bilateral patellofemoral osteoarthritis

Options
razzbery
razzbery Member Posts: 4
can any one help im confused my xrays say ive got moderate osteoarthritis but the mri scan results are normal? why do my knees hurt so much if the mri is normal :?:

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Razzbery

Welcome to the forum. I am a member of the forum and did a quick google and found this, which may answer your question.

"The pain from osteoarthritis does not necessarily correlate with the imaging findings".

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,490
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi razzbery

As elnafinn mentions, the results of the x-ray doesn’t always correlate to the amount of pain and discomfort you may feel.

Some people may have lost all or most of their cartilage in a joint and it hardly affects them and others may have lost a small amount and experience a lot of discomfort and pain.

For more information on osteoarthritis in the knee see http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/conditions/osteoarthritis-of-the-knee.aspx.

Seeing a physiotherapist is a good first step (if you haven’t already; you can ask your doctor for a referral), as they will be able to advise on exercises to strengthen the muscles around the knee as well as to offer treatment like massage and ultrasound.

You are welcome to ring us on 0808 800 4050 if you would like to have a chat about things.

All the best

Nick
    Helplines Team