hi recent diagnosis of RA

thegrumbler
thegrumbler Member Posts: 2
edited 11. Aug 2012, 15:12 in Say Hello Archive
Hi everyone,

Just recently been diagnosed with RA - it is so frustrating as I cannot do the things in life that I am used to, even putting on my shoes hurts my hands and going down stairs is a nightmare.

Does it help a lot when you start getting proper hospital treatment?

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Yes, it does. Hello and welcome to the forum. I've had RA for many years and having the right meds makes a huge difference. What are you taking, the grumber, and for how long? They can take a while to kick in. Starirs are usually best taken one at a time and, in the case of going down, backwards (worst leg first). Have a look at our 'Simple Ideas...' thread near the top on the Living With Arthritis forum. You'll find lots of tips which may help. And, if you want a grumble, or have any questions, LWA is a good place to be. Chit Chat is where we have a bit of fun.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello thegrumbler (I love the name!) it's lovely to meet you and I am pleased you have found us. I hope you will soon be starting something to help because I firmly believe the earlier you can begin the meds the better the outcome may be. I went undiagnosed and untreated for a good few years so I don't have much in the way of a positive experience of the meds but for those who find the combination that suits, well, the results can be very encouraging. I wish you well and I look forward to seeing your name here and there on the forum. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • friarygirl
    friarygirl Member Posts: 36
    hi, welcome. I am fairly new here myself and people have been supportive and welcoming [ see my post a few beneath yours] one tiny step at a time and insist on the best care they can offer you- hospital appts are hard sometimes they dont have the magic answers we would love them to give us. dont give up and stay around here with questions and chat to carry you through day to day pain and so on and on the good days you will hopefully be here for the ones having a day of bad pain etc too. chat soon. FG
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi
    And a very warm welcome to the forum, you will get lots of information... and people to talk to that understand some of what you are going through.
    You take care x
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi there Grumbler

Lovely to meet you although I am so sorry you are suffering so much just now.

The whole idea of our meds is to get the symptoms under control as much as poss so yes it really should help. They will give you DMARD (disease modifying anti-rheumatic drug) to try to knock it back and can prescribe better pain relief for you and other stuff too if needed.

Downstairs is so much harder than up isn't it? :roll:

Please do come on in and join in - support, tips and distraction will help you feel so much more in control. All of the above available on here :)

Love

Toni xxx