Will You be Watching the Opening Ceremony?

2»

Comments

• salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Ah well! Yes, all kinds of problems and I wasn't thrilled about winning the bid but am loving it now it's here.
  • salamander
    Sticky, this is for you - pretty much sums up my view and you might be interested
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jul/29/olympics-opening-ceremony-stratford-boyle
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I'm not denying it was spectacular but the rose-tinted glasses aspect was a tad over-blown to say the least. There is going to be a large debt at the end of this (there is after every Olympics) and guess who'll be paying that off? The tickets admittedly range in price but the difficulty of getting those is ridiculous. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • salamander
    I agree about the tickets but why not get into the spirit of it DD
    We've got it, it's here, so may as well enjoy it. Lots of stuff going on for free around the country. I would have gone down to the Mall to support the women's cyclists yesterday except it was chucking it down.

Don't think the coverage was over blown. Never wanted to sit through 3 hours of ceremony before but didn't want to leave my seat in case I missed something. It was a triumph - we can't complete with the rigidness of China so why not celebrate our own personality? I felt proud to be British.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    salamander wrote:
    Sticky, this is for you - pretty much sums up my view and you might be interested
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jul/29/olympics-opening-ceremony-stratford-boyle

Thanks, Salamander. I have read the article and I can understand the views expressed. I just don't share them.

I actually did watch the opening ceremony as, by then, our BBQ guests had all retreated to the warmth of the house and some wanted to watch. I found bits interesting, bits muddled, bits boring and bits just strange. Would I have paid to watch it? Definitely not.

I used to love the Olympics until it reached the stage where, instead of applauding someone's feats, one began instead to wonder what new illegal substance they were using.

Maybe it all looks different from a London perspective but I'll be sticking with my cricket and rugby league whenever they're on.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • salamander
    I'm with you on the rugby but not so keen on the cricket!

I have a couple of friends who are volunteering and they were at the rehearsals of the ceremony and said the atmosphere was incredible. That's a pretty good reason to go to anything.

We can differ on views for sure and it certainly feels very exciting in London. I saw the sky lighting up from the fireworks and I'm five miles away from the venue. Sounded amazing too. You could here it on the tv and outside - stereophonic booms!

I know lots of people don't enjoy the olympics but I do and am loving it!