Reassured

JuliaHod12
JuliaHod12 Member Posts: 456
edited 30. Aug 2012, 04:27 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi guys

Just a quick update following my physio session today (5 weeks post TKR)

Bend is fine at 105%, straightening still needs work and i have been reassured this is quite normal for this stage in the recovery process.
I have a few new exercises to fit into my routine, these lying on my front, and some using a "wobble board" for balance.
The aim should be to improve gradually and not see it as a race.

The physio said to shift my focus from the length of time post op to the bigger picture and the total recovery which is typically 12 to 18 months due to the complexity of the surgery and the nature of the joint replaced.
With all that in mind, i think i am doing ok and have progressed to no sticks indoors, and just one outside! :-)

I am now allowed to use family indoor pool for light exercise, but not use the gym until after 6wk check with surgeon next week.

I hope all you other post TKR patients are behaving yourselves: Helen, Marianne, Steve, Pegleg

and for Elainebadknee........you will get there lovely, best of luck xxx

Comments

• Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    That sounds really good, well done you.
    All the best ,
    Numpty
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    It sounds as if things are going really well for you and that's great. I hope the new exercises will help too. Slow, steady progress will get you there. Thanks for the good news.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Helenbothknees
    Helenbothknees Member Posts: 487
    That's great news Julia.

Let's all the new knees have a reunion meet-up in 18 months time and do the things 'normal' people do...like go for a walk for fun; remember that? :D
  • Soretoe2
    Soretoe2 Member Posts: 198
    Hi Julia, It's really nice to hear some good news for once. Long may it continue, gives us all a bit of hope I reckon. Joy
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Thats great news julia :D

Keep up your food work. :wink:

Love Juliepf x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Well done, it's all going in the right direction for you and that is a very good thing. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Julia that is good news, you keep up the good work...must say the wobble board sound scary...you be careful.... :)
    Love
    Barbara
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Julia

It sounds as if everything is going in the right direction and the straightness will come with more exercises and time....The wobble board sounds hellish i know what they are and they are hard just ordinanary arent they?
    Is that what they say 12-18months recovery? I didnt know that thought it was six months, had hoped to get into job market after my surgery which extimate to be maybe next April or so?No sticks is great and the indoor pool sounds a welcome exercise....

Thanks for mentioning me below....

Elainex
    JuliaHod12 wrote:
    Hi guys

Just a quick update following my physio session today (5 weeks post TKR)

Bend is fine at 105%, straightening still needs work and i have been reassured this is quite normal for this stage in the recovery process.
    I have a few new exercises to fit into my routine, these lying on my front, and some using a "wobble board" for balance.
    The aim should be to improve gradually and not see it as a race.

The physio said to shift my focus from the length of time post op to the bigger picture and the total recovery which is typically 12 to 18 months due to the complexity of the surgery and the nature of the joint replaced.
    With all that in mind, i think i am doing ok and have progressed to no sticks indoors, and just one outside! :-)

I am now allowed to use family indoor pool for light exercise, but not use the gym until after 6wk check with surgeon next week.

I hope all you other post TKR patients are behaving yourselves: Helen, Marianne, Steve, Pegleg

and for Elainebadknee........you will get there lovely, best of luck xxx
  • Helenbothknees
    Elaine, the estimate of how long recovery takes is a bit like the length of a piece of string! However, what I gather is that it takes 12-18 months to complete recovery. At six months, according to my doc, you'll start being glad you had the op, and will be able to do most things. As for work, it depends what you do/hope to do. My hospital blurb says some people with office jobs can go back to work after six weeks, but warns you that you might be tired. I'm self-employed, and at 7 weeks I still get really exhausted; I couldn't possibly manage a full days' work, although I've been doing a bit - and gradually increasing the hours - since I left hospital; it made me feel more normal. But I seem to need about ten hours sleep a night - now that I can finally sleep again! Manual work they reckon three months or longer. So I don't think next April is unrealistic to aim for, though bear in mind that it could be different for you.
  • marrianne
    marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
    That's great news Julia.

Let's all the new knees have a reunion meet-up in 18 months time and do the things 'normal' people do...like go for a walk for fun; remember that? :D
    Whahe still hast a brilliant idea Helen ,I have been absent for a few days but have read up on you all and YOUR ALL DOING BRILLIANTLY ,I have been poorly with my medication and very tired , the codeine has always given me a strange taste in my mouth but now its longlasting especially in the mornings ,knee sore burning especially in bed ........ bend not very good straight leg ok also little walks ,almost 6 weeks ..........so yes we are all different .......Whats a wobble board ? when I DO KNEE BEND EXERCISE I have a painful pull in the same place as before the operation the soft tissue inner knee I think my leg looks deformed because of my knee but once I sort pain meds out I should feel better wishes to you all and I would love to meet up for that walk Marrianne :)
  • freesia
    freesia Member Posts: 409
    Well done...... great news....x
    hugs freesia xxx
  • pegleg
    pegleg Member Posts: 139
    Your doing really well :D , can you not fall off that wobble board thing ?!, meeting up would be great :D:D xx
  • Helenbothknees
    If everyone still means it in a year we'd better work out where we all live and where we could meet....but we have a year to decide....
  • marrianne
    marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
    night night all the knees and everyone,yes it would be great to meet up Peg Julia Steve Cathbee Helen ,Also we want Eileen to be better by then and Elaine bad knees to be catching up .Apologise any names missed I am very tired Marrianne :) Did Keith have a new knee to ? :)
  • Helenbothknees
    OK, someoen needs to make a note in a diary to start a new thread on here next summer, to arrange a meeting for all new knees (done any time?) in the autumn. Yes?