Greetings

Fitzroy
Fitzroy Member Posts: 32
edited 28. Sep 2012, 05:38 in Say Hello Archive
Greetings everyone, I'm a Canadian living in the Vancouver area. I have a bum hip, or two, the other one has no real symptoms. I've had some hip pain for many years but enjoyed most any activity I wished to do. About 3 years ago I felt something weird in my R hip during a stretch and that started the long road of pain, loss of ROM and limited activity I've been living with since. I still can't believe such a simple event could do all this. I guess the OA has been brewing and that one stretch was the trigger. I've seen a orthopedic surgeon and have had a CT scan done and it shows moderate OA with joint space narrowing, osteophytes and cysts on both hips. The amount of cartilage wear is not that great. The local public health team who handles hip and knee replacements tells me I'm good for at least ten years based on what I have left. But they don't live with the discomfort and loss of lifestyle. I'm 55, still have kids I could go skiing or biking or backpacking with if I could do those things. AT 50 I was sailing my own boat down the coast of the US to San Diego, now I have a hard time getting in and out of a car. I am a good weight, 157 lbs for a 5'10", I exercise everyday what I can. This varies a lot. I do every thing I can that would be healthy for me and help with recovery. I have brought my hip back a long way towards functional but seems to be at the limit of what I can achieve. I can carry on like this for a long time but wonder if I shouldn't press for a THR. I have had a Durolane shot (hyaluronic acid) once and it seemed to help for about 6 months and am setting up for another one soon. It's a tricky road this whole OA thing. Jump too soon this happens, move too fast pain happens.

Best and thanks,

Fitzroy

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Fitzroy. It’s good to meet you though, as we say in these parts, I’m sorry you had to find us. My OA is a result of years of RA but the end product is the same.

I think you’re probably right that the stretching was just the trigger and the OA had actually been brewing for some time. You sound as if you’ve done very well in handling the pain and getting the hip as good as possible.

I’ve not had Durolane but I had steroids injected into my knees and shoulders a few times. They are only a temporary solution but great while they last.

You’re quite right that it’s a tricky road to manage. I have two TKRs and two THRs. My knees went first and I got new ones aged 35 but, as I’m RA, I was never going to do loads of athletic stuff that would wear them out quickly. One of them was replaced two years ago. The other’s still OK at 31 yrs. My hips are younger.

I think you sound to be doing most things right so it’s hard to advise you. Have you looked at the ‘Publications & Resources’? You might find something of help in there. Also there are a variety of pain meds, some of which help some people and other others. There seems t.o be no one-size-fits-all solution.

We’re a very friendly crowd on here so do feel free to jump in on any thread and say whatever you want or, if you have any questions, put them on the Living With Arthritis forum as more people hang out there. Good luck and I look forward to seeing you around.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Fitzroy
    Many thanks for the welcome StickyWicket.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,334
    Lovely to meet you Fitzroy :D

My name is Toni and I have inflammatory arthritis and some OA too (back/neck).

So many folks on here I know seem to have to suffer too long when a joint is agony, affecting the quality of their lives and could be fixed :roll:

On your shoes what would I do? I am guessing you jab had a similar effect to our steroid jabs? If so you may be able to keep going for a bit longer with planned regular jabs.

BUT it does get to the point where you may need to stand up for yourself (Sorry) and assert yourself and tell them enough is enough and request the THR sooner rather than later.

Here we have our national Health Service and are bound by their rules too, I don't know your system, but would hope that it is as good. Joints can last a heck of a lot longer than they think you know.

Anyway please do join in the boards if you like - we have considerably less men on here and they will appreciate the company :wink: The board benefits from diversity too :)

Take care

Toni xx
  • archaeobard
    archaeobard Member Posts: 30
    Hi Fitzroy! I joined the forum yesterday and have been made to feel very welcome. I've already found some interesting items to help me and have had a laugh.

I love Canada. I spent a couple of months with friends on Vancouver Island in 2001, just when my RA was beginning to raise it's ugly head. Despite that I had a wonderful time.

You sound like you have a lot of positive things going for you, particularly the amount of exercise you do. I stopped being very active because of pain and have clapped on the pounds over the years. It is much much harder to get rid of with messed up joints and I regret not simply gritting my teeth, but that is easier said than done.

I hope you find what you need here. Sometimes it is nice to just talk to people with similar problems. I know even in a day my mental attitude has improved.

Kat
    Pain's just nature's way of saying, 'Hey, you're alive!'

Ares in "Forget Me Not" from Xena: Warrior Princess.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi Fitzroy
    And a warm welcome from me
    Like you I have OA in my hips and a few other places, but but at 61 am quite a bit older, :roll:
    You will find this forum full of information, and its good to talk to people that understand some of what you are going through,and we do like to have a laugh...so you will find that in chitchat...must say it does help. :D
    Hope to see you posting more very soon x
    Love
    Barbara
  • Fitzroy
    Wow, what a bunch of friendly people. If misery loves company this is a good place.

I see all my old friends still out doing so much and it drives me crazy sometimes. What is irritating is the unpredictability of the pain. Some days I can walk or cycle quite well then hurt after. Other days I don't hurt after. Still other days I start off in pain but it quickly abates and I'm fine and then there are the days when nothing is right. You get the picture I'm sure. So I find I go out by myself more often. I tell a good joke but seeing as I already know the punch line I don't laugh that hard when I'm alone. It's hard when you tell your friends you can make it an hour but end up stopping after 10 minutes. You feel you're disappointing them.

Our system here seems to run a protocol of meds and procedures until a THR is warranted. I know a nice active gentleman in his 80's from the pool I go to. He is always running 10km runs etc, always has. His hip went to zero spacing without symptoms and is in for a THR. It's simple for him. I hear how I'm too young, or I have too much good cartilage and they are right in many respects. It isn't a straight forward decision. That's one of the reasons I'm here. To help me decide which route and when I should go. Thanks again for your cheery attitudes.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,334
    Fitzroy

I wish I had said my MIL went to teh Gps with hip pain and 3 months later was in for the op!!!!

AMAZING how that can happen in some areas though she was in her early 70's by then so no age issue :roll:

Hope you will keep posting as i said we are short of men and the ones we have need company!!

Love

Toni xx
  • Fitzroy
    Thanks ibucker,

I'm doing fairly well today, lousy yesterday and super well the day before. Sounds normal right? How about you?
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Hi Fiztroy welcome I am pretty new here myself I see by the posts you have found that there is lots of support around here and everyone being so friendly helps hope this finds you well.....tc....Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles