Anyone had facet joint injections?

suzygirl
suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
edited 2. Aug 2012, 13:52 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all, I am due to have facet joint injections into my sacroilliac joint either side in a few weeks. Have any of you had this? What were your experiences? Did it work for you? Or make it worse?

Any thoughts welcomed. I have never asked for pocket duties before but I definitely will be for this one, if thats ok.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I'm sure someone mentioned these recently, Suzygirl. Bumping it up in the hope that they'll see it.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • suzygirl
    Thanks Sticky I thought maybe Skezier had them or vwcamper? I hope they see it. Maybe I could do a search if I figure out how to do it. :lol:
  • DebraKelly
    DebraKelly Member Posts: 398
    Hi Suzygirl.

I have not had a facet joint injection, however I have had a steriod injection into my knee twice and one recently into my bum! :oops: They do provide relief for a period of time, usually the knee injection for me lasted a couple of months but each person is different.

The knee injections are usually over fairly quickly with a bit discomfort but nothing to worry about.

Make sure you rest afterwards.
  • frogmella
    frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
    Hi!

I am new to the forum but I have had FJ injections.

I had them under a light general, I think I am lucky because from what I read a lot of people have them awake. My surgeon did it under x-ray guidance. So I walked into the OR (wierd) where there were about 15 people! I had to climb onto the bed and then the surgeon started doing x rays and drawing on my back. Then I got the happy juice and went to sleep!

When I woke up, only 10 mins later, my back hurt like a really bad flare up. But I think the leg pain was a bit less. I was very stiff and the car journey home was unpleasant. I hadn't taken any painkillers with me (doh!) and there was an accident on the motorway so instead of being a 45 min journey it took two hours.

But when I got home I took all my usual meds - amitriptyline, paracetamol and naprosyn and went to bed!

Next day the leg pain was about the same and my back was really sore :(

By day three leg pain was gone!!! The back pain went about a week or so post injection. My surgeon recomends taking a few days off afterwards - I would recomend it too!

After about 6 weeks I started to get some back pain again, and I have been getting more and more as the weeks have gone on. It is certainly not as bad as before the injections (yet!).

I started PT 4 weeks post injection to sort out a lot of muscle weaknesses and tightness. I am pushing myself as far as exercise goes too - I swim a lot and am going faster and further than I have managed in a long time. I am now about 9 or 10 weeks out I think and still feel better than pre-injection.

I do have limitations though, I am tired still and often end up having a kip in the afternoons! I do get up early to swim though so I guess that its ok! I can't do gardening, hoovering etc and still struggle to sit for too long.

I am a teacher and, due to complications with my back, I ended up being off sick for the whole of the last academic year. I am not sure how much of this rehab I would be managing if I had to work at the same time (summer hols, phew!). I think I will end up doing less exercise once I go back in 5 weeks. :( That is why I am pushing things now. My GP thinks that the stronger I can get the better it will be in the future.

I would certainly have the injections again. They have given me a big chunk of my life back, even if it only lasts for a couple of months I think it was worth it.

I wish you good luck, and if I haven't answered anything let me know.
  • suzygirl
    Hi Frogmella, welcome to the forum and thank you very much for your input. You have given me exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I am having them awake though :shock: But I will up my pain killers, so thanks for the advice!

I wondered if I would need to rest after. I have had shoulder and hip injections before, but not my back. It is encouraging to know that you got some relief from them. I am so hoping for the same! He said they would be done under x ray, and that it may hurt a little during and after. Bit nervous but focusing on the end result. :D

Thanks again for the excellent info. Let me know if I can help you in any way.

Take care
  • DebraKelly
    DebraKelly Member Posts: 398
    Once you get the first one out of the way you will be fine and at least you will know what to expect next time.

I was terrified the first time I went for a steriod injection into my knee, but I was honestly worrying about nothing.

Hope you get on ok.
  • suzygirl
    Thanks. I was fortunate the first time I had a steroid injection into a joint. I didn't have time to think about it, as the doctor injected my shoulder and hip there and then.

This one will be done under x ray, and it will affect the nerves in my legs for a short time as they are irritated by disk problems already. So itis not as straight forward as my previous injections.
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi Suzy

I have had injections via xray direction, sedated so knew nothing about it, and the injections to get rid of sciatica so far have been fantastic and I have been Sciatica FREE since 9 December 2009 :D

Also had good result of having much less pain from shoulder after having similar injections at that site. Not such good luck this time round because he injected in my shoulder blade as I have had a spinal op, neck end, recently and the surgeon suggested against injections at that site at that time. I do have more strength in the arm and perhaps less pain but not as good as the first time round.

I hope all goes well for you :)

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi Suzy
    I had 3 done last year with no sedation or anything, I am due more when my appointment comes through, I will be honest with you and say ask for sedation, it might mean you are kept back a little longer, but I couldnt go through it again without.
    The day after was very sort of a bad ache, and it lasted all day, but the second day was fine, they did work a little bit, but they tell me the second time works much better...I do hope so.
    I know that some of the people that where there when I had mine done, and had them once or twice a year, and they couldnt live without them
    So I do wish you well and hope you get loads of relief.xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • suzygirl
    Hi Elna and Barbara, thanks for your input. I appreciate knowing that others have had the procedure and found it beneficial. Right now I am in agony due to the poking and prodding from yesterday. It is making me a little apprehensive about the injections. Trying to see the bigger picture.

I will ask about the sedation but it wasn't offered to me as an option.

Thanks both.
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Just seen this, sorry :oops:
    I had them done last year and had the knees injected with steroids at the same time :shock:
    I was wide awake with just some local anaesthetic it wasn't pleasant but I have had worse.. Especially the radio therapy I just had recently to kill of the very same nerves as the previous things had only helped for a short while.. I would say give it a go though as it could just work wonders for you hun :D
    Wishing you the very very best
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • suzygirl
    Thanks Tony, it does help toknow others have had it done and it helped them. No pain no gain! :D
  • jilly
    jilly Member Posts: 503
    Hi I had facet joint neck and shoulder injections for 18 months every 3 months . In the beginning i found they really helped and lasted a couple of months but as time went by they lasted shorter and in the end i gave up having them because i got no benefit at all .
    I must say that when they did work I really loved it and thought the discomfort of having them well worth it . I would have them again if they worked for me . I wasnt offered any sedation at my local hospital and dont know anyone around my area getting it . It sounds a good idea if you can get it .
    I also had them under xray. I think everyone worries but it is soon over and you could get a lot of help from them . I hope it works well for you .....jillyx
  • suzygirl
    Thanks very much Jilly. You are all encouraging me to give it ago andnot chicken out. My back is still very sore, the doc poked me with the endof the stick they use to tap your reflexes :shock: my back did not appreciate that :lol:
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    having the nerves burnt with the radio frequency thing I had done has worked great. Was very painful at the time, I think they hadn't used enough local anaesthetic.. It's not really meant to hurt much.. Anyway, the pain I've had since around 1994ish has gone... I still get back ache and sometimes I know it's hurting but can't feel it, if that makes any sense? Lol

Very best of luck hun :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • suzygirl
    Tony, thanks for letting me know about this procedure. The consultant did say that the injections were the start of my treatment, and that it would be a long road.

So maybe that treatment is down the line for me. I think you have suffered for a long time. Mine started when my youngest son was 3, he is 14 now and thats long enough :shock:

Glad you have finally got some relief from something. :D