I Dislike this Bank Holiday.

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 27. Aug 2012, 04:41 in Community Chit-chat archive
I always have and I guess I always will. In my younger days, when the fact that it was summer meant unbridled asthma and hay fever, I still felt more than a twinge of regret that the nights would now be drawing in. As I grow older I feel this even more keenly. This week-end is the 'semi-official' end of the lazy summer days, soon it's back-to-school, back to a routine of early waking and darker mornings, yuk-yuk-yukkety-yuk. :(

On the plus side however (and trust me, there is one :wink: ) the clocks don't go back for another two months or so then they go forward within five months so it's not actually that bad. There will be the 'fun' of Hallowe'en, Bonfire Night followed by the twinkle that is Christmas but then, on 22nd December, it all starts to improve. I'll be holding out for that, how about you? DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• marrianne
    marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I dont mind the nights drawing in DD,I like crisps cold days with that bright sunshine ,sometimes the heat just wacks me out especially when its humid also my joints swell more in the heat Marrianne :)
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    do not mind the end of summer but this rain and storms are a bit much for august val
    val
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    I don't like the dark nights and dark mornings, I don't like wet muddy autumn. The only thing I like about winter is Christmas. I love spring, it's so fresh and full of hope and promise, and I love summer.('though not so much this summer). :?
    But of course we just have to make the most of it. :D
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Bank holidays aren't the same when you don't work,one weekend is much like any other .Mig
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    I'm certainly looking forward to this one. I feel as if I've been on the go for weeks but now have 2 days where I have the choice to do nothing. I'll deal with the cold dark days when they get here. Not worrying about them yet. Just hope we get a bit more sun first.
    Christine
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    When I was teaching full-time, I used to dread this bank holiday because I used to get that sinking feeling that the Summer holiday was nearly at an end, and soon it would be back to work. The last week of the holiday was usually spent in school anyway, preparing for the new class which would be arriving, attending staff meetings etc. I would be reading through all the records of the children who would make up my class, and wondering how we would get on together. As a primary school teacher, I was with the same group of children every day for the whole year, so I tried to think of them as my extended family. Once the term began, that sinking feeling soon disappeared as I got to know the children.

Now history is repeating itself : I'm looking after my three grandchildren all next week to allow my daughter the time to go into the school where she teaches to prepare for the new school year. I'm just glad it's her and not me now :D
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    Holiday? I'm working tomorrow - banging out another fit as a
    fiddle telephone conference call. Maybe some of you will be there.
  • frogmella
    frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
    I don't like this one either, the school I teach at goes always goes back the wednesday after it. :( This year I am going back after being off because of my back for the whole of last year. :cry: Really nervous, gulp!