The Jonny Wilkinson crouch and feeling cold.

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 29. Sep 2012, 15:53 in Living with Arthritis archive
I lumped my way into our over-bath shower this morning and suddenly it hit me: when showering I look like Jonny preparing to take a penalty. I am sure - OK I hope - you remember that knees-bent-hands-linked pose he struck when taking a conversion or penalty kick and yes, that is me, well at least the knees bent thing. I find it eases the strain on my nasty joints but I feel a twerp doing it. :oops: Never mind, eh?

As for the cold thing - tonight I felt properly chilly for the first time in ages. It was pleasant but then became irksome so I succumbed (I was only wearing a nightdress) and dug out a sweatshirt. Initially I wished I'd been bothered to find a fleece but within five minutes the sweatshirt was peeled off and the fan switched on. Why can't I stay at one comfy temperature for any length of time? It's the same in bed, he begins with just the duvet (we've now increased to a 4.5tog) and then at some point adds the fleece blanket. I start with the duvet then fling it off, drag it back, fling it off, drag back etc etc etc. Grrrrrrr. :x I just wanna be comfy - surely that's not too much to ask? DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I think you have the makings of a useful exercise regime there, DD.

I think I may struggle to rid myself of the Jonny DD Wilkinson image. (But I'll keep trying. I'd like to get some sleep tonight. :wink: )
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Good luck with that, old girl! (as we say in this household). DD (who is feeling chily again but won't do anything because melt time is just around the corner. Ye gods.) (Tilly had months of this but to even greater extremes so why am I moaning?)
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Because it's now you and not her? It's also not a great moan, in the grand order of moans.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    It wasn't a moan as such - just an observation. I wonder why it happens - I reckon in my case it's meds related, I am cold now but I'm going to bed, give it five minutes and I'll be melting again (and not due to 'im indoors being there). It's exasperating. And tiring. Hey-ho, I'm off to create an alphabet list of three syllable words ending in /er/ - another, banister, canister, decider, engender, forever, gatherer, however, insider etc etc etc. DD
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    I lumped my way into our over-bath shower this morning and suddenly it hit me: when showering I look like Jonny preparing to take a penalty. I am sure - OK I hope - you remember that knees-bent-hands-linked pose he struck when taking a conversion or penalty kick and yes, that is me, well at least the knees bent thing. I find it eases the strain on my nasty joints but I feel a twerp doing it. :oops: Never mind, eh?

As for the cold thing - tonight I felt properly chilly for the first time in ages. It was pleasant but then became irksome so I succumbed (I was only wearing a nightdress) and dug out a sweatshirt. Initially I wished I'd been bothered to find a fleece but within five minutes the sweatshirt was peeled off and the fan switched on. Why can't I stay at one comfy temperature for any length of time? It's the same in bed, he begins with just the duvet (we've now increased to a 4.5tog) and then at some point adds the fleece blanket. I start with the duvet then fling it off, drag it back, fling it off, drag back etc etc etc. Grrrrrrr. :x I just wanna be comfy - surely that's not too much to ask? DD

arggggh know how you feel one minute frezzin next roasting throwing duvet off duvet on...... oh god the tog on my duvet is I think about 14....
    in my situation have OA in my hands and I have sensory an atonomic nerv
    damage that is causing most of my problems but my arthur hands add to my condition big time
    what I can see that some of arthritic and neuropathic problems can go
    together so hopefully we can all help one another has anyone got the same problem....x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    well have changed to 10.5 quilt but can be sat or layed in same place and go from chilled to sweating back to chilled for no reason does my head in and yes i do the quilt shuffle as well good for keeping joints moving not so great for good nights sleep lol also can have red hot hands and feet and freezing legs back etc val
    val
  • Nicchick
    Nicchick Member Posts: 191
    Oh dear!

I have this too and have yet to sync with OH which meant we had the back door open last night because he was hot and I gritted my teeth...woken up at mine as warm as toast and trying to chill down a bit...not too much though!

Ironic that removing and adding clothes is tricky with dodgy digits and yet necessary for comfort!

Hope you find the comfort zone and thanks for the image.....

Nic x
  • creakyowl
    creakyowl Member Posts: 63
    With you on this DD!

I have a 2 tog (not easy to find, believe me!) quilt and a fleece blanket on the side for pulling on and off at intervals. At least I am alone so can manage as I choose now. Mr C decided he "couldn't cope with a disabled wife with RA" and pushed off!

The question of whether to have the window open as well, or not, taxes the tired brain every night too. :roll: Will I be able to get out of bed and close it if necessary?? Who can say we aren't given plenty of choice with this infernal illness? :lol:
  • Nicchick
    Nicchick Member Posts: 191
    Sorry to hear about Mr C...my ex (charming fella!) described living with a formerly fit 37 year old who suddenly became ill with arthritis 'as what it must be like to live with an old lady' his own mother told me to dump him as he was so selfish and she didn't think it was fair on me to stay with him.

Arthur spoils us rotten with his attentions and all the choices we get....;)

Nic x
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,899
    Hello DD
    we have that stance as well how i stopped being cold we have the heating on full and when i go out i wear my thermal vest.
    all the best DD take care.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Comfy , DD ? Don't remember that ! Jillyb
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Hi DD

first i read this as jonny wilkinson crotch :lol:

I hope last night was a little more comfortable for you. :)

On Thursday night I was freezing too and OH almost went for the fleece blanket but I said no it was ok. I am glad he didn't as I woke up later on and had to pull the duvet down to my waist as i was boiling. :roll:

Love Juliepf x
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    I used to have freezing hands and feet but now they are always warm. I do the duvet thing too in bed and my cardi is on and off all evening while watching tv. I live alone too so can please myself. I'd only keep someone awake all night if I had a partner. My rheumie said it was the extra blood flow as I'm not on any meds except for paracetamol when needed, which is most of the time now.
    Christine