4 year old with jia on abatacept

charleex
charleex Member Posts: 2
edited 20. Sep 2012, 07:10 in My child has arthritis
hiya my 4 year old daughter was diagnosed with polyarticular jia 2 years ago and no medication has worked for her so far. she has been put on abatacept and sulphasalazine and she is having joint injections she has just started school and seems to think she is the only person who has arthritis i would be greatfull if anyone had any advice for me about how to explain it all to her. at school they are doing the subject how my body works and feels we are assuming this is why the questions are being asked thank you x x

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello charleex. I’m not a parent of a child with arthritis, just an ordinary forum member who has had Stills Disease since I was 15 – which is a long time ago.

I know I’d much rather have this myself than have to watch my sons or grandsons cope with it (Luckily, they don’t have to) and I do feel for all parents of small children, especially if, as in your little one’s case, the meds are, so far, not helping. I hope that changes soon.

I can’t really help on the school front except to ask if you’ve had a look at AC’s publications aimed at parents of children who have this disease. http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Youngpeopleandfamilies
    Hopefully, there might be something there to help.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright