hip revision

hildamck
hildamck Member Posts: 6
edited 13. Jul 2012, 12:16 in Say Hello Archive
my hip replacement is 30 years old and is now on the verge of collapse, can anyone tell me of their experiences of hip revision as I am very nervous of having it done.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,707
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I can’t tell you anything about a hip revision, hildamck, and, to be honest, I’m not sure I remember anyone on here writing of one.

However, there are a couple of us who have had very successful knee revisions and, given that THRs have been on the go longer than TKRs, I will be very optimistic as/when/if my two THRs need revision.

For what it’s worth, I know that my knee implant is now much longer than it was before but the great thing is that it’s better. When I had my first ones, my ligaments and tendons were all gone and they couldn’t do anything about it at the time. By the time I got my revision 2-3 years ago, they managed to do a bit of embroidery with them so the new TKR actually works better than the old one ever did - and the old one worked well for about 27 years.

If your THR is now 30 it certainly doesn't owe you anything, does it?

If you ask the Helplines people they may have some info. Also, if you post this thread on the Living With Arthritis forum, I know others will chip in with encouragement even if they can't supply any information.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • daylily
    daylily Member Posts: 619
    Hi,
    I had a hip revision last September with fantastic results, the recovery was actually easier than the hip resurfacing it was replacing. The re surfaced hip had been put in at the wrong angle so after 4 years of pain they admitted I needed a THR.
    The hip felt 'better' straight after the op, walked to the loo unaided 5 hours after being back on the ward.
    Good luck, the relief from pain will be worth it.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,707
    Daylily, I do apologise. I was vaguely aware that someone had had something recently but...... :roll:

I don't know if a revision on a resurfacing is exactly the same as a revision on a THR. I'm sure someone on the Helplines would though.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • daylily
    daylily Member Posts: 619
    Hi sticky, you are right of course, the leg bone will have been cut before for the THR where as it is not cut on a re surface, I think the methods used now should be less intrusive though.

It was explained to me in September what would happen if I ever needed another THR but I've forgotton :oops: