2012 TKR get-together in summer 2013!

Helenbothknees
Helenbothknees Member Posts: 487
edited 6. Sep 2012, 17:41 in Living with Arthritis archive
I mentioned somewhere, on some thread, that it would be nice if the recent new knee people got together in a year or so to do something we all haven't been able to do for ages, like go for an enjoyable walk! Also meet each other, drink tea and coffee etc. A couple of people liked the idea, and the more I think about it, the more I like it too.

So, it's early days yet, but who would be interested? I don't want to leave out anyone, so while primarily for this year's new knees, if anyone else wants to come, that's fine. We'd have to meet somewhere central for all of us, and that'll depend a bit on where we all live. I'm not sure how best to organise this; it might be easiest for the person nearest where we decide to meet to arrange things. I'd be happy for you all to come over to my place in Derbyshire, but that might be a bit much, for instance, for Julia in Sussex! And maybe someone could volunteer to remind us all, say next Spring, as maybe now is a bit early to get things going.

Just throwing out ideas really, but who would like to come, and does anyone have any more thoughts?

Comments

• elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Im not in this club yet but will have mine hopefully by the end of the year...It does seem however that a lot of peeps are down south, im in cumbria so may be too far away but would be lovely to put faces to names!!

Elainex
    I mentioned somewhere, on some thread, that it would be nice if the recent new knee people got together in a year or so to do something we all haven't been able to do for ages, like go for an enjoyable walk! Also meet each other, drink tea and coffee etc. A couple of people liked the idea, and the more I think about it, the more I like it too.

So, it's early days yet, but who would be interested? I don't want to leave out anyone, so while primarily for this year's new knees, if anyone else wants to come, that's fine. We'd have to meet somewhere central for all of us, and that'll depend a bit on where we all live. I'm not sure how best to organise this; it might be easiest for the person nearest where we decide to meet to arrange things. I'd be happy for you all to come over to my place in Derbyshire, but that might be a bit much, for instance, for Julia in Sussex! And maybe someone could volunteer to remind us all, say next Spring, as maybe now is a bit early to get things going.

Just throwing out ideas really, but who would like to come, and does anyone have any more thoughts?
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    What a lovely Idea, I wont be having a TKR but how nice would it be for you to meet up with people that have ...I do hope it all comes together next spring ..suppose its the traveling depending on where people live.x
    Love
    Barbara
  • Helenbothknees
    Right, I'm in Derbyshire, Elaine is in Cumbria, Julia I believe said she was in Sussex, the others I don't know....

I'd be happy for us all to meet here at my place, drink coffee, go for a walk in the Peak District (wow, but maybe!) or whatever. This is in the middle of the country (sort of) but isn't the easiest of places to get to without a car. Maybe we'd be better meeting in a city with good transport links - London, Birmingham, Manchester?

Any other ideas? Post if you're interested, and we have lots of time to work it out.....

And Barbara and others, if we do it others are welcome too.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Well Im just outside Manchester and I would love to come..we have talked about this before...all meeting up up somewhere central.... :D
    Love
    Barbara
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    please don't make me travel to the wrong side of the pennines :shock:
    I'm in Leeds..
    Gotta car though so would be up for travelling.
    Also.. No new knees in the pipeline for me yet.. I wish :roll:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • JuliaHod12
    JuliaHod12 Member Posts: 456
    I could do Manchester area............my sister lives there :-)
  • marrianne
    marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
    Its a b rilliant idea ,knees new and old and everyone ,location well j well think ust keep up the ideas Derbyshire is good for me ,but appreciate its difficult for some of us ,think fairly rural though if we are haveing a walk everywhere seems to have country park ..tea room ..pub etc ,Marrianne :)
  • SteveBurns
    SteveBurns Member Posts: 177
    Hi all I'm in Merseyside, The Wirral to be exact. Just a couple of hours away from Derbyshire so its a possible for me. :D
  • Helenbothknees
    OK, it's a long time to next summer, and we can keep throwing out ideas, and not all new knees have replied, but....

A few miles from me is Carsington Water. Huge reservoir, lovely countryside, visitor centre with cafes and shops, lots of parking, lots of walks of varying length round the lake, mainly very easy, boat hire etc. We could meet in the restaurant there for coffee or a meal; then arrange walks, shopping, etc. You can also hire walker things with wheels (not sure what they're called) for anyone who wants to come along on the walk but can't quite manage it. I think there's bike hire too. Also a pub in Carsington village. If anyone wanted to bring the family or make a weekend of it I could find out about camping/caravan sites and B & Bs. Keen walkers/cyclists can follow a trail right round the lake - about 8 miles; I did it with difficulty about six years ago; the last time I could manage to walk that far. :cry:

The only thing it doesn't have is decent public transport links - train to Derby, then bus to Ashbourne, then (infrequent) bus to Carsington Water. So it is do-able.

