Son has got his first part time job (benefit related quest)

justinbarrow
justinbarrow Member Posts: 338
Don`t know if this is the right place but thought there may be some people here that have had to deal with this. Our son got his first time job working 6 hours a week at £4.98 per hour (min wage for 18-21 year old) paying just under £30 per week (£119.52 a month) and doesn't start until mid next month but would like to know if this have an effect on my income support for myself and my partner. He is studying full time at college and is using this part time job to help fund driving lessons.

Just trying my best to get prepared for what to expect when the time comes to inform of a "change of circumstances" surely they wont stop everything as I am worried about my free prescription entitlement with being on a lot of meds.

Thanks in advance for any help on this. :)

Comments

• tuppie
    tuppie Member Posts: 16
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    If you get housing benefit / council tax benefit you need to inform them as your son may have a non dependant deduction taken out of your award but it would depend on income,can't help with the income support part sorry,.
  • tuppie
    tuppie Member Posts: 16
    update for you , your income support wont be effected by son working and your Housing benefit and Council tax benefit if you receive this wont change till he turns 18...

hope that helps?
  • justinbarrow
    Thanks for the reply - He is just over 18 years of age now so might affect things. Going to speak to citizens advice about it tomorrow to see what is likely to happen. Will keep you posted.
  • justinbarrow
    Update...If he stays in full time education it wont effect anything as long as he does not go over 16 hours. However it will start to effect income support once he leaves full time education next year and also child benefit will cease from then also.

Just thought I would give an update encase anyone else is in a similar situation.