Heat pad for TKR

pegleg
pegleg Member Posts: 139
edited 31. Aug 2012, 09:40 in Living with Arthritis archive
Just wondered if anyone uses a heat pad on their TKR's , when I have a shower I find the warm water eases it nicely so just wondered if my heat pad would be good for it ?

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi pegleg
    sorry but I just use the heat cushions on my shoulder neck and back, not sure about a TKR, I thought you was suppose to use ice, or is that just to get the swelling down.x
    Love
    Barbara
  • Helenbothknees
    Helenbothknees Member Posts: 487
    Hi pegleg,
    I've never tried either. I still use ice now and then to get swelling down, but like you, I find the warm water in the bath feels lovely. I can't see any harm in trying it, but that's a completely uninformed opinion.
  • pegleg
    Yeah I do ice it , and couldn't use heat on it before my op because it made my arthritus worse , but just wondered if anyone uses heat and ice xx
  • Soretoe2
    Soretoe2 Member Posts: 198
    Hello pegleg,
    You will find me glued to my electric heat pad in all weathers.
    I wrap it round my knees, also my feet when they really play up, tuck it round my shoulders and neck most days, sit on it.... couldn't live without it frankly.
    Ice has never helped me, just makes the pain worse but loads of people swear by it.
    I think I'm on my fourth one, as I have been using them for about 40 years.
    Just thinking about it has made me reach for the plug.... Joy.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Personally I'd be very wary of putting a heat pad on a recent TKR, pegleg. You could try putting it behind the knee but I'd guess that's not where you want it. It's the old maxim - if in doubt ask, I'm afraid.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi Peg

I did a little research on the net and read the following a few times on various post knee op sites:

"Although you have used ice on your knee up to this point, at approximately one week post-op heat is recommended with the use of mild heat using heating pads, hot water bottles, etc. Definitely, do not go into a hot tub for at least two months following your knee replacement. Still continue to use ice on your knee too."

If in doubt ask though, please do not take my word for it but I am sure I remember alternating between icing and a gentle heat after both my knee replacements a few years ago now.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • Helenbothknees
    Thanks elna. I really can't be bothered with putting yet more stuff on my knees, which are beginning to feel much better. However, it's a bit annoying that we're not all told this kind of stuff, but have to find it out here. :cry:
  • pegleg
    Did google it and it did say it was ok to apply heat , yes would be nice if we were told these things though! , a bit like the scar massage , a friend told me about that ! x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello pegleg, I think that ice and heat have different roles. Ice is used to help ease swelling but heat is better for easing the muscles - and surely these are going to be sore after a TKR. I used to wrap a hot water bottle in a towel and use that when heat was required - I would put this under my operated knee as it wouldn't lie flat and the heat would help matters. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Helenbothknees
    DD, I'm sure you're right about the swelling versus muscle thing. I was thinking just the same thing when I came to really think about it. Makes perfect sense. And is probably why I'm so addicted to my hot baths. :D