The cold

Crystaljigsaw
Crystaljigsaw Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Sep 2012, 12:09 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi.
Am newly diagnosed. Hip and knee. Have been getting less mobile over the last few years.
With the recent drop in temperature has reminded me how painful the cold can be. Especially when out. As I have deteriorated since last winter am now very worried about the coming months.
Any tips on dealing with the cold.
Thank you.

Comments

• lizzy100
    lizzy100 Member Posts: 235
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    do you have OA? mines inflammatory and not really that affected by cold, i mean its bad without cold so doesnt make much difference. But my mum has OA in hip and knee which is bad with cold. She has leg warmer type gloves that go over the knees. i think she finds them helpful
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello Crystaljigsaw. It's good to meet you. I have mostly RA and I've never found the cold made any difference, only wet. I'm sure some other OAers will be along soon.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    ski thermals always good warm socks and gloves might help i have to use scarf as neck soon feels cold good luck val
    val
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, it's nice to meet you. I never found the cold to be a factor with my auto-immune version but since the OA joined the party it can make a difference, damp rainy weather too. Keep the affected joints as warm as you can and when you're resting use a hot water bottle or wheat bag either under or over the joints to keep them cosy. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    I really suffer in the cold and hate these coming months. I'm lucky that my OH & I try and get away for the christmas break. But other than that I literally hibernate when it gets cold snuggle up in my warm clothes bootie slippers and snoods. And stay warm!
  • pinkbritishstars
    pinkbritishstars Member Posts: 731
    What is a snood?

I have IA and OA and am bad all year round.

Pink xx
    bubbadog wrote:
    I really suffer in the cold and hate these coming months. I'm lucky that my OH & I try and get away for the christmas break. But other than that I literally hibernate when it gets cold snuggle up in my warm clothes bootie slippers and snoods. And stay warm!