Hello - Joined tonight. I have Psoriatic Arthritis

Options
Catage29
Catage29 Member Posts: 9
edited 22. Aug 2012, 09:57 in Say Hello Archive
Hello everyone :)
I randomly decided tonight I wanted to fins a forum for people with Arthritis... so here I am.

I am 29 now but was diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis when I was 17. I would love to hear from anyone who has the same type of Arthritis as me or who is of a similar age.

Sometimes I feel like people (mainly some friends) don't really understand what it's like to live with Arthritis, especially the tiredness!

Would love to hear from anyone :0)

Catherine. X

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello, I have PsA (it wasn't diagnosed for nine years and went untreated for five) and the resulting joint damage has led to OA in my knees and ankles. I am older than you (I am sorry about that!) but, like everyone else on here, I know all too well the realities and difficulties of coping with this disease. I'm on meth, humira and sulph for the PsA, what are you taking? Tiredness is a constant theme on here and yes, those who don't have arthritis do struggle with understanding how it can affect one. I look forward to seeing your name here and there, and I also wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Catage29
    Catage29 Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Hey DD

Thank you for your message :0)

I'm on Methotrexate (hate it!!), and Humira too!! I sometimes take Celebrex if I need to but I've been trying to ween myself off of it.

Gosh they took a while to diagnose you!! Poor you. It took them about a year to diagnose me I guess. By that time I got a diagnoses I was unable to walk on my foot at all... was sort of walking on the side of it. The x-rays showed that I have bones missing in my foot where the Arthritis ate through it. Yuck.

Every now and again I have a flair up. Do you? I'm (touch wood) OK at the mo but if I get stressed it's terrible. I at one point couldn't turn the shower on and got stuck in the bath it was so bad. And I live on my own. In the end I just ended up laughing. What else can you do?!!

I pick up a lot of bugs nd I'm off sick loads at work. My boss actually told me I can only be ill on Friday's... my day off!!!! I couldn't believe my ears! Do you pick up bugs with it?

Chat soon hopefully,

Catherine.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options
    Hi Catherine

well that was a good 'random' thing to do :wink:

I have inflammatory arthritis not PsA, but treated very similarly so can totally empathise with you. I also have some OA in my back and neck, having had surgery on my back in the past.

I get flares too where things are really awful and even a sheet on my joints can hurt, I get a temperature and and too tired to stay awake.

I think your attitude is really great and positive! Laughing is a good medicine :wink:

I look forward to seeing you post on some of our other forums. Take a look around as see which and just join in :D

Love

Toni xxx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Catherine
    Its lovely to meet you and welcome to the forum
    Sorry I cant help, but you will get lots of support on here , and its amazing how good people are at coming forward with answers.
    You take care and I hope to see you posting more very soon xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello again. My meth, humira and sulph are pretty much controlling the PsA (inasmuch as my inflammatory markers are consistently less than five) but it took a good few years to get to this point and the joint damage is already done. I am reliant on crutches and have recently graduated to a rollator to help me get around better and for longer. I am waiting for new knees (I have another two years at least to go), mine are bone-on-bone through about 3/4 of both knees but I have to be 55 before I'm considered for replacements. I haven't had a flare for a while but they do crop up every now and again despite the meds. As for bugs, well, I work as a private tutor for dyslexics and am assiduous about applying hand gel to me and the clients, and I have anti-bacterial wipes for surfaces and equipment. I wash my hands as soon as I come in from the shops etc and if I do go down with something I stop the meth and humira so that my immune system can fire up to help me get better. That is what my rheumatology department have told me to do and I obey. :)

I was on Celebrex but my GP at the time took me off that due to the cost to him. :roll: I then phannied around with Naproxen for a while but that didn't help, so my current GP prescribed diclofenac and that has proved to be good. I take a stomach protector too when I take a short course of that. The two constants in my life are a lack of energy and pain but I am used to that and 'budget' my life accordingly! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben