Hello

Options
helpatpol
helpatpol Member Posts: 22
edited 25. Jul 2012, 10:18 in Say Hello Archive
Hello. I am another newbe to this site. I was diagnosed about 9 months ago but I am still in denial and resistant to take the meds prescribed though I know this is inevitable soon. I have a busy job and life and I have found all your comment really helpful in getting some perspective on this disease. Thank you all. Helen

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello helpatpol, it's nice to meet you and I am glad you have found us. What 'flavour' of arthritis is your companion and what meds are you taking? I have PsA (for the past fifteen or so years) and that has led to OA damage in my knees and ankles, which is rough at times. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • helpatpol
    helpatpol Member Posts: 22
    Options
    RA affecting many joints randomly all over the place. I was initially prescribed methotrexate but after doing some research on it - mainly the side effects I did not take it. My consultant suggested sulfasalazine which I took and I have had no side effects but no improvement either. I have had a couple of steroid injections into various bits of me which are like a miracle cure but as you will know do not last - for me about 4 months. During that time I am back to normal ish so loose my resolve to take the methotrexate. I am seeing the consultant tomorrow and I know she will again want me to take it. I guess I will just have to give it a go but it sounds so toxic!
    Thanks Dreamdaisy
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I began with sulphasalzine (all that does for me is keep my skin clear of psoriasis, it has never once touched the arthritis), and over the years I've tried a number of meds. None have worked as I would wish (probably because I went undiagnosed for some years so it all got a proper hold on me!) but the latest combination is at least controlling the PsA. They don't do anything for the OA but then of course they wouldn't.

The sooner that meth etc are introduced the sooner they can get to work and that means they may reduce the potential joint damage. I am currently on injected meth, along with other meds, I am well-monitored and have very little trouble in the way of side-effects, namely very rare bouts of nausea and occasionally tiredness the day after injecting, that's it. RA is a tough disease and it needs tough meds to combat it. Many people are reluctant to begin these drugs but when they find a positive difference in their situation they soon begin to lose their reservations about them. It's not an easy decision though, far from it. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben