haemaglobin levels

daylily
daylily Member Posts: 619
edited 29. Sep 2012, 08:13 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all,

Just been diagnosed with low iron levels and haemaglobin is low as well.
Does anyone know if this affects osteo arthritis??????
Every single joint in my body is hurting worse than ever, just wondered if the two medical problems are linked.

Hope you have all come through the floods OK and that it has stopped raining where ever you are.
Take care all.
x

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Daylily, I've had low iron and haemoglobin on a couple of occasions but it didn't seem to make anything worse for me with either arthritis. Could it be the low pressure weather that's getting to your joints? I know mine have been rough over the past few days and I think some of it's due to the weather. Are you going to be given a course of iron tablets? They do help but can have a 'bunging' effect (hope you catch my drift :wink: ) Apart from this I hope you are as well as you can be, Mr DL too. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • daylily
    Hi DD,
    Yes I have the iron tablets and quinine to help the leg cramps, has helped a bit. I am waiting for an appointment with a neurologist for some reason, with luck he will find my brain somewhere, it seems to have gone awol at the moment!!!!!!!
    Mr DL is slightly worse but only to be expected as he had another mini-stroke (tia) about a month ago. He's still placid and I only have to ask him to do something, ie sit down-stand up etc and he usually does it.
    Hope you and Mr DD are keeping as well as can be.
    At least the rain has stopped here for the time being.
    Stay well DD and take care.
    x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Cramp comes up on here quite a bit - quinine is good (tonic water is a good source, don't forget the gin :wink: ) and bananas help too as they contain good levels of potassium. For the iron side of things a number of foods are high in that - watercress springs to mind, liver and I think some nuts are a good source (but I'm not sure). As for Mr DL - I am so sorry to read that he has had a TIA, poor chap. Oh dear. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    daylily wrote:
    Hi DD,
    Yes I have the iron tablets and quinine to help the leg cramps, has helped a bit. I am waiting for an appointment with a neurologist for some reason, with luck he will find my brain somewhere, it seems to have gone awol at the moment!!!!!!!
    Mr DL is slightly worse but only to be expected as he had another mini-stroke (tia) about a month ago. He's still placid and I only have to ask him to do something, ie sit down-stand up etc and he usually does it.
    Hope you and Mr DD are keeping as well as can be.
    At least the rain has stopped here for the time being.
    Stay well DD and take care.
    x

Hi Daylily pleased to meet you I'm new here, sorry to hear you are having a rough time at the moment hope the iron tablets help soon, have you ever tried drinking tonic water for the cramps as opposed to taking meds it really worked for me and very quickly, what are you seeing a neurologist for if you don't mind me asking I have a neurological condition as well as OA......sorry to hear about your husband hope things get a bit better for you soon...... glad the rain has stopped where you are the heavens have opened here......tc......Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • daylily
    Hi Marie,

Yes I have started drinking a full pint of tonic water a couple of hours before bedtime, quite like the taste actually.Either the iron or the quinine/tonic has done something as the restless leg syndrome is definately improved, at least I can sleep now for a few hours. It was getting pretty hard managing hubby's dementia when I was exhausted.
    Not sure what the neurologist is for, my legs have been going very weak on standing so combined with the restless leg thingy I think the Doc thought someone had better take a look.
    Think they are being careful as Mum had MS which started with weak legs, personally I don't think it is that.
    The sun is shining brightly today so we're having a long postponed trip to the local tip!!!!!!
    take care
    x
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    daylily wrote:
    Hi Marie,

Yes I have started drinking a full pint of tonic water a couple of hours before bedtime, quite like the taste actually.Either the iron or the quinine/tonic has done something as the restless leg syndrome is definately improved, at least I can sleep now for a few hours. It was getting pretty hard managing hubby's dementia when I was exhausted.
    Not sure what the neurologist is for, my legs have been going very weak on standing so combined with the restless leg thingy I think the Doc thought someone had better take a look.
    Think they are being careful as Mum had MS which started with weak legs, personally I don't think it is that.
    The sun is shining brightly today so we're having a long postponed trip to the local tip!!!!!!
    take care
    x

Hi Daylily

I'm so pleased something is starting to work for you......gosh no wonder you were exhausted so sorry to hear about your husbands dementia it must be so hard for you to cope and heartbreaking........I will keep everything crossed for you that it is not MS you have, I see lots of it every few weeks when I'm in hospital getting my treatment it breaks my heart especially when there are youngsters at 17 with it, although the drug they get(tysabri) apparantly keeps it in remission....... will hear how you get on......tc......Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    No advice, daylily but I do hope the neurologist will be able to help. I'm very sorry about your husband and very impressed by how you cope so uncomplainingly. (())
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • lizzy100
    lizzy100 Member Posts: 235
    iron levels are nothing to do with OA. OA is degenerative due to age.
    You can get anaemia with inflammatory athritis ie RA because its an anaeamia of chronic disease.
    its probably dietary or due to blood loss.
  • deedeeitsme
    deedeeitsme Member Posts: 321
    Hi Daylily so glad you have got your restless legs/cramps sorted out somewhat now. Sorry to hear about your husband, it can be so stressful sometimes especially caring for someone when you are not well yourself. My mum has just been diagnosed with vasculary dementia and I care for her a couple of days a week to give my dad a break (he loves fishing) and for most of the time she is quite placid but she does have moments where she says what she thinks whether it be nasty or nice and believe me I have had some very cringeworthy moments when we have been out :o .

Take care x Dee x