Cryotherapy - Does it work?

Richard09
Richard09 Member Posts: 4
edited 31. Jul 2012, 04:55 in Living with Arthritis archive
Has anyone had any experience trying or using cryotherapy? Does it work?

There was an interesting article in the Daily Mail recently: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2177927/Can-standing-deep-freeze-ease-arthritis-Just-minutes-ice-chamber-feel-years-younger-says-sufferer.html

I'd be interested to know if anyone had any thought, expertise or experience with this?

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I have no experience or expertise but I do have some thoughts, the main one being who knows if it works? Everyone is different in what helps and for how long - and help doesn't mean the problem disappears never to return.

I think we just have to keep on trying different things. Over the years prior to diagnosis I tried acupuncture and went to a homeopathist, after diagnosis I tried diet, vinegar, magnet therapy, had hydrotherapy, physiotherapy and taken most of the meds and yet I am still deteriorating. Arthritis is the ground elder of illnesses. No matter how many times or ways you try to tackle it, it keeps coming back. I have psoriatic arthritis and the joint damage that has caused has led to OA in my knees and ankles. What flavour of arthritis ails thee, Richard09?
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Many people use ice packs to help with inflammation so it might work but, I'd guess, only temporarily. Sportsmen certainly use ice baths after matches. The most this would do for arthritis, though, is ease the pain. It's not a cure and I read that, statistically, there weren't enough people trialling it for it to be recognised as valid. If you can afford it, give it a whirl, Richard. Like DD, my days of rainbow-chasing are over. I stick to meds and surgery now.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Richard09
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I was just wondering if anyone had any first hand experience. I guess you're point "who knows if it works" is as good a response as anything. It clearly worked for the lady in that article.

Even if it does only work for a short period its surely worth the plunge, thanks for your advice.
  • Richard09
    p.s. my flavour is rheumatoid :lol: