Rheumy Appointment Friday

emsjane
emsjane Member Posts: 351
edited 29. Aug 2012, 11:42 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi All,

Sorry i haven't been on for a while. As always, my arthritis is much better during the summer months and i try to make the most of it! :)

I have my long awaited Rheumy appointment on Friday and i have lots i want to talk to her about.

Mainly, the fact that the Methotrexate isn't making any difference, i don't think. I know i have been better over the summer, but i had such a bad winter just gone and my joints got a lot worse and new ones joined in too! The weather has been wet and cooler lately and i can already feel things getting worse and more painful and stiff again! So as you can imagine im dreading the winter.

I want to come off of the Meth really as it is such a strong drug with nasty side effects, but im also nervous about what other drugs she would want me to try!!

For those of you that don't know, i have a type of Erosive Inflammatory OA not RA. I was just wondering if anyone else has been on MTX and it didn't work and what the docs put you on next????

Also, my left hip has definitely got worse this year and im going to talk to her about a hip replacement, i want her to record on my records that im asking for a hip replacement as soon as they think right time. Do you think i should insist on another xray of my hip to see how much worse its got????

Any advise would be appreciated, i don't want to waste this precious appointment with the Rheumy!!

LOVE EMMA X

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    It's lovely to hear that your arthritis has been better over the summer, that must be pleasant and it's a shame it doesn't last, yes? I'm not surprised to read that the meth is not helping your erosive inflammatory OA as OA does not have the same root cause as an auto-immune arthritis and can feel a deal worse in low pressure weather. The meth etc I take does help to subdue my PsA but does nothing for the OA and my rheumatologist does not even bother to ask about the OA, likewise my GP about the PsA. It's great having a foot in both camps. :wink: Mind you, we are all different in what helps or not and I have learned over the years not to expect too much from the meds as, truth be told, none of them do what I would like. How likely is it that you are a sero-negative inflammatory type? Have you had blood tests? My gut feeling is that I should remember but I'm sorry, I don't. :oops: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    There's no need to apologise, emsjane. You have been better and have been making the most of that. Surely that's the best thing to do?

I'm afraid I've no real understanding of your brand of arthritis. Mine's RA with a side helping of OA. I guess all you can do is be guided by your rheumatologist but, although everyone fears the strong meds at first, if they help keep stuff at bay, they're worth it in my opinion. I've been on meth for over 10 years with no significant problems. As/when/if it stops working for me I'll move on to something else. That's how it is I'm afraid.

I've never insisted on an x-ray. In fact, I've never even asked for one. I think it's best to work with the docs rather than tell them how to do their job though I admit I've always had good ones.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • emsjane
    Thank you both for taking the time to reply to me.

I was told i have sero-negative inflammatory OA, but i just felt that's what they call all the arthritis that isn't RA or any other type!

I had an ultrasound on my fingers and cos she found a tiny bit of inflammation they decided i might benefit from RA drugs, but im just not convinced myself.

I don't really understand all the different types of Arthritis and what triggers them. But im assuming mine must be an auto-immune type as why would so many of my joints be affected if it was just OA!? So something more must be going on!

Its just so frustrating cos i feel like there isn't anything they can do to help stop the disease progressing with my type of arthritis! :(
    LOVE EMMA X
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I'd assume nothing, emsjane. I've tried to find some info on your type of arthritis on this website and I can't. In your situation, I'd put these questions to the rheumatologist ie Is it auto-immune? Can OA affect lots of joints? (I think the answer to that is 'yes' but better to hear it from the horse's mouth.)

If it is an auto-immune type then you will need DMARDS or anti-tnfs or some such. There's no getting away from them. If it isn't....well, there's another question for your rheumatologist :roll:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Good luck for your appointment will be tagging along.Mig
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    I hope your appointment goes well on friday and that you get the answers to your questions.

Love Juliepf x
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Hope the appointment goes well. Keep asking questions- I think sometimes the consultants assume we know stuff we don't, or we won't understand if they explain. I do think that knowledge helps us get to grips with our struggles.
    Take care.

Deb x
  • emsjane
    Thank you everyone! Your support means a lot to me! So lovely to have a place to come where you know everyone understands your struggles!! ;) x
    LOVE EMMA X