Osteoarthritis In Ankle?

Options
Joe2cool
Joe2cool Member Posts: 17
Hi my wife as be diagnosed with osteoarthritis in the ankle & was wondering which painkillers are the best or any other recommended medication? My wife is still very active,

Appreciate any help

Thx

Comments

• hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Joe
    I have read your other posts about fusion in the ankle.
    Sorry about your wife.
    None of us are medically trained so cant advise on medication.
    You need to check with your GP about that
    Sorry I'm not much help

Love
    Hileena
  • Joe2cool
    Options
    Hi thank you for quick reply.
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Good morning Joe

GP's prescibe painkillers and anti-inflammatories for OA, depending on how bad the symptoms are. It is trial and error really as to what meds suit a patient, so it is best discussed with the GP. If taken regularly they can help.

Before my Total Knee Replacements I was prescribed cocodamol 30/500 tabs daily and two arcoxia 60mg daily. Unfortunately all meds seem to have some side effects.

Some people find ankle supports of help.

Elna x (member of the forum)
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • Joe2cool
    Options
    Hi thank you again
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,490
    Options
    Hi Joe

Unfortunately we can’t advise on the best medication to take, as a medication that works well with one person may have no effect with another. For a list of the different types of medication see the booklet Coping with pain at http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Listedbytype/Booklets/main_content/Copingwithpainbooklet2011.pdf.

If your wife hasn’t already, seeing a physiotherapist may help (she can ask for a referral from her doctor) as they will be offer treatment like massage, ultrasound and exercises, as well as being able to offer advice on supports for the ankle.

You are welcome to ring us on 0808 800 4050 if you would like to have a chat about this.

All the best

Nick
    Helplines Team
  • Joe2cool
    Options
    Thx very helpful, I will pass on the information
  • varanandy
    varanandy Member Posts: 2
    Options
    The anti-inflammatory medication and physiotherapy in order to allow more flexibility and greater activity. Injections to lubricate the ankle joint or cortisone to damp down inflammation can help but at best their effect is only temporary. If conservative treatment fails to provide sufficient pain relief, surgery may be necessary.
    www.theveincarecenter.com
  • Joe2cool
    Options
    Thank you