Depressed

angilee
angilee Member Posts: 102
edited 31. Jul 2012, 12:00 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi Everyone,
Not been on the forum for a while...I have OA in both hips and knee....fingers and thumbs...and I think in my low back too...and also I think it is starting in my ankles.
My doctor is sending me for physiotherapy for the back pain...although it has not been diagnosed as spinal arthritis....how does the physiotherapist know how to treat me if they dont know for sure what is wrong? I am getting tired with the whole lot of it...trying to work full time through the pain is getting too much for me...I dont have time to look after myself properly and I am not coping too well at all. My partner cannot afford to pay for our mortgage and all the bills by himself....but I dont know how much longer I can carry on like this.
Sorry for the negativity.....I am tired out with it all and dont know where else to turn for support.
Angilee

Comments

• woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi,
    I can understand why you feel so depressed as I have been there myself. Firstly, if you are't coping with work, perhaps your GP could sign you off for a while? It doesn't have to mean forever, just a few weeks to see how things go.

The next thing is physio and I know it seems weird going to see them when you haven't got a diagnosis, but its quite common. The physio will be able to examin you and give you and the doctor more information about the problem. They can also refer you or advise your doctor to refer you for any tests or rhematologist appointments you may need. The exercises they may give you will help keep your body from getting stiff. If any exercises they give you cause you too much pain, they will ajust or change them.

Depression is part of most arthritic conditions and can be a symptom. Have you discussed it with you GP? I've had CBT therapy with a psycologist and that has helped a bit and their are other 'talking'therapies that suit some people better and your GP can prescribe anti-depressants if he thinks they will help. Some of the drugs used to help arthritis are anti-depressants so it may help 2 things at once! Try and get as much rest and relaxation as possible. I know its easy to say but not to do, but don't look into the future and see all the problems that may never happen, if you can, my husband would laugh reading me saying this as I'm often worried and down! I hope this might give you some help, you'r far from alone! :wink: Love Suexxxxx
    PS Try the helpline here, they have lots of good informaion. 8)
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    hi any one would struggle with working full time i only do 4 hours a day and that more than enough so well done you on managing to do what you have it does sound like you are ready for a rest and you need to talk to doc about the depression as already been said it goes hand in hand with arthiritis are you sleeping ??? good luck do not be to hard on your self you are doing great copeing but it time to ask for more help val
    val
  • Heather65
    Heather65 Member Posts: 262
    Hi angilee,
    welcome back im quite new on here joined this year ,i know how you feel ive a problem with my neck and it does get me down ,i work full time nights cleaning and its hard work ,my oh is not working at the mo due to bad knees so mine is the only income ,we have two kids at home so i need to work
    It all gets a bit much sometimes and i just want to give up ,i know my neck will never get better only worse but i keep going .
    My doc is very good you should try going back to yours ,
    Heather65
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Awww Angilee,
    Lots of love, it sounds like you are trooping on through a huge amount of hard times even if you don't feel like you are so please could you give yourself a pat on the back from me for keeping going?!

It's like a whirlpool - arthritis causes pain, causes struggles, causes a lack of confidence, causes not being able to see woods for trees, causes more problems, causes lack of energy, causes a feeling of falling down. Well we are all here to try help hold you up. No wonder you are tired of it all and feeling low, you must feel like you are climbing a mountain and never getting to the top (I write this from being in a similar place numerous times).

You need help gaining some control. We can help you do that in your head and feel less helpless or alone. A physio doesn't need a definitive diagnosis, they will work with you as an individual to get things moving and forward. Often they will help you strengthen muscles etc around a joint so no matter how the joint has been diagnosed or not diagnosed, they will work with helping you manage pain and move more freely. Give it a try, be honest about what hurts and where and listen. I have always found my physios to be fantastic and helpful and I really hope you do too.

Sending you lots of love and admiration for keeping carrying on.

LV xx
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Angilee,
    Firstly I can sympathise as I have OA in a lot of weight bearing joints and my spine has recently joined in.
    Try and be honest with yourself but don't beat yourself up at the same time. Be honest and candid with your GP - I agree it sounds as if you need a rest from work even if it's just a couple of weeks. Can you adapt your hours at work or reduce them a little, what about working from home - is that possible?
    Have you told your employer about your health situation? It sounds to me as if you'd be covered under the Equality Act and as employers they have a duty of care towards you once you tell them what's going on.
    When you go to your physio dept, try taking a brief list with you of the things you struggle with; what causes you pain in which joint etc. BUT - don't spend too long reading it through - write it out, and then put it with your appt card (or whatever you have).
    Keep posting on here.
    Keep positive; celebrate what you can do - forget what you can't. You have a partner who I imagine loves you to bits. Break tasks down into manageable chunks; do practical things like getting a stool for sitting on when cooking and ironing.
    Think like a woman would (sorry chaps - don't mean to be derogatory by any means!) - be practical.
    Lastly, go for the 'Grace's prescription' - a bottle of wine (or tea/coffee - whatever's your taste); a huge, huge bar of your favourite chocolate and a warm bath. Chocolate when eaten due to pain is not only sugar free but also calorie free (bet you didn't know that did you?).
    Take care, if I can help in any way please PM me.
    GraceB

P.S. I was at secondary school with an Angilee - and have always thought it to be a lovely name.
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • Ryedaledigger
    Ryedaledigger Member Posts: 24
    Hi
    I thinks you have done really well to cope so far. I have the same issues as you. I kept working full time as well as caring for my partner. I had help from the local carers organisation with my partner and as I became so ill I had to go P/T and claim Working Tax Credit and DLA mobility. I ending up working 16 to 20 hours per week and with the benefits helping with the money side I also found that the presure was off and I had more time to look after me for once. This was all done via the carers advisor completing the paperwork, claim forms and offering great emotional support. Try and have a look at carersuk.org. This is a very helpful site and I have recommended my local one to lots of people. Things have now changed for us, my partner now cares for ME! and I have had to give up work and retire early. Give them a try it cost nowt. good luck and keep surviving. TTFN
  • angilee
    angilee Member Posts: 102
    Hi,
    I just wanted to say Thank you to you all for your kind replies and information.