It's not perfect, but it's an idea. Any thoughts? Any other suggestions?
  • pegleg
    pegleg Member Posts: 139
    I'm in Leicestershire so Derbyshire great for me :D x
  • elainebadknee
    Im not great with centre of Manchester and me old car dont have satnav!! But its a while away yet!!

Elainex
  • Helenbothknees
    We're all open to suggestions Elaine. Cumbria has some nice places....

Anyway, you can avoid Manchester to get to Derbyshire - M6, A50, A515, and you're nearly there. But it would be a long trip, I know.
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    I think Derbyshire sounds quite fair, it's central in the country more or less. And hopefully those from the OUTER EDGES of the world could manage? We will never please everyone though, that's a fact but can try our very best.. :D
    I think it would be a brilliant idea.
    The locals won't know what's hit em... A tsunami of folks with bad joints lol

I really hope this comes off.. We will have to wear name tags lol
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • marrianne
    Oh Tony sounds very good to me Derbyshire .good for Manchester and all those who can cross the Pennines .....dear Julia in Sussex well may be a lift Elaine ....very north like very south it can still be done .............oh hope it doesnt turn into a big ..........drunken naughty :lol::lol::lol: BUT then again cucumber sandwiches and a cream tea or a pint of real ale is just as good Marrianne :lol::)
  • Helenbothknees
    Sussex and Cumbria are probably both about 3-4 hours drive, so may be possible, especially if people make a weekend of it. But I'm quite open to any better ideas, eg somewhere near a train station. Any more ideas?

And we'll show Derbyshire a bunch of people with new bionic joints which work! :D:D:D (and a few others too of course).
  • elainebadknee
    Sorry Derbyshire out of question for me...Ive been that way to near Worksop and it dont take 2.30 hours as said, its a hellish road!!

Elainex
    We're all open to suggestions Elaine. Cumbria has some nice places....

Anyway, you can avoid Manchester to get to Derbyshire - M6, A50, A515, and you're nearly there. But it would be a long trip, I know.
  • marrianne
    Oh lets not worry to much about our meeting point ,we will do it lifts can be giveni ,Tony as an Emmerdale fan and I believe the Kaths are Yorkshire ok Elaine is close to the wonderful lake distrrict, and we al love down south lets just stay friends ans sort it out nearer the time its such a lovely idea Helen dont let it go dead in the water ,Marrianne :)
  • marrianne
    sorry about my typo s Marrianne :)
  • Helenbothknees
    OK Elaine, sorry about that. Where do YOU think we should meet?

Actually Worksop is way, way further East. To get to Cumbria from here, I take the A515 for 13 miles, which is not a bad road. After that it's the A50, which is fast dual carriageway, to south of Stoke-on-Trent, then the M6 all the way after that. I think it's about 4 hours, though I'm not certain (I didn't say 2.30, definitely more than that!).

I don't know how to please people who live in Cumbria and those who live in Sussex too, but entirely open to any more suggestions which might suit all!!!

Marrianne, we'll all stay friends, all keep in touch over winter, and see if we can sort something out. And yes, if anyone is prepared to give lifts all or part way, that might solve a lot of problems. So do say!
  • elainebadknee
    Helen

I just looked up the route planner for derbyshire but knew that nottingham was way further than it stated which was 2.30hours....Just my experience of travelling there in the past...
    It can be sorted out nearer the time as marianne says and with us all spread about the uk may be an idea to split....Lifts may be an option too....

Elainex

OK Elaine, sorry about that. Where do YOU think we should meet?

Actually Worksop is way, way further East. To get to Cumbria from here, I take the A515 for 13 miles, which is not a bad road. After that it's the A50, which is fast dual carriageway, to south of Stoke-on-Trent, then the M6 all the way after that. I think it's about 4 hours, though I'm not certain (I didn't say 2.30, definitely more than that!).

I don't know how to please people who live in Cumbria and those who live in Sussex too, but entirely open to any more suggestions which might suit all!!!

Marrianne, we'll all stay friends, all keep in touch over winter, and see if we can sort something out. And yes, if anyone is prepared to give lifts all or part way, that might solve a lot of problems. So do say!