Options
dachshund
dachshund Member Posts: 8,925
edited 31. Aug 2012, 03:15 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello everyone
i hope you are all having a good day
i saw the express yesterday on the front page was a bit about
arthritis saying about a pen that was invented in america that
the doctor would put it in the place where the pain is it goes under the skin a bit it freezes the nerve that stops the pain.
i'm sorry i did not buy the paper.
take care
joan xx
take care
joan xx

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh, I saw that too but in a different paper, I can't remember what it was called either but the basic premise sounds good, doesn't it? Thank you for the reminder Joan, I shall do some research. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Joan
    Thanks for that, I do like to know about these things...I will go and Google it. xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    There you go Joan...I found it..Cryo-therapy is thought to work by blocking the ability of nerve fibres to transport signals

Cryo-therapy is thought to work by blocking the ability of nerve fibres to transport signals

A type of ‘pen’ that uses super-cold temperatures to stop pain signals could provide relief for thousands of arthritis patients.

The handheld device contains a tiny needle-like tip that is cooled to minus 20c — this is inserted just a few millimetres under the skin against a nerve.

The theory is that the cold temperature makes nerves ‘hibernate’ so that the pain signals are blocked.

The new gadget — which is the size and shape of a pen — could work for a wide range of conditions, say the manufacturers, including headaches, arthritis, facial pain and carpal tunnel syndrome.

Early tests show that the device, which has been approved for use in the UK, gives instant relief.

The therapy can be repeated continually in a GP surgery or pain clinic.

Cold temperatures are increasingly being employed by doctors to treat a range of pain conditions.

The treatment is called cryo-therapy, and is thought to work by blocking the ability of nerve fibres to transport signals.

The conduction of signals along our nerves involves the coordination of a number of complex chemical reactions.

It’s thought that cold temperatures can slow the rate of these reactions, and lead the nerves to become ‘quiet’ and stop sending signals.

This is partly why our hands and feet go numb in cold temperatures (the cold also causes blood vessels in the extremities to shrink, further adding to the numb sensation)

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2194432/How-beat-arthritis-agony-Pen-uses-freezing-temperatures-shock-nerves-blocking-pain.html#ixzz252zrf59c
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options
    Still sounds v interesting to me Joan and Barbara

hopefully we will start to hear of folks using it soon and 'real' people's stories :)

Love

Toni xxx