Pain relief

Midlandtiler
Midlandtiler Member Posts: 14
edited 10. Sep 2012, 09:49 in Say Hello Archive
Hi !! My name is jay I'm 42 and have cervical oa 2 to 7 with four thin discs ,, have problems with my elbows wrists and knees ! Have only been diagnosed with my neck ,, which is servere and I'm in constant pain !! My issue is pain control / relief !! I'm on naproxen, 9xgabapentin , paracetamol and 8 tramadol a day ,, max on all !! Worked for a while ! now no good !! Seeing specsilist in two weeks ? Docs have told me next step is morphine,, but after I've got up to max dose because of becoming tolerant there is no where else for me to go !! Has anyone advice about pain relief and will morphine work long term !! Thanks

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello, it's nice to meet you and I hope we can help with information and support.

One of the major problems we face when living with arthritis is pain. For quite a few of us it's there, twanging away, morning noon and night. My view is that the term pain killer is a complete misnomer. Killed things are gone forever - pain is like ground elder, it's nigh on impossible to get rid of it. :wink: I have two forms of arthritis, an auto-immune type and OA (caused by joint damage) and have been in pain for fifteen years or more. I was on nap but that did very little for pain relief and now I take diclofenac which I find more effective. I've used oromorph and tramadol but the pain never went away and always returned so I've cut it right down so that when I do need the stronger stuff I can feel the difference. I like the term 'pain dullers' because that is all they do, they dull the sharper edges of it allowing us to get on with things without feeling too foggy or hazy due to the dopy effects of the stronger meds. It's not easy though, I have a goodly number of affected joints and I do get fed up with it all hurting but I have to get on with it. I fear there is no Holy Grail of pain relief but there are other ways of reducing pain - I think AC has a booklet about pain and ways to ease it so that may be worth a read. Pain clinics can also advise on other ways to reduce pain but I don't know as I've never been. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Midlandtiler
    Hi !! My name is jay I'm 42 and have cervical oa 2 to 7 with four thin discs ,, have problems with my elbows wrists and knees ! Have only been diagnosed with my neck ,, which is servere and I'm in constant pain !! My issue is pain control / relief !! I'm on naproxen, 9xgabapentin , paracetamol and 8 tramadol a day ,, max on all !! Worked for a while ! now no good !! Seeing specsilist in two weeks ? Docs have told me next step is morphine,, but after I've got up to max dose because of becoming tolerant there is no where else for me to go !! Has anyone advice about pain relief and will morphine work long term !! Thanks
    Help
  • Midlandtiler
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Hello, it's nice to meet you and I hope we can help with information and support.

One of the major problems we face when living with arthritis is pain. For quite a few of us it's there, twanging away, morning noon and night. My view is that the term pain killer is a complete misnomer. Killed things are gone forever - pain is like ground elder, it's nigh on impossible to get rid of it. :wink: I have two forms of arthritis, an auto-immune type and OA (caused by joint damage) and have been in pain for fifteen years or more. I was on nap but that did very little for pain relief and now I take diclofenac which I find more effective. I've used oromorph and tramadol but the pain never went away and always returned so I've cut it right down so that when I do need the stronger stuff I can feel the difference. I like the term 'pain dullers' because that is all they do, they dull the sharper edges of it allowing us to get on with things without feeling too foggy or hazy due to the dopy effects of the stronger meds. It's not easy though, I have a goodly number of affected joints and I do get fed up with it all hurting but I have to get on with it. I fear there is no Holy Grail of pain relief but there are other ways of reducing pain - I think AC has a booklet about pain and ways to ease it so that may be worth a read. Pain clinics can also advise on other ways to reduce pain but I don't know as I've never been. I wish you well. DD
    Hi thanks for the reply !! Have tried diclofenac over the years from 12 years ago !! No help for me but we are all different
  • Midlandtiler
    Is any one on morphine for oa and what are affects and how well does it work ,, kind regards jay
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Hi Jay

Just to say I have posted a reply to your thread on "living with arthritis" forum.

Tilly xxx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Jay

Just wanted to say hello from a fellow midlander :wink: I have inflammatory arthritis, but also cervical spond C5&6 and have had surgery on the lumbar too

Have they considered surgical options for you l wonder? I only ask as you sound to be suffering a LOT. I am on bu-trans patches myself - not morphine, but gives me a constant dose of the meds rather than that boost you get taking them over the day.

I am assuming that over the years you will have tried most of the pain meds on offer - ooh another tought - have you tried a pain clinic at all? I only ask as they are the 'experts' in just that, pain.

Love

Toni xx