roll:
    Life is just a ride. Up and down, round and around, thrills and chills, very brightly coloured and very loud. But don't ever be afraid, because it is just a ride.
  • fowls48
    fowls48 Member Posts: 1,357
    Yes

I go into pound land , my dad loves it , he purchased me some stationary envelopes so i could put prescriptions and med cards in .So i can carry them about without them getting crusted up in the bottom of my bag .Also you can get aqueous cream for a pound instead of paying 3.00 from supermarkets .
    You can get some good bargains .If you are :oops: to go in there just where a hoodie :lol:
  • fowls48
    fowls48 Member Posts: 1,357
    Elna
    I was only kidding, I go in for Extra Strong Mints every Week, great value at 3 for £1. But I do know people that do have a quick look over the shoulder before they go in, in case the neighbours are lurking about.Alanthemanc :lol:
    OOH Please be careful with the mints THEY WILL ruin your teeth if you eat too many
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    We got a £1 and a 99p shop.

the ladies in W*lkos said they are struggling because of them :(

I got some sweet Christmas decs from the 99p one :oops:

LOve

Toni xxx
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    I Love them :D Anything for a bargain,me. Where I live a shopping centre known as chavvy has 2 pound shops and a 99p shop. Consequentially they are in competition and the £1 shop is now a 95p shop.

Win Win for me :D
  • alanthemanc
    I went in Wilkinsons today for a stiff brush, the place ain't what it used to be, even the mouth wash has gone up 25p, and the bottle has got smaller.
    Elna, the Indian style meals the Wetherspoons is very good, but avoid the garden peas, they are like bullets. Overall stuff like the mixed grill, is still ptretty good, although I like my eggs a bit crispier. Still good value on certain days. Alanthemanc
  • lynnmick
    lynnmick Member Posts: 72
    I love these shops, im always looking for a bargain , i also love car boots, there are loads near to me in the midlands , have picked up many a bargain from car boots.

Lynn XX
  • elnafinn
    Elna, the Indian style meals the Wetherspoons is very good, but avoid the garden peas, they are like bullets. Overall stuff like the mixed grill, is still ptretty good, although I like my eggs a bit crispier. Still good value on certain days. Alanthemanc

Hi Alan, mushy peas are ok there though :) As you say, good value on certain days, especially when you are nattering to a friend for 5/6 hours. ;) :-D

Elna x