21 month old with Polyarticular JIA

trish123
trish123 Member Posts: 14
edited 16. Aug 2012, 16:25 in My child has arthritis
Hi. My little girl was diagnosed with Oligarticular JIA at 18 months but just 3 months later she has 7 joints affected:
left ankle
Left knee
Left wrist
Right ankle
Right hip
Right wrist
Right index finger

So obviously she's now being treated for polyarticular JIA. Been at the hospital yesterday, today and tomorrow for steroids by IV (methylprednisolone) and another 3 sessions next week and has had her first injection of methotrexate.

We have been recommended to purchase a Buzzy from buzzy4you to help ease the needle pain and anxiety levels as she's now on the injections once a week for at least a year. Has anyone else purchased one and had success?

It would also be nice to hear some success stories in relation to the methotrexate - worried it's not going to get hold of this horrible disease!x

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello trish123. I'm sorry, as a grandmother I can't help with the Buzzy as I've never heard of it but I can tell you that methotrexate has controlled my own RA well for about 12 years and I do hope it does the same for your little one.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Hi Trishaws,

I can't help with the buzzy but methotrexate made a massive difference to me and gave me freedom again. I dearly hope it works for your little girl.

Big hugs and lots of love to you all

LVxx
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • iluvhobbits
    iluvhobbits Member Posts: 32
    Hi,
    I am so sorry to read your post you must be devastated, I hope things are starting to improve with the treatment.
    I have a 14 year old daughter who has has JIA for 13 years, effecting her knee and ankle joints. She has been really well for the past 18 months, her JIA being controlled by a 17.5mg Methotrexate injection once a week. I purchased a 'Buzzy' about 6 months ago and I would say initially we had very good results. I think it is definitley worth a try, we have tried the numbing cream and the freeze spray which were all supplied by the hospital, I just think it is worth having a few options as I have found varying the type used does seem to help. My daughter seems to go through fazes of what she prefers but perhaps that is just what teenagers are like!
    Keep us posted how you get on.
    All the best,
    Sandra
  • Niknak
    Niknak Member Posts: 44
    Sending big hugs to both you and your little one, I'm so sorry to hear your news. My little girl who is now four has this awful illness too, it began when she was two and a half, she had 5 joints affected and now reduced to two, she was originally on oral methotrexate but it has now been moved to injected only recently hoping that it will have better results : like your little one my daughter also had to have steroids when she has had flares. But always takes the predisanole orally never via drip: he has also had joint injections. I am in the same position as you really, hoping injectable methotrexate controls the illness, as it was not the miracle I had hoped for when originally taken six months ago orally. The idea being injecting it goes directly into the system therefore has a better chance. I have heard many people say it is marvellous and I really hope it works for your little un and mine also. I must say the predisanole always works wonders for nic. I hate Arthiritus it makes me insane especially as it is my daughter effected. I know exactly how you feel and I am always here to talk and offer support . Wishing your daughter a speedy recovery. Much love chrissy xxx